Best Player Evaluation Tool??? Topic

I know there's lots of different things out there...

-Yatzr tool
-New 3.1 position roles rankings
-bhazlewood GUESS rankings
-Excel sheet by IBstrummin (this had GUESS rankings too, but different than bhazlewood)

Just curious what is the best way to evaluate player attributes...

TIA

8/1/2014 9:56 AM
My opinion is using the GUESS ratings within Yatzr's tool.  Yatzr's tool doesn't have any player rating forumulas in and of itself; you would either use GUESS or your own (or both - which is what I do).

IBstrummin's Excel spreadsheet had GUESS ratings in them but they were for the GD 2.0 engine, which will be different than the one we are all playing now.  I stopped using it awhile ago and not sure if he updated it like Bob Hazlewood did.  Thats why they are different.

8/1/2014 2:10 PM
if you are talking about recruit evaluations then i suggest yatzers tool with the guess ratings plugged in.  if you are talking about setting your depth chart after recruiting then i use the 3.1 roles rankings and input the guess ratings into there.  this is helpful to see your whole team at once and even when recruiting can show which positions may be ok to offer freshman and sophomore starts, although i must admit i haven't used the yatzr tool since 3.1 came out i just use the 3.1 role ratings system with the guess number plugged in.
8/1/2014 2:37 PM
Gotta admit I am a bit overwhelmed how to use this information.

I have read the sticky post ..'GD's Guide To The Game' and still don't really understand how to set yazters up ...or how to get Guess ratings (Which only seem available after recruit signings)

I tried to DL Yazters ...even after my computer warned me against it ....I only accessed it through the download page . Didn't have a shortcut or have it listed anywhere else.

I will keep browsing the forums.
8/2/2014 4:08 AM
GUESS formulas can be found here.
8/2/2014 8:32 AM
I would suggest looking at the d3 basic role ratings.  The go pretty much hand and with the new engine. Most notably at OL and DL.  I am going to go out on a limb and claiming(my opinion) that it became too complicated to differentiate between de and dt vs g/c and tak with the intermingling of each. eg. how a ot WOULD MATCH UP WITH A DT.
8/4/2014 1:03 PM
I thought that YATZR's tool already had the ratings in it.  Am I missing something?  Is the purpose of the ratings to evaluate players you are recruiting or players you have recruited?
8/6/2014 2:48 PM
Posted by hogdaddy on 8/6/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
I thought that YATZR's tool already had the ratings in it.  Am I missing something?  Is the purpose of the ratings to evaluate players you are recruiting or players you have recruited?
Both, actually, but yatzr's tool only looks at them while they are recruits. After you sign them, you need a different spreadsheet to keep track of their development if you don't use the default ratings on the depth chart page.
8/7/2014 8:49 AM
Posted by scrodz on 8/7/2014 8:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hogdaddy on 8/6/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Both, actually, but yatzr's tool only looks at them while they are recruits. After you sign them, you need a different spreadsheet to keep track of their development if you don't use the default ratings on the depth chart page.
Wait a minute, if you change the position roles numbers in 3.1, then those ratings should translate to the depth chart pages, right? Hence, another tool isn't needed then. Please tell me I'm not missing something as that was my understanding .....
8/7/2014 6:49 PM
You understand what you know, and you know what you understand.
8/7/2014 7:18 PM
Posted by erjacobs3 on 8/1/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):

-Yatzr tool
-Excel sheet by IBstrummin (this had GUESS rankings too, but different than bhazlewood)

TIA

eyeball method
8/11/2014 3:45 PM
Posted by ddingo on 8/11/2014 3:45:00 PM (view original):

-Yatzr tool

TIA

eyeball method
I, for one,  have never been able to definitively figure out which eyeball corresponds to which attributes.
8/11/2014 5:26 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 8/11/2014 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ddingo on 8/11/2014 3:45:00 PM (view original):

-Yatzr tool

TIA

eyeball method
I, for one,  have never been able to definitively figure out which eyeball corresponds to which attributes.
It's not that complicated, really.

Eyepatch = STL

After that, switch to the facial hair test.
8/11/2014 5:38 PM
Don't confuse the "tool" with the "formulas" that go into the tool.

yatzr provides a tool, ibstummin provided a tool, WIS provides a tool (via the role ratings)

Mr Hazelwood provides formulas, and WIS provides formulas (via the defaults in the role ratings if I recall properly).

You can/should tweak the formulas to suit yourself and plug those into the "tools" that you wish to use.
8/12/2014 9:51 PM
Best Player Evaluation Tool??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.