Perhaps the dumbest thing that's been a part of this game since the beginning is the rewarding at the end of the season of a $1 credit to teams that finish in third place in their division, and a credit of $4 to teams that finish in fourth (last) place in their division.

Not only do last place teams tend to be "rewarded" with better draft picks in the next seasons draft, but they are also financially rewarded by WIS for a last place finish.  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  This actually provides disincentive for teams to try to get out of the basement in the final days of the season.  Why try to win those last three games of the season to move from 4th place up to 3rd when it's going to cost you $3 in credits?

I propose that these third and fourth place credits be eliminated, and be replaced with a $2 credit for teams that finish at .500 or better but do not make the playoffs.  Let the somewhat successful teams get the benefit of financial reward from WIS.  This should also provide some incentive for those teams who are near .500 in the closing days of the season to try to avoid a losing record.
8/7/2010 10:13 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/7/2010 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Perhaps the dumbest thing that's been a part of this game since the beginning is the rewarding at the end of the season of a $1 credit to teams that finish in third place in their division, and a credit of $4 to teams that finish in fourth (last) place in their division.

Not only do last place teams tend to be "rewarded" with better draft picks in the next seasons draft, but they are also financially rewarded by WIS for a last place finish.  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  This actually provides disincentive for teams to try to get out of the basement in the final days of the season.  Why try to win those last three games of the season to move from 4th place up to 3rd when it's going to cost you $3 in credits?

I propose that these third and fourth place credits be eliminated, and be replaced with a $2 credit for teams that finish at .500 or better but do not make the playoffs.  Let the somewhat successful teams get the benefit of financial reward from WIS.  This should also provide some incentive for those teams who are near .500 in the closing days of the season to try to avoid a losing record.
+1
8/7/2010 11:32 PM
Absolutely agree. I don't understand the logic of the current system at all.
8/8/2010 1:45 AM
I like the general idea, but I imagine WhatIf would prefer knowing exactly how much was going to be given out in credits each season, instead of playing a lottery of sorts with trying to predict the number of .500 teams not in the playoffs. If nothing else, the current system makes the accounting easier.

That said, they have access to enough seasons of data that should be able to predict what they'd have to give out pretty damn well, and this would be a much better way of giving out credits than giving the 4th place team anything.
8/8/2010 6:38 PM
Right now, 8 divisions at $5 credits ($1 for 3rd, $4 for 4th) each = $40.  I'm not sure what the average number of .500+ non-playoff teams is, but it's a heck of a lot less than 20.  WIS would actually be giving out less in credits under this proposal than they are currently.
8/8/2010 8:08 PM
I don't feel strongly one way or the other. I'll point out though that an owner who decides to tank, is doing so to gain draft position. An owner in 3rd place who decides not to tank, and sacrifices better draft position, is unlikely to be waivered by the temptation of $3. Draft position > $3. I'm assuming their idea was to reward people for taking over terrible franchises and rebuilding them.
8/10/2010 1:58 PM
You'll be surprised why a person tanks, as you can witness when you hear "just started season, available team -- FREE" and 1000 people lineup for that spot. 4 bucks for 3rd is the dumbest thing ever.
8/11/2010 3:49 AM
Players shouldn't get any credit at all if they miss the playoffs. You should not be rewarded for failure. This is not outcome-based. The only credit that I like that is not success based is the tenure credit (the money for staying in a league for X amount of seasons). Take the money that was going to the losers and give that to the WS winner.
8/11/2010 10:17 AM
Bump, because it's such a fantastic idea.
10/12/2010 9:10 AM
I agree.  Stupid to reward 4th place team
10/12/2010 9:41 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/12/2010 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Bump again, because it's still a terrific idea.
9/13/2011 8:44 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/13/2011 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/12/2010 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Bump again, because it's still a terrific idea.
Bump again, because it is still an outstandingly well thought-out suggestion.
4/16/2012 3:21 PM
Absolutely. And while we're at it, charge any owner with fewer than 54 wins $29.95 to buy a new team... and other teams with 100 losses $26.95.

And I don't like giving playoff teams a credit, either... Winning is its own reward. I'd rather channel all credits to those scr*wed middle-class teams. 
4/16/2012 5:05 PM
That's because you rarely make the playoffs.
4/17/2012 2:43 PM
2nd place really is a loser with HBD
4/17/2012 2:59 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.