THANK YE, PRESIDENT OBAMA ON 9/11!!!!! Topic

Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/13/2012 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/13/2012 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/13/2012 3:32:00 PM (view original):
It is imperative for the left to spread the mantra of hate whether it really exists or not.

If they can lump a 5-7 level of dislike into level 10 full fledged HATRED, it makes their base much less likely to look at the actual facts being discussed.

It doesn't matter what you are saying because you are a hateful racist so I put no value in your opinion.

Well, according to Mike there's a subtle difference between dislike and hate.

And it seems the common argument from the right in here is "nothing can be discussed because it's always about race".
"Subtle difference between a strong dislike and hate" is what he said.

Like the subtle difference between a 9 and a 10.

He also gave a very easy to understand example.

You and tec are really into semantics.
I think it is more a case of actually trying conveying a thought.

Accuracy in defining words goes a long way towards that end. If your definition of hatred is applied to my life experiences then I can agree that many "hated" Obama early on.

Now MOST people wouldn't understand your personal & very broad sweeping definition of "hatred", and may be confused. So in order to avoid confusion some people try to stick with more commonly accepted definitions.

Additionally when a person twists the "real" definition of a word into their own twisted idea of what they want it to mean, then there will be posts trying to clarify. You call it semantics.

What would say the "more commonly accepted" word for "strong dislike with anger in their voice" would be? 
9/13/2012 4:53 PM
Posted by nickbracco on 9/12/2012 6:43:00 PM (view original):
This.
9/13/2012 4:53 PM
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 4:49:00 PM (view original):
No, I was claiming that people have a hatred of Obama.  I've heard anger in their voices when they talk about him.  Tec claimed that he just disliked him as a president because he thought he was a pretty nice guy (or something like that).  I can't "hear" anger on the internet, so I have to assume that he is being honest.

So why do you think that hate automatically means racist?
Your claim was many people "hated" him even before he took office.

There wasn't much to "hate" about him before he took office, so I would assume race would have to be a factor for people who "hated" him before he took office.

Again that was BEFORE you defined hatred as anywhere between 5-10 on the dislike scale. To which I replied, yes using that broad definition I also knew people that "hated" him.

If we can include those with mid level dislike into the "hate" category then race is absolutely a non-issue. I just do not have the clairvoyant ability to understand your definition before you clarified it.

9/13/2012 4:58 PM
Show me where I defined hatred as "anywhere between 5-10 on the dislike scale"?
9/13/2012 5:01 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/13/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 9/13/2012 10:52:00 AM (view original):
jvford: "A lot of people have a general hatred of Obama"

tec: "I don't hate him, I just dislike him and his policies.  A lot.  There's a difference."

jvford: "Sounds like hate to me.  I'm just going to say you hate him."

tec: "No, that's not what I said, nor what I meant".

jvford "Oh, OK.  (Wink, wink)"
You're absolutely right.  Since hate means "to dislike intensely", I clearly overexaggerated the nuance of your feelings.  On a dislike scale of 1-10, I charged you with a 10 when you most likely fluctuate between a 5 and 7, depending on the specific policy or content of his speech.

I stand corrected.
There's a level of emotion, of passion, in "hate".

There is not, in dislike.

You're welcome.
Thanks for clarifying "intensely" for me.  You must be the go to guy for this stuff in your office.
You did say "I stand corrected". But then proceeded to respond sarcastically to his further clarification, and seemed to be intent on calling it semantics. So I am not really sure if you truly stood corrected or were just being sarcastic.
9/13/2012 5:11 PM
I think I pretty clearly stated that I felt "hate" was a "10" on the dislike scale.
9/13/2012 5:16 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 9/13/2012 5:10:00 PM (view original):
If supporting and not apologizing for free speech is akin to "stirring up more anti-American sentiment".

Jesus Christ is mocked on a daily basis here in America, but Christians don't storm the TV studios that promote that sentiment, because we value our right to free speech, even when we disagree with the offensive nature of it.

9/13/2012 5:19 PM
Posted by jvford on 9/13/2012 5:16:00 PM (view original):
I think I pretty clearly stated that I felt "hate" was a "10" on the dislike scale.
But also seemed to be saying "it's just semantics". So I wasn't sure how sincere that statement was.
9/13/2012 5:31 PM
Where did I say "it's just semantics" in that post?
9/13/2012 5:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
THANK YE, PRESIDENT OBAMA ON 9/11!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.