Trouble beating Humans Topic

In my Yost league I do good but I was 10-3 and got beat by 50 in the playoffs. The team was good but not by that much.
7/7/2014 8:36 PM
At first I thought this was someone hating on people for complaining about loosing to sims.

There are many coaches here far more accomplished than me (just about everyone) but I would guess that it's game planing. The guys who have been around a long time have a better idea of how to get the most from their players. They know the little intricacies that often give them the edge. Also talent is the major factor in this game. Last (and this is just an example) it's possible that while the talent levels were similar your players may of had a lower stamina, forcing your second string to play more snaps against their starters. Things like this are what I often over look when assessing a loss.
7/7/2014 9:11 PM
Thanks
I wondered what defense should I use
I have used 4-3 and nickel
7/7/2014 10:14 PM
I use 3-4 just because it is easier to find good LB's than good DL's
7/9/2014 1:06 AM
Posted by raider45638 on 7/7/2014 10:14:00 PM (view original):
Thanks
I wondered what defense should I use
I have used 4-3 and nickel
This matters not.  You pick what you want to use and recruit for it.  You will see a little bit of everything here and it can all be successful with the right coach and the right players/skills.

I've mentioned before that you also need to decide how you want to play....8 in the box all the time, and blitzing the FS also....or playing loose, with all LBS in coverage and the FS/SS set deep (clearly those are the extremes).  The same players will not likely fit both of those extreme schemes.

Same sort of thing on offense.....pound it on the ground vs going deep to the WRs every play.  Different set of player requirements....and you have to decide first, then recruit for that.
7/9/2014 4:55 PM
Posted by raider45638 on 7/7/2014 8:36:00 PM (view original):
In my Yost league I do good but I was 10-3 and got beat by 50 in the playoffs. The team was good but not by that much.
I'm not trying to be an ***, but by what pretense do you say that the other team was not better by that much?  What I am trying to get at, is that you have been with Otterbein for only 2 seasons, while you have improved the team on one hand it does not necessarily mean you are any where near being a contender especially against established coaches.  It usually takes around 4 seasons (getting all your recruited players on the team) to really make some waves unless you take over an already good team.  First and foremost, it's recruiting....get players with good cores and good WE because with the new version game planning is a draw since it's been revised (<-- putting it nicely).  Schedule easy for the first few seasons so you can get some wins and improve vision for recruiting.  Looking at your schedule for next season, you are going to be hurting unless something turns around...your non conference games you might beat the 2 sims but will almost certainly lose the 3 human games as they are very good teams.  Good luck!!
7/10/2014 8:42 AM
I'm not trying to be an ***, but by what pretense do you say that the other team was not better by that much? What I am trying to get at, is that you have been with Otterbein for only 2 seasons, while you have improved the team on one hand it does not necessarily mean you are any where near being a contender especially against established coaches. It usually takes around 4 seasons (getting all your recruited players on the team) to really make some waves unless you take over an already good team. First and foremost, it's recruiting....get players with good cores and good WE because with the new version game planning is a draw since it's been revised (<-- putting it nicely). Schedule easy for the first few seasons so you can get some wins and improve vision for recruiting. Looking at your schedule for next season, you are going to be hurting unless something turns around...your non conference games you might beat the 2 sims but will almost certainly lose the 3 human games as they are very good teams. Good luck!!

I WASNT TRYING TO SAY MY TEAM WAS THE GREATEST. 50 POINTS IS A LOT TO LOSE BY IN THE FIRST ROUND. I WASNT A BOTTOM SEED. JUST WANTED TO SEE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING I COULD CHANGE TO BEAT HUMANS. SEEMS LIKE THE HIGHER GUYS HAVE A SET FORMULA TO WIN. I TAKE MY LOSSES THIS IS ACTUALLY MY 6 SEASON IM IN A LEAGUE WITH A TEAM THAT I TOOK OVER THAT WAS HORRIBLE IVE HAD TO LEARN THE HARD WAY. MY TEAM IN YOST WAS DECENT WHEN I TOOK OVER IVE HAD 1 TOP 20 RECRUITING CLASS AND 1 TOP 10. IM TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO WIN CONSISTENTLY
7/13/2014 9:21 PM
You played Randolph Macon I believe, and ocms1981 had a really good thing built there before the current coach took over last season.  I will say I wouldnt consider myself one of the better coaches out there, but look at my history at Williams.  It will take a few seasons to get things really going.  Looking at your team I have a few suggestions and ideas, a couple quick ones is I would cut down on the number of O/D formations.  pick two or three of each.  Site mail me if you want to.
7/14/2014 3:58 PM
I'm fairly new to GID, and also in the Yost World. I've made the playoffs three of the last four years, but always a low seed, and always get blasted in the first round. I just figure if that I'm losing by that many points, that I'm still light years away from really competing. Welp, big gulps, as they say.

GL to all.

7/17/2014 8:58 PM
Generally, I think the number of seasons it takes to actually consistently compete against the best teams and make a run for a NC is closer to 7 years than it is 4.  You may be able to start developing average to good players in the first 4 seasons, but the key to beating the best teams is development + recruiting elite talent.  Unless you takeover a team that has already won a bunch in recent seasons, you just wont have the vision or access to recruit the elite talent until year 4 and then you have to develop it from there.  
7/18/2014 1:31 PM
Posted by bce98a on 7/18/2014 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Generally, I think the number of seasons it takes to actually consistently compete against the best teams and make a run for a NC is closer to 7 years than it is 4.  You may be able to start developing average to good players in the first 4 seasons, but the key to beating the best teams is development + recruiting elite talent.  Unless you takeover a team that has already won a bunch in recent seasons, you just wont have the vision or access to recruit the elite talent until year 4 and then you have to develop it from there.  
How do you know what your vision is or if it is improving?
7/18/2014 4:15 PM
I wish vision was not based on record only but record and with end of season ranking. I play in one of the toughs conference in the whole game so I don't get that many conference wins. 
7/18/2014 5:42 PM
Trouble beating Humans Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.