Today's the day.... Topic

Would one only steal ballots?  Couldn't I just take all the mail and sort it later?    Are you implying that CA staggers the mailing of absentee ballots over the course of several months?
11/6/2012 4:28 PM
I'm sure Oregon must have widespread voter fraud, right?

I googled and found this from the Christian Science Monitor:

Oregonians passed a referendum in 1998 to institute the vote-by-mail system – with almost 70 percent approval.

Secretary Brown rejects the criticism that mail-in ballots diminish the sense of civic engagement people may feel standing in line with their fellow citizens on Election Day. She says Oregonians have block parties and talk to their neighbors; issues are discussed in churches and synagogues.

“Civic engagement is much more meaningful and expansive when you have a ballot in hand for 2-1/2 weeks,” Brown says. “Election Day is not just one day – it’s several.”

Another criticism of mail-in ballots is that there is more opportunity for voter fraud. Since 2000, 15 million ballots have been cast by mail in Oregon, but there have been only nine convictions of voter fraud, Brown says. The state takes extensive measures to ensure that ballots are secure: each envelope has a unique barcode, election officials verify every signature, and there are cameras in every election office to monitor the counting. People can also check online to make sure their ballot was counted.

11/6/2012 4:32 PM
Discussing politics in church?    WTF?
11/6/2012 4:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2012 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Would one only steal ballots?  Couldn't I just take all the mail and sort it later?    Are you implying that CA staggers the mailing of absentee ballots over the course of several months?
You'd steal ALL the mail? For how many houses and for how long? Absentee ballots don't all come on the same day (if ever, since a lot of people vote in person). And to what end? So you can cast 17 ballots instead of 1?

This is funny.
11/6/2012 4:39 PM
I sure as **** won't stand there and sort it.  You know that's a federal crime, right?

Are you saying one person voting for 17 people is OK?

Have you no respect for the voting process at all?
11/6/2012 4:40 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying you fuckingmoron.

No one is going to go through all of that trouble and face prison time to commit a crime that doesn't benefit them at all. You'd be better off robbing a bank and donating the money to a super PAC. Or keeping the money for yourself like a sane person.

11/6/2012 4:48 PM
You have no idea what sort of trouble people will go thru for what you deem nothing.   Prison is full of people that make you go "WTF??!??!?"

So, how many, exactly, fraudulent votes are a problem for you?
11/6/2012 4:52 PM
So you're implying that widespread absentee ballot fraud is happening?
11/6/2012 4:56 PM
Don't know.   But I'm asking you a simple question(that you're avoiding).

I'll repeat it just in case you missed it.

How many fraudulent votes would it take for you to become concerned?
11/6/2012 4:58 PM
Cost and benefit. How many fraudulent votes do we have evidence of? Should we spend a shitload of time, money, and effort to combat a problem that doesn't exist?
11/6/2012 5:00 PM
Don't know.

How many confirmed fraudulent votes would it take for you to become concerned?
11/6/2012 5:02 PM
Posted by winner77 on 11/6/2012 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 11/6/2012 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, if you cannot spend 20 minutes voting, I don't know what to say. Voting is one of the main things that separates a democracy from a dictatorship.

You can think what you want about it's only one vote, and they all crooks, blah blah blah. STFU. Seriously. 20 minutes, every 4 years, or possibly 5 where I'm from. Get off your stupid *** and do it.
Seriously though, what about people in certain circumstances who CANNOT do that?  Handicapped, elderly?  I brought this up earlier, and I do think there should be exceptions to having to "Get off your stupid a$$ and do it"
I've already said that absentee voting is a good solution for those who have a hardship or logistical impediment that prevents them from getting to their polling place in person.

The problem is with the people who have no valid reason to not go to the polls in person other than it's inconvenient.

A civic responsibility should not be considered an inconvenience.  It should be considered a privilege.
11/6/2012 5:10 PM
The answer, of course, is 1.

Except with vote by mail, it's the unconfirmed fraudulent votes that are the problem. "This one doesn't smell like Fred. Throw it out!"
11/6/2012 5:10 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/6/2012 5:10:00 PM (view original):
The answer, of course, is 1.

Except with vote by mail, it's the unconfirmed fraudulent votes that are the problem. "This one doesn't smell like Fred. Throw it out!"
So how much time and effort is appropriate to attempt to stop one case of voter fraud?
11/6/2012 5:14 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 11/6/2012 4:32:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure Oregon must have widespread voter fraud, right?

I googled and found this from the Christian Science Monitor:

Oregonians passed a referendum in 1998 to institute the vote-by-mail system – with almost 70 percent approval.

Secretary Brown rejects the criticism that mail-in ballots diminish the sense of civic engagement people may feel standing in line with their fellow citizens on Election Day. She says Oregonians have block parties and talk to their neighbors; issues are discussed in churches and synagogues.

“Civic engagement is much more meaningful and expansive when you have a ballot in hand for 2-1/2 weeks,” Brown says. “Election Day is not just one day – it’s several.”

Another criticism of mail-in ballots is that there is more opportunity for voter fraud. Since 2000, 15 million ballots have been cast by mail in Oregon, but there have been only nine convictions of voter fraud, Brown says. The state takes extensive measures to ensure that ballots are secure: each envelope has a unique barcode, election officials verify every signature, and there are cameras in every election office to monitor the counting. People can also check online to make sure their ballot was counted.

So nine people have been caught and convicted?  How many people committed voter fraud via mail-in voting but were not caught?

Are people in other areas of the country prohibited from gathering and discussing the election in groups if they don't have a ballot in their hand?

And in which scenario do you think it's easier to commit and get away with voter fraud: via absentee ballot, or in person with valid photo ID? 
11/6/2012 5:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...12 Next ▸
Today's the day.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.