Gridiron Dynasty 3.1 - User Interface Upgrade Topic

Basically, the players that quit after one or two seasons are lazy people that don't want to put the time in and get upset when things don't go how they want it to go. Instead of trying to get better, they quit. Though some may not like the game as well. Now, like someone else said, what happens when the coach goes from D3 to D2? Gonna get killed because they have no idea how to do the more in-depth stuff, then they will quit D2, then the change will be made to D2 and so on and so on. D3, just like in RL, is a learning ground for new the new coaches that want to move up one day. Some decide to stay in D3 for whatever reason, some decide to move up. Either way, it's a learning ground. Hard to learn anything when there is nothing there for you to learn, so you are just as clueless when you get to D2.

This to me is generally correct, Div 3 is the best place to learn how the game works, there is no danger of getting fired and as you take on your recruits your team should improve to help you understand what works and what doesn't. This new  "idea" will just create a division full, if they are really lucky, of coaches with little knowledge and less ability to move up. If veteran coaches are allowed to stay in D3 new players can join these divisions and learn from the coaches already there, I know from my experiences if I had questions on the coaches forum no coach was ever unwilling to help the newbies.

4/24/2014 6:59 AM

We should all keep in mind that this is a game for a unique type of person - a college football fan who likes strategy games involving math and geography, and who is willing to work for 4-6 months to build a winning team.   No matter what changes WIS makes to the interface, lazy people who want instant gratification aren't going to last any longer than people who play GD as a way to meet girls.

4/24/2014 9:14 AM
The question is are you giving D3 coaches refunds/credits, especially if they are in year 3 of rebuilds. That is a lot of wasted time and effort.
4/24/2014 9:25 AM
Gosh, it would be so cool if we could see these things in beta worlds first so we could understand and see the impact for ourselves, instead of everyone (including myself) having a knee jerk reaction on how much it's going to dumb down the game at D3.   Radical concept, I know.
4/24/2014 9:33 AM
Mr. Hazlewood is right on the money, as usual.
4/24/2014 10:17 AM
Beta would be great if WIS would also listen to what the users learn and suggest. However, they don't really have a history of doing so. They are pretty good at just throwing things at us and seeing what happens. Given how poorly most people deal with change it shouldn't surprise anyone that most users will have a fairly strong and negative reaction initially. As in most things the majority will calm down and at least give it all a chance. I still think it stinks the way it is being done when there are other solutions. Again if WIS was asking for suggestions and actually listening to them this wouldn't be happening.
4/24/2014 10:43 AM
Maybe new players quit after one or two seasons because the customer service is awful, or the "culture" is diseased from disapointment in Beta, or there is no fatigue or injuries, or lack of a decent game guide, or disapointment there is no WIS representative who is active in the forums to answer questions and/or respond to tickets. 

Last time I checked, losing to established teams is very much a part of college football.   Why not address these other issues if you want to keep new players?  ANyonje who starts any new game is going to be weak when starting out whether it is a sports game, a puzzlegame or WoW.   Nerfing never helps!!! 
4/24/2014 6:48 PM
To keep an audience, you have to give them a reason to stay. If the game is too complicated to start, and there is minimal learning material, there's no chance to keep the majority of them. It would behoove them (WIS) to improve their help/turorial/support system if they want to be serious about bringing in more long-time paying customers. But I doubt that this will happen. 
4/24/2014 7:33 PM
So here's my question. I've spent the last five seasons rebuilding a diii team to try to make a run at a title. Since they are completely changing the game that I have invested money without any previous notification that this time will have been a complete waste. How do I get my f'ing money back. I'f id wanted to coach a team above diii, I would (and already do I another world). The simple solution here is to have an on off switch like for advanced depth charts so we can decide what experience we as the paying customers want. Otherwise someone owes me fifty bucks. Where do I apply for my refund?
4/25/2014 7:09 AM
Posted by oriole_fan on 4/23/2014 10:04:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for all the input and the well wishes everyone :)

When we heard the idea for a tutorial we knew that it was a great idea, in fact we had been contemplating something similar for a long time. In response we constructed the new interface to guide you though the pages like a tutorial might, easing the pain points and creating a much easier flow to construct the game plan that is desired. I know that there will be a some veteran users will see this thread and immediately be off-put by the creation of a new interface. I also know that some of our longest tenured veterans have been longing for a interface that will allow them to control their team like they want. Our first goal in this change was to ease pain points, and this we have done well. The second was to give as much control while reducing the complexity, this we have also done quite well. While you are reading this thread you will think the sky is falling, that much is already clear. Just remember, at What If we are striving to create a game that will not only keep the veterans happy, but also update a game that will make it fun to play. Before you give up on this, try the new features. I actually think that you will like them. Perhaps that's just me being optimistic and enjoying playing this game again, but as a veteran who has been with a while, I implore you to give this new interface a try before you condemn the unknown.  

The  sky is falling?  Again, you show who little you care about or understand the coaches who play the game and use the forums.  Last time the "sky was falling" you were sure BEta was ready to go live and coaches were overreacting for saying otherwise.  Version 3 still is not finished!!!  (we were right!) 

I could care less about the interface, although I see how improving it would make it easier for new coaches.  This reaction has nothing to do with the interface.  I don't think dumbing down div 3 or forcing established coaches out will keep new coaches around and it will definitely force established ones to leave. 
4/25/2014 8:38 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I have been in D3 for 5 seasons. I could have used a couple more to tweak my strategy but with the update coming I am moving up to D2.
4/25/2014 10:44 AM
The interface was never the real problem - the poorly designed game engine is the problem.
4/25/2014 12:08 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 4/24/2014 7:34:00 PM (view original):
To keep an audience, you have to give them a reason to stay. If the game is too complicated to start, and there is minimal learning material, there's no chance to keep the majority of them. It would behoove them (WIS) to improve their help/turorial/support system if they want to be serious about bringing in more long-time paying customers. But I doubt that this will happen. 
I agree 100%...better the support don't dumb down the product...
4/25/2014 1:46 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 4/25/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):
The interface was never the real problem - the poorly designed game engine is the problem.
also agree 100%...
4/25/2014 1:47 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸
Gridiron Dynasty 3.1 - User Interface Upgrade Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.