Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Can't wait for that Milwaukee/Detroit World Series. That'll play well in the Midwest.
1/12/2011 12:07 PM
just spent some time getting a f'n bird out of the house.  Daughter was chasing it around with a lightsaber, pretty sad that was the most enjoyable part of the day thus far.
1/12/2011 12:13 PM
How'd the bird get in?

I wish someone was here to bump my bird in the house post from years ago.
1/12/2011 12:21 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:01:00 PM (view original):
Power and contact definitely mean something. Our agreement more or less was that as long as you're strong in something, you have some value. I'd take either type of player, but a movement of listening to your sage advice has let some of these guys come to me cheaper.
Yeah, definitely right on there.  Everything has value too, as long as it has an appropriate pairing.  If you are really strong in 2 ratings, you are useful and 3 you are probably a starter.

I have definitely had to reshuffle some of my team building since I started running my mouth but going against the grain is what makes the game fun.
1/12/2011 12:23 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 12:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 1/12/2011 11:38:00 AM (view original):
how'd you like my trade with VD? dumping off a 4.4 mil 3 yrs remaining contract during the playoffs.
Heh.
I wondered if he realized that when he accepted the deal. There are a lot of bad contracts that are passed along late in the season because people don't pay attention beyond the proration.
That was more of an overall "heh" at moy apparently being particularly proud of the deal - especially since I remember him talking about how pleased he was with the signing of Ford at the beginning of the year.
It's like I won twice... once signing him and once when I got rid of him.
1/12/2011 12:27 PM
i forgot about this litter box.
1/12/2011 12:35 PM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Power and contact definitely mean something. Our agreement more or less was that as long as you're strong in something, you have some value. I'd take either type of player, but a movement of listening to your sage advice has let some of these guys come to me cheaper.
Yeah, definitely right on there.  Everything has value too, as long as it has an appropriate pairing.  If you are really strong in 2 ratings, you are useful and 3 you are probably a starter.

I have definitely had to reshuffle some of my team building since I started running my mouth but going against the grain is what makes the game fun.
It's all cyclical. I think once more than half the league notices a trend and starts going after certain types of players, it starts to leave other opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be another uptick in the international market, unless it's already started. Then in a few seasons people will be severely overpaying more IFA's, and then there will be another shift...

Between contact, power, vL, vR, and eye, I try to get someone that is strong in at least three of those categories. My thing has been more or less getting lineup flexibility. Having the ability to move guys around for matchup purposes. I can bump up the stolen base aggressiveness against a ****** catcher. I can go for a power-heavy team against a flyball pitcher. I can go for contact against a team that can't field. It keeps people healthy, helps everyone be productive, and it gives me a reason to pay attention to certain teams.
1/12/2011 12:43 PM
I should probably start making an effort to acquire talent in DM.
1/12/2011 12:46 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:23:00 PM (view original):

It's all cyclical. I think once more than half the league notices a trend and starts going after certain types of players, it starts to leave other opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be another uptick in the international market, unless it's already started. Then in a few seasons people will be severely overpaying more IFA's, and then there will be another shift...

Between contact, power, vL, vR, and eye, I try to get someone that is strong in at least three of those categories. My thing has been more or less getting lineup flexibility. Having the ability to move guys around for matchup purposes. I can bump up the stolen base aggressiveness against a ****** catcher. I can go for a power-heavy team against a flyball pitcher. I can go for contact against a team that can't field. It keeps people healthy, helps everyone be productive, and it gives me a reason to pay attention to certain teams.
I haven't had as much lineup flexibility in recent season because I have either been going cheap and acquiring talent or old and expensive.  It is really useful when you get in that middle stage though,

I will probably bail on internationals after next season in $.  I only got back in last season and got two absolute stud pitchers between the two season.  Added to trades and draft, I have more pitching talent in my minor league system than probably anyone else.  If I can milk one more season out of getting some prime talent, Detroit will be in really good shape for a while.  The fact that I am competing while doing that is both shocking and a bonus.
1/12/2011 12:49 PM
Yeah, those pitchers you signed were ridiculous. Meanwhile other teams are spending a lot more on inferior pitchers. Either they jumped on the IFA too soon or bid against themselves. Who knows.

I see the value in the market, but the few leagues I have some budget in that regard are too oversaturated with buyers.
1/12/2011 12:51 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:46:00 PM (view original):
My team is in a strong place in that world and should be that way for a couple of seasons.  You need to catch up.

On another note, I have really enjoyed my rapid build of a real beast in Minor Leagues.

1/12/2011 12:52 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, those pitchers you signed were ridiculous. Meanwhile other teams are spending a lot more on inferior pitchers. Either they jumped on the IFA too soon or bid against themselves. Who knows.

I see the value in the market, but the few leagues I have some budget in that regard are too oversaturated with buyers.
Yeah, I really lucked out there.  Not sure what happened but I didn't expect to pull that off.  Right time to jump back in...  I have rarely played the market and ate money a number of times across worlds.  If it was going to work, I am glad it was in $.
1/12/2011 12:54 PM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:52:00 PM (view original):
My team is in a strong place in that world and should be that way for a couple of seasons.  You need to catch up.

On another note, I have really enjoyed my rapid build of a real beast in Minor Leagues.

I have a couple of good young pieces. The IFA market has sucked and I never had the ML talent to get the compensatory picks to add a lot of young talent that way. Basically, it's been difficult to get the younger players I wanted.

I could probably will that team to a wild card if I actually cared, but I know they don't have the pieces for sustained success just yet, so I'm better off just waiting and acquiring more.
1/12/2011 12:56 PM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:51:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, I really lucked out there.  Not sure what happened but I didn't expect to pull that off.  Right time to jump back in...  I have rarely played the market and ate money a number of times across worlds.  If it was going to work, I am glad it was in $.
I give BP a hard time for not fully committing to the international market. He only has a budget around $10m for IFA scouting each year, so his projections are always wacky and he's spending money without really knowing just how good the player really is. He really seems to be valuing pitch ratings more than most others. Doesn't seem to be working out for him recently.
1/12/2011 12:58 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:52:00 PM (view original):

I have a couple of good young pieces. The IFA market has sucked and I never had the ML talent to get the compensatory picks to add a lot of young talent that way. Basically, it's been difficult to get the younger players I wanted.

I could probably will that team to a wild card if I actually cared, but I know they don't have the pieces for sustained success just yet, so I'm better off just waiting and acquiring more.
Yeah...  I tried the IFA market in the world, but it really was awful.  I ate 20 mil two season in a row I think.  In my experience thus far, world's with hard salary caps are no fun to play for IFAs in.
1/12/2011 1:03 PM
â—‚ Prev 1...1331|1332|1333|1334|1335...1822 Next â–¸
Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.