Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Obama just pandered to teh gheys to get their votes.

TEH GHEYS WERE MOKED!!!!!

2/11/2015 7:57 PM
  Would somebody please explain to me the problem?  I'm a conservative.  I don't give a crap what you do in your bedroom.  If it's 2 guys or 2 girls I could care less. If you want to sign a contract to live together for life….fine by me.  And if you sign that contract, then guess what? YOU have to be under the same law as me.  When there's a divorce or child custody to be determined…I'm gonna laugh my *** off.  The lawyers are gonna have a field day.  You can have the same tax and law applied to you as a traditional marriage.  Don't care.  But if you hijack the word marriage…then you get all that comes with it.  You don't get off the hook because you're gay.  You don't get it both ways this time.  

I can't speak for everybody and I assure you there are religious types out there, whom I support, who not only think it is a sin, they think it should be illegal.  And again, they are in the minority.  And I understand them and I understand the gay community.  And I don't see a problem but people want to make a problem out of it because that's how they make their living.  If we could just get away from that minority ***** it would be a better place.

My problem is the dictionary.  Words have meaning.  When you start mixing it up, things get fuzzy.  Soon you'll start calling a TAX a FEE and then a CONTRIBUTION.  Words have meaning.  That's why we have a dictionary.  And that's my point.  If you want to do something that is new or different from a dictionary definition then simply come up with a new word.  DON'T LIE!  You screw everybody else up.  Stop being selfish.  Work together.  When you start to manipulate or misuse the common language as it is defined in an agreed text, it can only lead to confusion and abuse.  Some entity will take advantage and abuse it.  Trust flies out the window.  Forget about what anybody says to you because that verbal exchange means nothing because words no longer have meaning.  

So I would prefer the word marriage apply to the union of a woman to a man.  But that's ok.  If the shortsighted and selfish should wish to hijack it in an effort to show there is no difference then we defer…to a point.  At that point we will do the job and simply come up with a new word that exclusively applies to a man and a woman.  

The debate will pass as long as that abusive minority within the minority and their political overlords and lawyers can be disarmed with words.  Until then the meaningless and costly debate will continue while the nation bleeds and the marker of definition is moved around the Ouija board of confritation for it's own sake to occupy the minds and time of those who can never be satisfied.
2/11/2015 9:36 PM (edited)
Because words never shift in meaning. Ever.
2/11/2015 9:45 PM
Oh good.  It's you.  Thanks for dropping by.  Lets see……………..

Your point is the meaning of words DO change.  I agree.  They have.  Mostly slang.  Not so much Webster.

It would be an interesting study to see how much has changed in the last 2 centuries here.  I'm sure it's been done and can easily be found.

I wonder, off the top of your head, your short list of those words.
2/11/2015 10:15 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/11/2015 9:42:00 AM (view original):
True, if you're younger than 6.

Otherwise, Bush II was worse. And a bunch of presidents throughout history have been worse. Obama really hasn't been bad. Overall, I'd rank him in the middle.
I don't think I'd outright claim Bush II is worse; I don't think either was realistically very exceptional.  In fact, I think very few presidents have been meaningfully exceptional.  Maybe in another 15 years it will be obvious that either Bush or Obama was "worse," but as of right now I don't think there's a glaringly obvious answer to that question, given the difference in circumstances between their times in office.  Both did some good things, and both did some things that could have been good but were poorly executed, and obviously both did some things that appear in "near hindsight" to have been misguided.

I would say the last truly "bad" president was probably Carter.  Reagan and Clinton both look good, but both largely circumstantially - the Soviet Union was going to crumble regardless of who was president, and the economy in the immediate aftermath was going to be booming regardless of who was president, and that makes both of them look good.  The last person that I would unequivocally say was a "good" president, beyond the sort of standard range, is probably FDR.  He did some things I may not have agreed with, but he was able to execute radical and revolutionary programs and very likely significantly shorten the length and magnitude of the Great Depression.  A lot of people know I'm actually a "small government" kind of guy, but I still give that administration credit for having remarkable imagination and ingenuity that was well-timed to handle the realities with which it was confronted.  I put it more on subsequent Congresses and administrations for letting the entitlements get so bloated.
2/11/2015 10:27 PM
Posted by DougOut on 2/11/2015 10:15:00 PM (view original):

Your point is the meaning of words DO change.  I agree.  They have.  Mostly slang.  Not so much Webster.

It would be an interesting study to see how much has changed in the last 2 centuries here.  I'm sure it's been done and can easily be found.

Awful
Husband
Cute
Fantastic
Inmate
Egregious
Divest

Should I keep going?
2/11/2015 11:21 PM
I love your argument Doug. You have no problem with gays being married except, oh ****, totally forgot it's against the rules for a word to expand in meaning. Sorry.
2/11/2015 11:24 PM
2/12/2015 4:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/11/2015 11:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by DougOut on 2/11/2015 10:15:00 PM (view original):

Awful
Husband
Cute
Fantastic
Inmate
Egregious
Divest

Should I keep going?
No.  Explain the 7 you have listed.

2/12/2015 9:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/11/2015 11:24:00 PM (view original):
I love your argument Doug. You have no problem with gays being married except, oh ****, totally forgot it's against the rules for a word to expand in meaning. Sorry.
I love how you didn't quote me before you made your remark.

Now, I may not have a lot of love for you but I sit here and try to think you are not a totally stupid man. 

Please help me think you are not a totally stupid man.  I'm gonna help you out.  I'll take you back to first grade.  

Since you didn't quote it, I'll recap.  Words have meaning.  Marriage is a word.  It's between a man and a woman.  Anything else needs a new word.

Now we're back in first grade.  Apples and oranges.  Are you still with me?  Keeping up?  Apples and oranges?  Got it?

Now we are going to do pairs.  Not pears…..pairs.  Got it?  

An apple meets an orange and they get together.  They are different and together.

An apple meets an apple and they get together.  They are the same and together.

An orange meets an orange and they get together.  They are the same and get together.

Only one of them is mixed fruit.  Only the apple and the orange.  Not the 2 apples or the 2 oranges.  They are all different.

In some ways they are the same because they are all fruit.  Only one of them is mixed.  The others are the same.

Just as you can't call two apples mixed fruit…you can't call 2 men married.  Only a man and a woman can do that.

All the apples and oranges can hook up with their own kind, but they'll never be mixed.

You can chop up all the apples you want but you can never call them mixed fruit.  They are only apples. 

That's why marriage is only between a man and a woman.  They are different.  Two of the same are not different.  

Not marriage.  Not mixed fruit.  Apples and oranges.  Pairs not pears.  First grade.  Words have meaning.

Your answer will determine if we can pass you into the second grade.

2/12/2015 9:38 PM
Lol. The word marriage includes gay couples too.
2/12/2015 11:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You have no grasp of history.
2/12/2015 11:25 PM
I doubt you could even name all the presidents.
2/12/2015 11:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...315|316|317|318|319...462 Next ▸
Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.