THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

OK. I guess no one really knows how involved atheists are in atheist groups.
3/25/2013 5:14 PM
I would think members of said groups would know.    You know, if you show up to a meeting and a thousand of them are there, you know that 1000 athiests were gathered and you'd have a decent idea of what went on.

But you and I don't know.   Sadly, I know just a tiny bit more about athiest organizations simply because I knew they existed before this morning.
3/25/2013 5:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 5:18:00 PM (view original):
I would think members of said groups would know.    You know, if you show up to a meeting and a thousand of them are there, you know that 1000 athiests were gathered and you'd have a decent idea of what went on.

But you and I don't know.   Sadly, I know just a tiny bit more about athiest organizations simply because I knew they existed before this morning.
That's true.
3/25/2013 5:25 PM
We have a small meeting of Michigan Atheists every month. I hope our meeting doesnt offend anyone.

The idea that the flaw in the system is Atheists filing suits is crazy. The system should be able to stand up to such things.

Again it wasnt an Atheist that took prayer out of school and the Manger out of the town square. It was Christian Judges. And it was supported by Christian legislatures and Chrtistian Mayors, Governors and Presidents.

3/26/2013 2:06 AM
Do you strip down, gather around a fire and dance naked?

Or just tell everyone what recent act proves there is no god?
3/26/2013 8:21 AM
Public land is public money.

No, it isn't.

Public land is free for anyone to use, and as long as everyone has equal access to it, there should be no problems. When someone with no life has nothing better to do than to cause problems over something on public land, though, then we have these issues that should never exist in the first place.

All groups should have equal access to put up displays in public land (provided they are within other rules that don't limit which groups can do it). So if you want to go put up an atheist statue, go right ahead. 

Oh, wait, that's right - THAT is why atheists don't want equal access to putting religious symbols on public land, because they have NO SYMBOLS of their own to put up. So instead, they want everyone to abide by what suits them, which is NO religious symbols whatsoever.

They're a bunch of nutjobs who need to get a life. Period.

3/26/2013 8:44 AM
I agree that an empty piece of public land hould be available for short term rent to put up a display. I don't care about that.

When I say public land, I'm more concerned with religious displays in courthouses, federal buildings, etc.
3/26/2013 9:33 AM
Personally, I don't care either way.    I think people protesting a Baby Jesus in front of a courthouse are close relatives to the people protesting abortion clinics.  They're both nutjobs.

I assume biz believes the Baby Jesus protest assemblies are for crazy, busybodies with nothing better to do.   Does he feel the same about the abortion clinic people?
3/26/2013 9:44 AM
When I say public land, I'm more concerned with religious displays in courthouses, federal buildings, etc.

As long as no one else is prohibited from posting religious displays because of their religion, I don't see a  problem with it. Everyone has the same rights.

As for those displays already in place, there is no reason to remove them unless you're an atheist with the agenda of making everything completely non-religious so it fits with your views.
I assume biz believes the Baby Jesus protest assemblies are for crazy, busybodies with nothing better to do.   Does he feel the same about the abortion clinic people?

I think all those people are crazy, yes. Get a life and find something better to do than to stage a protest over the choices of others (either to put up religious symbols or to have an abortion or whatever).

I will say that at least the pro-life stance makes valid points. The only thing resembling a valid point made by the atheists with agendas is the idea we should all have the same access to public lands and properties. I agree with that, but think it should be in the form of allowing people to put up displays rather than banning them all, because the latter does NOT provide equal access (in fact it bans all religions and supports the secular agenda the atheists want, which favors them over everyone else).
3/26/2013 12:47 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/26/2013 12:47:00 PM (view original):

As long as no one else is prohibited from posting religious displays because of their religion, I don't see a  problem with it. Everyone has the same rights.

As for those displays already in place, there is no reason to remove them unless you're an atheist with the agenda of making everything completely non-religious so it fits with your views.

I think all those people are crazy, yes. Get a life and find something better to do than to stage a protest over the choices of others (either to put up religious symbols or to have an abortion or whatever).

I will say that at least the pro-life stance makes valid points. The only thing resembling a valid point made by the atheists with agendas is the idea we should all have the same access to public lands and properties. I agree with that, but think it should be in the form of allowing people to put up displays rather than banning them all, because the latter does NOT provide equal access (in fact it bans all religions and supports the secular agenda the atheists want, which favors them over everyone else).

But everyone doesn't have the same rights. Putting the ten commandments up in a courthouse is an endorsement of a specific religion.

3/26/2013 1:06 PM
But everyone doesn't have the same rights. Putting the ten commandments up in a courthouse is an endorsement of a specific religion.

This is the problem - you don't get that putting up the ten commandments is just putting up the ten commandments. It's NOT an endorsement of anything, much less a religion (never mind those commandments are a part of  the history of more than one religion, so it would be impossible for them to be shown to endorse a specific religion in the first place).

I'm all for it. I say put verse from the Bible and Koran alongside Hindu, Buddhist, and taoist scriptures and ancient annunaki cave drawings. Throw a stature of Buddha or Vishnu up next to one of Jesus or Mohammed, Zeus, or even Gilgamesh.  As long as the only limits are imposed on non-religious aspects of the materials and everyone is treated the same, there should be no problem.

To be fair, let the atheists display their artifacts too. Oh, wait, they don't have any. 

My opinion: Well, too ****ing bad, stop crying about it and trying to make everyone else take their ball and go home because you decided not to bring one for yourself.

3/26/2013 1:56 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 3/26/2013 12:47:00 PM (view original):

I get your point but is it really an "endorsement"?

That said, if a courthouse posted some great saying from Allah, I imagine there would be some wadded panties.   Most would say "WTF is that?" and walk on but, as you know, the "fringe" would demand it be torn down.
3/26/2013 2:31 PM
Notice I'm being fair to all religions, even the atheists, by saying I'm in favor of everyone having equal right to put up religious symbols and the like.

The atheists, on the other hand, only want their own agenda forwarded. Everyone must be secular like them, or at least as much as they can force on everyone else through legal actions that show how much they need to get a life.

3/26/2013 2:47 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
No it's not. It's the Tuesday before Easter, which is an arbitrary day selected based on (of all things) the cycle of the moon. It was established as the first Sunday following the first full moon following the vernal equinox, so it comes as early as mid-March (if the full moon happens to hit right close to the vernal equinox) or as late as mid-April (if the full moon doesn't occur until then). So it jumps around a lot from year to year.

It was set up this way by the council of Nicea to coincide with the Jewish passover, as the passover took place leading up to Jesus' death, so they set it up to mimic that event. The funny thing is that this didn't take place until AD 325, several hundred years after Jesus' time on earth, although it is supposed early Christians celebrated Easter during passover anyway.

3/26/2013 3:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...61|62|63|64|65...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.