Today's the day.... Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2012 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2012 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Maybe we should put all polling places far from people's homes? Or make everyone go to ONE polling place and wait in a really long line? Or install a maze they have to run through before getting their ballots? Or shoot them with BB guns while they vote? I mean, we can't possible make it easy for someone to vote. God forbid we have a simple and easy process to get ballots turned in.
My designated polling place is far from my house due to a quirk in the geography of my town.  It's also in the opposite direction from where I work.  There is another polling place much closer (and much more convenient), but I cannot vote there.

Shockingly, I still managed to endure a 25-30 minute "detour" from my normal route to work this morning to cast my ballot.  Without complaint!  What a tool I am.
Um ok.

You got a sticker right? Because you definitely deserve a sticker to show how much more you care about your country than the lazies that took advantage of the perfectly reasonable rule allowing anyone to vote by mail.
I did get a sticker.  Here it is:

I love America.
Fake sticker
11/6/2012 2:52 PM
First, while there may be problems with mail-in and other absentee votes (such as concerns it isn't actually the person listed who is voting), mail in voting is in many ways superior to going to polls. In fact, some states vote ENTIRELY by mail (Oregon is one of them), and those states consistently show more voter turnout than states which require people to go to polls.

Second, we should be encouraging people to vote, regardless of mail in or showing up at the polls.

Third, I'm not sure why anyone cares how anyone else votes. There seems to be this overwhelming desire by some people to tell others how to live their lives, in everything from how to spend or use money to how to vote. It's America, it's a "free country" - let people make their own decisions. As long as they aren't breaking the law, you shouldn't care how they live their lives unless you are somehow otherwise negatively affected, and even that can be debatable dependent upon the circumstances.

11/6/2012 2:57 PM
Voting by mail is much more susceptible to potential voter fraud than is in-person voting with valid photo ID.

People should care about that.
11/6/2012 3:00 PM

Yeah, I think it's better if we know the person voting is actually the person voting. 

11/6/2012 3:01 PM
Except the left considers that "suppression of voting rights" because, you know, everything is a ******* conspiracy to the left.
11/6/2012 3:06 PM
Well, I'm not sure why they seem ambivalent to my suggestion that pollsters go to every house and record votes.    Seems like that would get every vote counted.
11/6/2012 3:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2012 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Well, I'm not sure why they seem ambivalent to my suggestion that pollsters go to every house and record votes.    Seems like that would get every vote counted.
That would be a huge inconvenience to those who would have to get up off the couch to answer the door.  They might miss Chumlee make a stupid decision on Pawn Stars.

The pollster should just guess how everybody would vote.  That would be easiest.
11/6/2012 3:22 PM
Our last municipal election was vote by mail and it was a clown show.

Vote by mail. Dumb idea.
11/6/2012 3:34 PM
Honestly, if you cannot spend 20 minutes voting, I don't know what to say. Voting is one of the main things that separates a democracy from a dictatorship.

You can think what you want about it's only one vote, and they all crooks, blah blah blah. STFU. Seriously. 20 minutes, every 4 years, or possibly 5 where I'm from. Get off your stupid *** and do it.
11/6/2012 3:37 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/6/2012 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, if you cannot spend 20 minutes voting, I don't know what to say. Voting is one of the main things that separates a democracy from a dictatorship.

You can think what you want about it's only one vote, and they all crooks, blah blah blah. STFU. Seriously. 20 minutes, every 4 years, or possibly 5 where I'm from. Get off your stupid *** and do it.
Seriously though, what about people in certain circumstances who CANNOT do that?  Handicapped, elderly?  I brought this up earlier, and I do think there should be exceptions to having to "Get off your stupid a$$ and do it"
11/6/2012 3:39 PM
This may not be transferrable to you, but "hey, candidate X, I need a ride" "Ok".

Anywhere I live, any local candidate or their staff will give a ride to those that need it.
11/6/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/6/2012 3:42:00 PM (view original):
This may not be transferrable to you, but "hey, candidate X, I need a ride" "Ok".

Anywhere I live, any local candidate or their staff will give a ride to those that need it.
I totally get that, I am just pointing out that we should be OK to let folks in those circumstances vote that way.  Not trying to argue, just going from my personal experience.  I know (and work with) many people who benefit from mail in ballot.
11/6/2012 3:43 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/6/2012 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Voting by mail is much more susceptible to potential voter fraud than is in-person voting with valid photo ID.

People should care about that.
It's not much any more susceptible in California.

I'd argue it's harder, since you have to actually steal the ballot from a mailbox or home. To commit fraud in person, you just need a name and address.
11/6/2012 4:01 PM
Unless CA has someone guarding mailboxes, I could steal a hundred of them in a matter of minutes.
11/6/2012 4:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2012 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Unless CA has someone guarding mailboxes, I could steal a hundred of them in a matter of minutes.
Could you? Wouldn't you have to know who is getting an absentee ballot and when? Mine came a week before my wife's. You'd have to stock an entire neighborhood's mailboxes for months just to get a handful of ballots. That's a Breitbart-esque conspiracy theory. How does that tinfoil hat fit?
11/6/2012 4:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...12 Next ▸
Today's the day.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.