Player's announcing retirements Topic

In prof sports, you occasionally get players (esp big time ones) announcing, "This will be my last season."

I think it would be nice/more realistic if, occasionally (but certainly not most players) a player who is getting toward the end of his career, and is going into the last year of his contract, would send you a message telling you he was going to hang it up after the upcoming season. Not really a big thing, but it would be kind of cool to give one of your favorite players a farewell tour.
12/1/2011 12:01 PM
I like this one. Not sure I'd like it to come before a current season ended, but it'd be nice to see some occasional fanfare in the cycles between rollover and the end of budget setting. Even if it was a team-by-team list (similar to the draft report) of notable retirements.

Actually, I'd like to see a list showing the number of retirements per team (like the DL report) so we could make fun of owners who let two dozen guys retire.
12/1/2011 1:02 PM
Posted by travisg on 12/1/2011 1:02:00 PM (view original):
I like this one. Not sure I'd like it to come before a current season ended, but it'd be nice to see some occasional fanfare in the cycles between rollover and the end of budget setting. Even if it was a team-by-team list (similar to the draft report) of notable retirements.

Actually, I'd like to see a list showing the number of retirements per team (like the DL report) so we could make fun of owners who let two dozen guys retire.
+1

I would suggest that the retirement announcements should come after the regular season has concluded and as the playoffs are about to start.  At least for me, that's when I start getting into the detailed planning for next season and get a rough idea of what my roster might look like.
12/1/2011 1:31 PM
Different spin on this topic, but if they are going to implement end of season announcements, I think it would be a good idea if MinL players sent messages like, "promote me or I'm going to hang them up".

If lack of promotion is a reason MinL players retire, it would not be much new logic to get a message at the end of the season before they quit.

It would be a quick way to remind owners to invest 30 seconds promoting some players.  Would save them a lot of time filling MinL rosters next season. And it would help solve the problem of there not being enough MinL players in some worlds.

If you didn't want the player at the level the demand to be at, you could release them right away.  Maybe being an FA could reduce the odds they would retire. Also providing more MinL players to the world.
12/1/2011 2:44 PM
Don't we already get a reminder to promote players or they'll retire? (I honestly don't remember, because I never read those messages.) Regardless, it would be too much of a pain to get that many messages to read/ignore.

If they really wanted to make it easier to keep minor league players from retiring, they should get a block next to their names (like Rule 5 guys) after the regular season concludes. If they REALLY wanted to make things easier, they could waive roster restrictions per level so you didn't have to worry about activating/deactivating players after the season is over. As it is, I already promote or release most of the players I think might retire, and I rarely have more than five or six retire per season. I like to think that helps someone.
12/1/2011 3:38 PM
This seems to have potential to be a problem.  It happened to me this season in one of my worlds with a minor league "roster filler" type player, but it it was a true prospect, I would have been ******.

Minor leaguer suffers a major injury and goes on the 60-day DL that will carry him through the rest of the season and into rollover.  After the season is over, I cannot promote him to the next level because he's on the DL.  Rollover happens.  He retires because he wasn't promoted.

Something should be put in place that will either (a) allow you to promote a guy on the DL; or (b) not allow players to retire if they went into rollover on the DL.

10/18/2012 9:02 AM
Player's announcing retirements Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.