New D2 non-conference tournament: The Bidwell Bash Topic

I'd like to start a major non-conference tournament in Allen if there is enough interest.  For those of you who are in D2 Iba, you know that there are 3 major non-conference tournaments in Iba that help make D2 Iba a lot of fun, the Yarnell Invitational (run by hackerhog), the Derby City Classic and the Yam Jam (both run by greenhawks).  I'm hoping we can get something similar going here.

I plan to follow hackerhog's formula for the Yarnell Invitational, which uses alblack's dynasty rankings to set the field.  While alblack is not in the Allen world, and therefore doesn't post his dynasty rankings here, he is sending me his formula for those rankings so I can keep the list here to use for the tournament (in the interest of time I will probably keep up with only the top 25 and not go quite as deep as alblack does with his dynasty lists).  The field will consist of the top 5 teams in those dynasty rankings, plus host school CSU, Chico.  In cases where 2 teams from the same conference are in the top 5 of the dynasy rankings, the next highest ranked team that is not in a conference as one of the top 5 teams will get an invitation (you can't play a conference mate in non-conference play, so we can only have 1 team per conference).  We are about to play season 65 in Allen, so at the end of the season we will set the field for season 67 using the season 65 ending dynasty rankings and the games will be scheduled during recruiting in season 66 to be played in season 67..

The name of the tournament is The Bidwell Bash, named after General John Bidwell, the founder of Chico, CA, and Chico State University (also known as CSU, Chico).  The tournament will be a round robin, with all teams playing the other 5 teams in the field in games 5-9.  If you are going to be in the field or are close to the top 5 in the dynasty rankings do not schedule other games in those slots if you want to play in the tournament.  The winner will be the team with the best record over the 5 games, and in cases of ties we will go to the tiebreaker.  The tie-breaker rules are included below.

I hope everyone is interested in doing this.  Please post here if you would have interest in playing.  I will have the dynasty rankings for the end of season 64 up soon.

Tie-breaker rules (I've deleted out parts that don't :
1. If 2 teams are tied, the head-to-head winner of their game will be the champion.
2. If 3 teams are tied, then:
     A. If one of the 3 teams beat the other 2, that team will be the champion.
     B. If one of the 3 teams lost to the other 2, that team will be eliminated and the head-to-head winner of the remaining 2 teams will be the winner.
     C. If the 3 teams were all 1-1 against each other, then the team with the highest total margin of victory will be the winner
3. If 4 teams are tied, then:
     A. If one of those 4 teams beat the other 3, that team will be the champion (not likely to play out this way, but it could).
     B. If 2 or 3 teams have a better record in games involving the other tied teams, those teams will go to step 1 or step 2 and the remaining teams will be eliminated.
7/19/2013 9:21 AM
Darn! Wish this would have come out earlier. I accepted challenges for games 5 and 9 with my Livingstone team.  Otherwise I'd love to be involved in this. If there is any workaround for this, let me know. Love the idea though!
7/19/2013 10:47 AM
To give everyone an idea what the field would look like had we gotten this in place for season 66, the top 10 in the dynasty rankings would have been:

1. Findlay
2. California, San Diego (same conference as host CSU, Chico)
3. American International
4. U. of DC
5. California, Davis (same conference as host CSU, Chico)
6. Wayne St. (MI) (same conference as Findlay)
7. CSU, Bakersfield (same conference as host CSU, Chico)
8. W. Virginia Wesleyan
9. Ouachita Baptist
10. Northwood

So invites would have gone out to the following schools to join CSU, Chico in The Bidwell Bash:

1. Findlay
2. American International
3. U. of DC
4. W. Virginia Wesleyan
5. Ouachita Baptist
7/19/2013 10:48 AM
Sounds great - we'll try to get Tuskegee qualified for this in the next few seasons.
7/19/2013 11:00 AM
Sounds like a whole lot of fun. If I ever qualify, I'll play. 
7/19/2013 12:27 PM
I'm in
7/19/2013 12:32 PM
sounds good
7/19/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 7/19/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Sounds like a whole lot of fun. If I ever qualify, I'll play. 
+1
7/19/2013 9:33 PM
Just a reminder I plan to move ahead with this new tournament after this season.  I hope everyone is interested in participating!
8/15/2013 10:00 AM
New D2 non-conference tournament: The Bidwell Bash Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.