Media Bias Poll Topic

What comment best describes your opinion of media bias in America. Media counts as Newspapers, Local, national and Cable TV news, Magazines and Internet sites. It also can include TV Talk shows that deal mostly with politics, even if they are comedy shows.

Votes: 32
(Last vote received: 12/8/2012 11:40 AM)
11/24/2012 3:15 PM
Bumping for more responses.

People who believe that Dollars and cents rules are ahead by a decent margin.
11/26/2012 2:42 PM

Why is the bias of the media an issue?

11/26/2012 2:46 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 11/26/2012 2:46:00 PM (view original):

I'll take the bait, having been close to the news business for years (my father was a newspaper reporter his entire career).

It is an issue not in and of itself - as we all have a bias that affects the way we see and account for things.  In the manner swamp is talking about, it's the intentional bias that slants coverage that is an issue.  As an example, my father attended many "agenda meetings" that dictated the manner in which all stories were to be covered if possible.  Stories that could further an agenda of the newspaper were favored and encouraged.  Perspectives that helped people come to the same conclusion as the editorial board were also encouraged.  Headlines were written to draw specific emotion.

Knowing that organizations have an agenda, and also with demographic data of the political persuasion of the media makes it almost impossible to get honest coverage that isn't slanted to a particular agenda.  I believe, through observation mostly, that those who would claim there is no bias in the media, or who would say it doesn't matter, probably share a very similar agenda.

Journalism, the way it used to be practiced (mostly), is dead...
11/26/2012 3:06 PM

Ann Coulter said so.
11/26/2012 3:16 PM

It's a huge issue. People decide to watch one biased news channel that tells them what they want to hear. Then they go on WIS forums and declare that Romney has all but wrapped up the election because the news channel they watch told them so. And that all the other news sources are biased and the polls are biased and that it's a huge conspiracy to get Obama re-elected.

Then they look like fuckin' retardos when it turns out their "fair and balanced" news source was blowing smoke up their ***.
11/26/2012 5:03 PM
The bias probably isn't as intentional as you think.    TV personalities and the like tend to lean liberal.  The artsy folks.   So, given the freedom to report "in their own words" is going to lead to some bias.   FOX probably had to look hard to find some conservatives.
11/26/2012 5:04 PM
Umm, I know there is a bias, but why does it matter?
11/27/2012 12:16 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 11/27/2012 12:16:00 PM (view original):

It matters because people, to a varying degree, use the media as one source for their decision making - but I'm pretty sure you knew that already...

11/27/2012 12:30 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 11/27/2012 12:16:00 PM (view original):
It shouldn't. But a huge percentage of the population lacks the ability to think critically. So they watch Fox News all day and vote Republican.
11/27/2012 12:33 PM
Or listen to a silver-tongued politician and buy his bullshit hook, line and sinker.    Without a media source pointing out that he's spouting bullshit, they have no way to know better.
11/27/2012 12:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/27/2012 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Or listen to a silver-tongued politician and buy his bullshit hook, line and sinker.    Without a media source pointing out that he's spouting bullshit, they have no way to know better.
True. Paul Ryan has made an entire career out of the media's inability to add.
11/27/2012 1:09 PM
Honestly, both sides of the aisle are abysmal, We as a society are deteriorating with every week that passes.  I mean, look around at the nonsense that goes on.  The media bias isn't what's wrong with anything, it is the people of the country that suck.  I read all these name calling threads from the right and the left that just spout nonsense on why the right is a bunch of ******** or why the left is a bunch of ********.  NEWSFLASH - we are all ********, lets work on stop being ******** first and then work out a way to restore America, cause whether it's Bush's fault or Obama's fault is irrelevent, America isn't at the standard it should be and that is an issue.  And if the Media being Liberal or Conservative is to blame for the general suckitude of the american people, then **** the media. 
11/27/2012 3:21 PM
OK...Lets be real.

I can admit sometimes Fox News and Conservative talk can jump on Obama more than is fair based on the incident.

Can the left admit anything?

The race card is played too much?
Conservatives are portrayed as extreme more than liberals are?
Palin got screwed...even a little?

Anyone...Amnything?
11/27/2012 4:06 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 11/27/2012 3:21:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, both sides of the aisle are abysmal, We as a society are deteriorating with every week that passes.  I mean, look around at the nonsense that goes on.  The media bias isn't what's wrong with anything, it is the people of the country that suck.  I read all these name calling threads from the right and the left that just spout nonsense on why the right is a bunch of ******** or why the left is a bunch of ********.  NEWSFLASH - we are all ********, lets work on stop being ******** first and then work out a way to restore America, cause whether it's Bush's fault or Obama's fault is irrelevent, America isn't at the standard it should be and that is an issue.  And if the Media being Liberal or Conservative is to blame for the general suckitude of the american people, then **** the media. 
I don't know who's to blame, honestly, and although I suspect jw and I disagree on a few things, this is certainly common ground.

I believe media bias matters, but is certainly not solely to blame for our state of affairs.

I think the lack of a moral compass (through mostly peer pressure - not government) has led us to put more importance on who wins Dancing With The Stars than what's going on the Middle East or who wins American Idol than learning how to do simple math.   What's important has become too much of a distraction.

It's one thing to have a disagreement with people over philosophy and have fruitful discussions about it (which is healthy).  It's quite another to ignore important things for the sake of our distractions and then hurl insults at those who disagree with our uneducated positions (enough guilt on both sides in that area).  That's decidedly unhealthy,
11/27/2012 4:37 PM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Media Bias Poll Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.