THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Yes, people take part in many things that can be with or without religious significance. You mentioned celebration of holidays yourself, and I mentioned posting of the ten commandments.

Any person could post the ten commandments because they value their cultural or historic significance.

3/29/2013 1:52 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Yes, people take part in many things that can be with or without religious significance. You mentioned celebration of holidays yourself, and I mentioned posting of the ten commandments.

Any person could post the ten commandments because they value their cultural or historic significance.

See if you can follow:

Many people celebrate christmas in a non-religious way. They buy a tree, hang lights, and exchange presents.

Tell me how a non-religious person would celebrate the ten commandments.
3/29/2013 2:04 PM
You don't "celebrate" the ten commandments - they aren't a holiday.

But you might post them somewhere because you think they are culturally and/or historically significant.

3/29/2013 2:17 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):

See if you can follow:

Many people celebrate christmas in a non-religious way. They buy a tree, hang lights, and exchange presents.

Tell me how a non-religious person would celebrate the ten commandments.
So how should the 10 Commandments be treated differently than the Magna Carta or the Mayflower Compact? Could they all be on display, or would we need to ban the 10 Commandments?
3/29/2013 11:21 PM
Todays Boston Globe crossword puzzle...

Clue...33 across "War on Christmas" warrior.

Answer...Oreilly...

Guess that makes it real!
3/31/2013 3:13 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 2:17:00 PM (view original):
You don't "celebrate" the ten commandments - they aren't a holiday.

But you might post them somewhere because you think they are culturally and/or historically significant.

What non religious cultural significance do they have?
3/31/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 3/29/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
You might find them posted in many people's houses, perhaps for reasons not associated with religion.

Either way, whether you do or not is irrelevant to their cultural significance.
Do you really believe that a non-religious person would post the ten commandments?

Name one reason a non-religious person would do that.
Bucket list or contest.

I think I've got 7.   Me and 9 of my friends are competing.  I'm winning by 2.
3/31/2013 6:39 PM

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.

1, 2, 9.  But we might need a judge's ruling on 1 and 2.
3/31/2013 7:40 PM
Quite honestly, I don't even understand #2.   Is it about whittling?
3/31/2013 7:41 PM
Ah, ****.   I haven't murdered anyone either.   ****, I'm at 6.   I don't think I'm winning the contest.
3/31/2013 7:42 PM
They have had a tremendous impact on the shaping of modern laws. This is why you see them posted on places of the law, such as courthouses. That's one way; I'm sure there are others, including the large impact of on the people within society.

4/1/2013 8:46 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/1/2013 8:46:00 AM (view original):
They have had a tremendous impact on the shaping of modern laws. This is why you see them posted on places of the law, such as courthouses. That's one way; I'm sure there are others, including the large impact of on the people within society.

But they didn't. Two of those are illegal.
4/1/2013 9:44 AM
I'm not actually sure what you're saying, but just to let you know - you can't argue posting the ten commandments should be illegal because it is illegal.
4/1/2013 10:01 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/1/2013 10:01:00 AM (view original):
I'm not actually sure what you're saying, but just to let you know - you can't argue posting the ten commandments should be illegal because it is illegal.
Only two of the Ten Commandments are laws.
4/1/2013 10:12 AM
The ten commandments as a whole have shaped our modern laws, regardless of which of them are actually laws at the present time.

How you are seemingly unaware of this fact is astonishing given your insistence upon arguing over the ten commandments being posted - you should be at least broadly aware they have impacted laws throughout history.

The only question now is this: Are you simply so foolish as to not have done even basic research about a matter where you intend to have a debate, or are you intentionally trying to remain ignorant because you realize your argument doesn't hold water when you acknowledge the point at hand?

I'd say it's the second one as you have pulled this stunt a number of times now.

4/1/2013 10:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...67|68|69|70|71...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.