This is irrelevant being that a condensing of world is more likely than an expansion, but I was wondering if a new world was added who would be the coach it was name after. All of the current coaches are old timers but who would be most deserving of a new world? Saban is probably the most accomplished coach that remains. Maybe paterno but a lot of people are still upset with the Jerry Sandusky deal.

Not really an important question but something that popped into my head.
1/26/2016 9:25 PM
Saban, no way. He doesn't even come close to some other coaches in total wins. I'd say Paterno, Bowden, or Eddie Robinson.
1/26/2016 9:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by ebel331 on 1/26/2016 9:52:00 PM (view original):
the jerry sandusky 'deal'?  yah, people may still be 'upset' about it. 
I agree with people being upset by it but I don't blame paterno. That however is a whole different discussion.
1/26/2016 11:38 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 1/26/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Saban, no way. He doesn't even come close to some other coaches in total wins. I'd say Paterno, Bowden, or Eddie Robinson.
I didn't even think about Robinson. While Saban may be behind all of them in wins he has them on nc's
1/26/2016 11:40 PM
Paterno, and I'm not a Penn State fan. It's the NCAA that's been disgraced.
1/27/2016 12:37 AM
Posted by SNIX on 1/27/2016 6:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 1/26/2016 11:43:00 PM (view original):
I believe Saban is the greatest coach of all time, period. I certainly get the arguments for other coaches, but to act like Saban isn't in the same class as these other names is ludicrous. 
he is 8-8 in bowl games, below .500 in the NFL and .585 winning percentage at Michigan State. A great run the last 7 years but the best of all time LOL!
Oh, good grief. 

Bowl games rarely matter. If you're coaching a bunch of 4 and 5 star athletes with the mentality of winning a championship, try motivating them to play Utah in the Sugar bowl. 

The NFL record is also a completely irrelevant point. He never had a capable QB at Miami and he still finished just below .500. Look at how great Pete Carroll was before he had Russell Wilson. Bill Belichick was fired from Cleveland and then not doing well with New England just before Bledsoe got injured and Brady stepped in. Now, all of the sudden both Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are geniuses. Another coach to add to that list is Ron Rivera. He was almost canned from Carolina before Cam started playing out of his mind. You aren't going to consistently win in the NFL without at least a capable QB. 

The season before Saban took over Michigan State, the Spartans went 0-11. Immediately after Saban left, they fell right back into mediocrity. 

Before he took over Alabama, Mike Shula, Dennis Franchione, and Mike Dubose had successfully turned the Crimson Tide into a complete tire fire. Since Saban has been at Alabama, they've played in 7 BCS/playoff games and he's only been there for 9 seasons. They've won 4 championships during that time as well.

Keep in mind that he's been doing this during an era when it's much, much more difficult to build a dynasty. 20-30 years ago, schools like Penn State, Texas, USC, Oklahoma...etc., had more scholarships than Stanford, Baylor, Auburn. I believe at one time, USC had close to 120 scholarship athletes on their team. Then, you could just simply offer a recruit a scholarship because you don't want him to play for Texas Tech. Now, everyone has 85 scholarships and even the private schools like Baylor or Duke are investing much more heavily into football than ever before. Yet, Saban has managed to double Joe Pa's titles in just nine seasons with the Tide. If that doesn't put him into the top 3 or 4 coaches in history, than that's your own personal bias. 

1/27/2016 8:55 AM (edited)
cj, can we say that Saban is in the top 3 or 4 in history? We have Hayes, Wilkinson, Rockne. We have Paterno, yes he belongs among the great. The Sandusky affair doesn't change what he actually accomplished as a coach. You can throw Eddie Robinson in there. Schembeclar at Michigan was great too. Then there was The Bear. Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer. John Robinson. Darrell Royal. Lou Holtz even. Urban Meyer and Pete Carrol with what he did at USC would be the closest to Saban in the now modern era.  I'm not saying that Saban isn't great. He is. The best of the last 15 years imo. I think its too difficult to call anyone the best of all time. The best of a time period is more possible.
1/27/2016 9:17 AM
Posted by jibe717 on 1/27/2016 9:17:00 AM (view original):
cj, can we say that Saban is in the top 3 or 4 in history? We have Hayes, Wilkinson, Rockne. We have Paterno, yes he belongs among the great. The Sandusky affair doesn't change what he actually accomplished as a coach. You can throw Eddie Robinson in there. Schembeclar at Michigan was great too. Then there was The Bear. Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer. John Robinson. Darrell Royal. Lou Holtz even. Urban Meyer and Pete Carrol with what he did at USC would be the closest to Saban in the now modern era.  I'm not saying that Saban isn't great. He is. The best of the last 15 years imo. I think its too difficult to call anyone the best of all time. The best of a time period is more possible.
Hayes coached in the 50's through the 70's. Bud Wilkinson was in the 40's through the early 60's. Knute Rockne was in the 20's. Completely different eras. 

Bear Bryant coached in the 60's and it took him 17 years to grab six titles. Saban already has 5, one of which wasn't even with Alabama. 

Royal was in the 60's. 

I could keep going. 

The problem with throwing in these coaches from over 20 years ago is that the game is completely different now. Everyone receives the same amount of scholarships now, that wasn't the case then. You used to schools that were either "basketball schools" or "football schools." Now, even Kentucky and Duke are investing into their football programs. 20 years ago, you could retain assistants for much, much longer. Now, even the GA's are ambitious and coaches leave at the first mention of a better job. It's much more difficult to be great now than it was 20-30 years ago. 

I do agree that it is difficult to compare across eras, so, I'm fine with not deeming a coach the best of all time. However, I think there is enough information to put Saban into the top 3 or 4 ever. 

1/27/2016 9:42 AM

Not saying Paterno doesn't "deserve" it, but the potential PR backlash is such that Fox/WIS would never do it.

Eddie Robinson & Bobby Bowden follow Paterno on the all-time wins list (at D1).  

All time wins leader in college football, at all levels, is a guy named John Gagliardi, who won 489 games at Carrol and St Johns.  

1/27/2016 10:37 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 1/27/2016 10:37:00 AM (view original):

Not saying Paterno doesn't "deserve" it, but the potential PR backlash is such that Fox/WIS would never do it.

Eddie Robinson & Bobby Bowden follow Paterno on the all-time wins list (at D1).  

All time wins leader in college football, at all levels, is a guy named John Gagliardi, who won 489 games at Carrol and St Johns.  

WIS is not going to start a new world anytime soon. But if they did I would vote for Robinson and Gagliardi to have a world. Both had longevity and loyalty to their schools and both were super succesfull  at it and ran super clean programs. Both could have went elsewhere for more money but stayed put.
1/27/2016 12:13 PM
I believe Saban is the greatest coach of all time, period. I certainly get the arguments for other coaches, but to act like Saban isn't in the same class as these other names is ludicrous. 
he is 8-8 in bowl games, below .500 in the NFL and .585 winning percentage at Michigan State. A great run the last 7 years but the best of all time LOL!
I'm no fan of Saban, but I'm willing to look at facts for what they are.  Some things to consider.  

Woody Hayes had a losing record in bowl games. John Heisman had a losing record at Rice.  They were still great coaches. The discussion is about college coaches since the game is about college football. His record in the NFL is irrelevant.   .585 is still a winning record.  Nick Saban has won 5 NC's total at two different colleges in the 85 scholarship era.  I'm not going to argue for him being the best, but he is clearly one of the best.
1/27/2016 3:29 PM (edited)
How the hell does the NFL record matter at all? 

He's second in history in Championships, but first in undisputed championships. He's coaching in the toughest era of college football and dominating not just the game but recruiting as well. As CJ said, winning percentage hardly tells the whole story. 

Sounds like you have sour grapes, which is fine. You do you.

EDIT: Gators beat me to it, much more eloquently I might add.
1/27/2016 4:12 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.