THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies.

That's straight from a dictionary.

Atheists DO HAVE a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe - they believe no deity was responsible for it. That's still a set of beliefs. It's not somehow exempt simply because their belief is not in a specific deity or deities. That makes atheism a religion.

As I said before, the atheist agenda only works if they are somehow exempt from the rules which govern other religions. That's why they are in denial and don't want to be considered a religion. They want to be considered special and above the law by claiming they are "technically" not a religion, which is BS. They share a belief system about the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. That's a religion.
12/14/2012 8:35 AM
But atheism is simply a non-belief in god. Being an atheist doesn't imply anything about your thoughts on the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe.

Here is the google definition of religion:

re·li·gion  

/ri'lij?n/

Noun
  1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
  2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Atheism is not a religion.
12/14/2012 11:19 AM
But atheism is simply a non-belief in god. Being an atheist doesn't imply anything about your thoughts on the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe.

A "non-belief in god", in fact, DOES say something about your thoughts on the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe - specifically, that you do not believe god was involved in any of it.

Logically, let's break it down:

Any idea about the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe can be considered a religious idea based upon the definition of religion straight from the dictionary.

The idea that god didn't have anything to do with the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe is therefore a religious idea.

Since it is a belief of atheism, that makes atheism a religion.

Again, this is simple logic, not some complex formula twisted to make it seem like atheism is a religion. The facts say it is a religion, no matter how much atheists deny it because that fits their agenda.

The point of what I've been saying in this thread is that atheism shouldn't be treated - in the eyes of the government - as anything other than another religion.
12/14/2012 12:24 PM
Any idea about the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe can be considered a religious idea based upon the definition of religion straight from the dictionary.

I believe there is life on other planets. That is an idea about the nature of the universe. Is that a religious idea?

Your logic is flawed. You are twisting one small portion of the definition of religion to try to make atheism fit. It doesn't. What other characteristics of atheism make it like a religion? Is there belief in a god? Is there a holy book? Is there a church? Are there rituals and traditions? Is there prayer? A sense of community? A moral code? 
12/14/2012 12:34 PM
Who are these Atheists you speak of.

I dont know any, other than a few Atheist Celebs, who would deny that we are a religion.
12/14/2012 12:34 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/14/2012 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Who are these Atheists you speak of.

I dont know any, other than a few Atheist Celebs, who would deny that we are a religion.
Here you go:

Swamp is a dumb ****

12/14/2012 12:38 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/14/2012 12:34:00 PM (view original):

I believe there is life on other planets. That is an idea about the nature of the universe. Is that a religious idea?

Your logic is flawed. You are twisting one small portion of the definition of religion to try to make atheism fit. It doesn't. What other characteristics of atheism make it like a religion? Is there belief in a god? Is there a holy book? Is there a church? Are there rituals and traditions? Is there prayer? A sense of community? A moral code? 

By that definition, physics can loosely be defined as a religion too.

Should we start lobbying that physics should no longer be taught in public schools?

12/14/2012 12:42 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/14/2012 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/14/2012 12:34:00 PM (view original):

By that definition, physics can loosely be defined as a religion too.

Should we start lobbying that physics should no longer be taught in public schools?

Seriously.

I'm going to go ahead and declare victory in this debate over Bistiza. His logic is poor and he is too dumb to see the flaws in his argument or understand the sophistication of my argument.

12/14/2012 12:46 PM
I'm just too smart for him.
12/14/2012 12:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/14/2012 11:19:00 AM (view original):

Here is the google definition of religion:

re·li·gion  

/ri'lij?n/

Noun
  1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
  2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Atheism is not a religion.
This is YOUR dictionary definition, so I assume you accept it.  Swamp has already told us he and his atheist buddies get together and have atheist meetings.  That would constitute at least a semi-organized discussion centered on a specific belief system.  Thus, atheists fit definition #2 of YOUR acceptable dictionary meaning.

I kinda hate that I'm agreeing with both swampy AND bistiza and virtually nobody else on this one, and I don't necessarily agree with bistiza's original point that the Federal government in any way supports atheism by banning religious symbols and displays from public property, but I absolutely believe atheism should be classified as a religion.  Frankly, my basic instinct is that anyone who disagrees with that statement most likely has a superiority complex about his own religion.  Atheists are people, too.

Would you consider agnosticism a religion?  If your basic belief is that it's too hard to determine whether or not there is a god, but you accept the possibility?  Why or why not?

12/14/2012 1:13 PM
What do atheists talk about in their atheist meetings?  Is it like a support group?

"My name is swamp, and I'm an atheist/"

"HI, SWAMP!!!"
12/14/2012 1:24 PM

According to the definition of religion, yes.

You are twisting one small portion of the definition of religion to try to make atheism fit. It doesn't.

I showed you step by step how it is a logical thought process and is not twisting anything, and you still went there.  This is pointless until you understand how logic works, and I can't help you any more than that.
What other characteristics of atheism make it like a religion?

The very idea that there isn't a god is religious in nature. If you discuss it with someone, you're discussing the possibility of a religious entity, regardless of whether you think it is not possible at all or you think it's a guarantee or anywhere in between.  Atheism doesn't exist without the idea there is no god, which is a religion based idea.
Is there belief in a god? Is there a holy book? Is there a church? Are there rituals and traditions? Is there prayer? A sense of community? A moral code?

None of these are required for a religion. You probably think of a religion as having these things because they are familiar icons of religion to you, but none of them are required.

A religion can be any belief you have about the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe. That's a broad definition, but nothing else is required.
By that definition, physics can loosely be defined as a religion too. Should we start lobbying that physics should no longer be taught in public schools?
Sure. After all, we've seen all sorts of decisions like that throughout the history of U.S. education.

For example, first evolution wasn't taught in schools, now creation isn't allowed to be taught in public schools.

Here's an idea. Teach the students all major theories equally and let them decide for themselves based on the information.  Physics, evolution, creation, and everything else. What a novel concept - teaching students to think for themselves. That last line was sarcasm, by the way.
I'm going to go ahead and declare victory in this debate over Bistiza. His logic is poor and he is too dumb to see the flaws in his argument or understand the sophistication of my argument.
Too bad I've made a logical point you can't seem to grasp, let alone defeat.

12/14/2012 1:26 PM
IS PROCRASTINATION A RELIGION?

WE HAVE A CLUB, BUT NEVER GET AROUND TO HOLDING MEETINGS...............
12/14/2012 1:27 PM
This is YOUR dictionary definition, so I assume you accept it.  Swamp has already told us he and his atheist buddies get together and have atheist meetings.  That would constitute at least a semi-organized discussion centered on a specific belief system.  Thus, atheists fit definition #2 of YOUR acceptable dictionary meaning.

Maybe swamp really does get together and have atheist meetings (I think he's lying). I guess you could say that that makes that small group a religion if they want to be. But atheism in general is not a religion. It really doesn't fit in the practical sense of what a religion is, regardless of the semantic twisting.

Would you consider agnosticism a religion?

No. I would go as far as saying that belief in god alone does not make you a member of a religion. Membership of a religion requires a conscious effort to take part in that religion - the rituals, traditions, the moral code, etc, etc. You can't be religious by default.

12/14/2012 1:29 PM
What do atheists talk about in their atheist meetings?  Is it like a support group?

My guess is they discuss how they can mess with other people by attacking religious displays or other religious oriented things on government property. That seems to be their only purpose in forming their atheist organizations, because unlike some other religions, they don't go into the community as a group and try to help people. They only seek to cause problems with their pathetic complaints about land use and religious symbols and ideas.
12/14/2012 1:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...36|37|38|39|40...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.