Players Who Have Turned Green Topic

So after a few cycles, I have a few players who have turned green. What's my next move? Do I sit back and wait until signings takes place to see what happens and go from there?

Thanks,
8/12/2016 6:11 PM
Usually when a player is green it means they are just looking at you now but there is always a risk that somebody might make a move for them and they go back to yellow and now you have a battle on your hands
8/12/2016 6:19 PM
I usually wait until the evening before signing day, then I send out the scholarship offers. Usually, at worst case somebody might challenge you overnight and turn them yellow. That rarely happens in D3 or D2. If it does, don't panic (yet). Since you have the offer out there, the players' responses will tell you if he is still leaning your way. You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer.
8/12/2016 8:57 PM
And to be clear once a player is green there is absolutely no reason to keep spending money on them. If the recruit is changed yellow/red by another coach then you need to decide if you wish to spend more.
8/14/2016 4:09 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 8/12/2016 8:57:00 PM (view original):
I usually wait until the evening before signing day, then I send out the scholarship offers. Usually, at worst case somebody might challenge you overnight and turn them yellow. That rarely happens in D3 or D2. If it does, don't panic (yet). Since you have the offer out there, the players' responses will tell you if he is still leaning your way. You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer.
I disagree with "You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer". I have lost several recruits over the past couple of seasons after the "I'm leaning your way" type message. Even though I kept spending money on recruiting them to close the deal.
8/14/2016 10:02 PM
Posted by gators06 on 8/14/2016 10:02:00 PM (view original):
I disagree with "You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer". I have lost several recruits over the past couple of seasons after the "I'm leaning your way" type message. Even though I kept spending money on recruiting them to close the deal.
you may have missed the message from the player letting you know you have fallen behind, because they definitely will let you know when the situation changes. for example, right now i have a recruit that has sent me 7 messages letting me know when i have taken the lead/fallen behind versus the other school. they only send you updates when it changes.
8/14/2016 11:28 PM

That is fascinating. Never seen that happen before. I have had opponents turn them in one cycle before, which means I get the scholarship response saying they are leaning the other way and I then (in the same cycle) get the email they signed with the opponent. Sure that didn't happen?

8/14/2016 11:28 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/14/2016 11:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gators06 on 8/14/2016 10:02:00 PM (view original):
you may have missed the message from the player letting you know you have fallen behind, because they definitely will let you know when the situation changes. for example, right now i have a recruit that has sent me 7 messages letting me know when i have taken the lead/fallen behind versus the other school. they only send you updates when it changes.
That is not what I said. After the scholarship was offered and signings begin you get a note from the player. Just because he says he's leaning your way doesn't mean he is going to sign with you. The update you receive at a later date is irrelevant to the initial comment from the player on the scholarship offer.
8/15/2016 11:31 AM
"Since you have the offer out there, the players' responses will tell you if he is still leaning your way. You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer."

Gators, you slightly misinterpreted what I meant. When you offer CV's, make phone calls, etc., the messages you get back from the player are total garbage. You can't believe anything the player says from those. But when you send out a scholarship offer to a yellow player, the message you get back from the player whether or not he is leaning your way is the truth AT THAT POINT IN TIME. True, another owner can offer the player more CV's, playing time, etc. and shift him toward the other owner. But as ebel said, you will get a message from the player if/when that happens.
8/15/2016 11:40 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 8/15/2016 11:40:00 AM (view original):
"Since you have the offer out there, the players' responses will tell you if he is still leaning your way. You can believe what the player says after you send him a scholarship offer."

Gators, you slightly misinterpreted what I meant. When you offer CV's, make phone calls, etc., the messages you get back from the player are total garbage. You can't believe anything the player says from those. But when you send out a scholarship offer to a yellow player, the message you get back from the player whether or not he is leaning your way is the truth AT THAT POINT IN TIME. True, another owner can offer the player more CV's, playing time, etc. and shift him toward the other owner. But as ebel said, you will get a message from the player if/when that happens.
Well put.
8/15/2016 12:21 PM
Some guys will go green w/o a campus visit. I've found you need to extend that visit invite before they sign. Better have the cash available.
8/15/2016 1:22 PM

Some guys will go green w/o a campus visit. I've found you need to extend that visit invite before they sign. Better have the cash available.

Love these recruiting discussions. From my experience, if I have a recruit green and offer a scholarship...they always sign on the next cycle. Are you saying sometimes they will not sign even though they are green and you offer a scholarship?

8/15/2016 1:55 PM
Posted by nitros on 8/15/2016 1:55:00 PM (view original):

Love these recruiting discussions. From my experience, if I have a recruit green and offer a scholarship...they always sign on the next cycle. Are you saying sometimes they will not sign even though they are green and you offer a scholarship?

A recruit needs a face-to-face before they will sign - a home or coaching visit, or a head coach scouting trip. So you can sometimes woo them to a green status with little effort, but they can also stubbornly refuse to sign if you haven't 'seen' them in person.
8/15/2016 2:28 PM
Posted by nitros on 8/15/2016 1:55:00 PM (view original):

Just because they're green - doesn't mean they're nautious. Oh, sorry, that's another discussion.
They Will Sign If -
They are green. You have offered a scholarship. You have included in the recruiting process a Face to Face Visit(Assist or headcoach scout visit, Home Visit, Or Campus Visit) and if no one else interrupts your recruiting him causing him to pay attention to another team.
8/15/2016 3:11 PM
So what does one do when a player has been given an assistant coach visit, a head coach visit, and a campus visit and that player remains green? Is there anything else to do for them to sign? I ask because I have several players fitting that description that have been green for several cycles. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything since signings end in a few days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
8/15/2016 3:30 PM
12 Next ▸
Players Who Have Turned Green Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.