Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

how about we follow suit? i have taken a vote in Cal Ripken and most people want to trade draft picks. We tried to do it ourselves by keeping records of draft picks but the more we discussed it the more we thought it would be much better if WIS implemented it in the system.
6/4/2013 7:29 PM
Nothing will **** up HBD more than allowing the trading of draft picks.
6/4/2013 9:17 PM
not that complicated. all major sports do it.
6/4/2013 10:54 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by nordique93 on 6/4/2013 10:54:00 PM (view original):
not that complicated. all major sports do it.
No, it's not that complicated at all.

But, evidently, you don't understand the change in ownership in HBD that you don't see in major sports. 
6/5/2013 8:29 AM
The way HBD is structured, a new owner would have to be an idiot to take over a team which has traded away picks.

6/5/2013 8:49 AM
Are you saying it would not be fun to pick a 63 win team that doesn't have a pick until #138 despite having the 2nd worst record in the world?
6/5/2013 11:36 AM
"I have 0/0 HS/COL and spend all my money on INTs!  Who wants my picks?!?!?"

No.  
6/5/2013 12:20 PM
MLB doesn't trade draft picks even though they should be allowed to but in HBD it wouldn't work to much turnover. Who would spend 24.95 to not have a first round pick. Also in MLB late round picks actually make it to BL not the case for HBD.
6/5/2013 2:40 PM
Posted by srsjsn on 6/5/2013 2:40:00 PM (view original):
MLB doesn't trade draft picks even though they should be allowed to but in HBD it wouldn't work to much turnover. Who would spend 24.95 to not have a first round pick. Also in MLB late round picks actually make it to BL not the case for HBD.
MLB DOES trade draft picks, they just started this year. as far as trading all your picks, WIS can let you trade SOME picks but not ALL. they do it already when u try to spend too much money on free agents in multi-year deals.i trust WIS can make the proper adjustments and by discussing the details between all of us we can also make it better. i really dont care for general comments; like ohhhhh this aint gonna work. the secret is in the details and balance.
6/5/2013 11:10 PM
Posted by nordique93 on 6/5/2013 11:10:00 PM (view original):
MLB DOES trade draft picks, they just started this year. as far as trading all your picks, WIS can let you trade SOME picks but not ALL. they do it already when u try to spend too much money on free agents in multi-year deals.i trust WIS can make the proper adjustments and by discussing the details between all of us we can also make it better. i really dont care for general comments; like ohhhhh this aint gonna work. the secret is in the details and balance.
1.  MLB trading of draft picks is restricted.   It may be difficult to program such into the game
2.  WIS does not have trading of draft picks.   Compensatory picks are awarded based upon qualifications of free agents signed.  But, these are NOT trades.
3.  It is a bad idea IMO.   It creates problems with trying to fill open coaches during rollover.   Imagine a coach trading many draft picks knowing it is his last season.  Big can of worms
4.  I recall a world that doing this blew up because it hurt the league as a whole

6/5/2013 11:22 PM
nordique93 - I think it's great when people put suggestions here, so I'm not trying to trash you.  But I think you are misinformed about that MLB has allowed.  And not thinking through how this would play out in HBD.

Did you read the post I put up yesterday? MLB is allowing only a certain type of draft pick to be traded. And that's a type that does not existing in HBD. And can never exist unless HBD has teams with different budgets.  I think we all agree that's not likely.

Everything in MLB can't be in HBD for one reason. In MLB, it's real money.  You mess up, it costs you.  There's no real money in HBD.

In MLB, if you buy a team for $500M, then trade away draft picks and sign aging FAs to big long term contracts, you might get a 1-3 season WS run. And then you have to live with the next 5-10 season, or sell the team.  Selling would cost you $100M-$200M in real money.  In HBD, you just don't renew the team.  Leaving the rest of the GMs to get someone to pay the same amount of real money they can pay to get any other open HBD team.

With the current HBD rules, there's already a problem with people grabbing teams, playing for a short-term win, and then dropping the team. Letting those people trade future draft picks would make that worse.  Do you agree?
6/5/2013 11:24 PM
Posted by nordique93 on 6/5/2013 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Google " Competitive Balance Lottery" this is the only way MLB teams can trade picks and its very restrictive. I wish there was a way to trade picks but with the way worlds turnover with owners it would make it even harder to fill worlds. Just my opinion.
6/6/2013 10:13 AM
The problem with implementing something like this in HBD is that you would get some jackass owners in some worlds who would go hog-wild in accumulating draft picks to build their future super-team, and other jackass owners who would happily enable that for their own short-term and near-sighted reasons. 

Competitive balance in worlds that contain jackasses such as these would become even more skewed in the long run than they probably already are today, especially because you can get much more value per $ spent in the draft than you can in IFA.

This would be very, very, very bad for HBD as a whole.
6/6/2013 10:46 AM
Trading current season supplemental round picks would be ok.
6/6/2013 10:53 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Trading Draft Picks. MLB is finally doing it. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.