DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
You're the one thinking, how the **** am I supposed to know how long it will take you?     Took you about 5 minutes to decide pedophile/child was OK.  

I'm just making assumptions based on human nature.   So I'll ask you this.    You have a female lover, long-term relationship.  You'd like marriage but she has a female lover, also a long-term relationship, and you're cool with it because you're able to stick something in there every now and then if you know what I mean.  You three live together.   Suddenly polygamy is accepted/allowed.    Your long-term lover says "I want to marry Martha but not you."     You good with that?
You're the one telling me I have to wait to make a decision on same-sex marriage. OK. How long?

No. We break up.  Although, I don't know, because suddenly I'm ok with my girlfriend having a serious relationship with another woman.  

But I'm confused what your point is.
4/5/2013 2:41 PM
Suddenly?

Yes, suddenly. As I said, the government doesn't step in and sanction who you date, when your relationship with someone becomes monogamous, when you get engaged, etc.

But then when you want to take it to the level of marriage, SUDDENLY the government wants to get involved and mandate that they license and sanction your relationship.

I think the government should just stay out of people's relationships.
4/5/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
You're the one thinking, how the **** am I supposed to know how long it will take you?     Took you about 5 minutes to decide pedophile/child was OK.  

I'm just making assumptions based on human nature.   So I'll ask you this.    You have a female lover, long-term relationship.  You'd like marriage but she has a female lover, also a long-term relationship, and you're cool with it because you're able to stick something in there every now and then if you know what I mean.  You three live together.   Suddenly polygamy is accepted/allowed.    Your long-term lover says "I want to marry Martha but not you."     You good with that?
You're the one telling me I have to wait to make a decision on same-sex marriage. OK. How long?

No. We break up.  Although, I don't know, because suddenly I'm ok with my girlfriend having a serious relationship with another woman.  

I've known a couple people who have "swung both ways."  Ultimately, they make a decision on what they're looking for.  I don't think they're any more or less likely to want to marry multiple people than someone who was straight or gay, and I'm confused why you think they are.
4/5/2013 2:43 PM

You can make a decision whenever you feel ready.  I'm not in charge of your decision-making.    If the question is meant to be "How long will YOU need?", I don't know.   I've only asked for a compelling reason to allow gay marriage.  Happy and equality are the responses.   OK.   I want everyone to be happy and equal without negatively affecting society on the whole.    I think, if three consenting adults want to get married, that they have a good case because "one man/one woman" has been tossed out. 

Of course you do.  You suddenly realize that you're not "the one".  That you've been playing second fiddle all along.   But, unless someone can provide some proof, I think there are plenty of three-way relationships that work.   Everyone isn't "It's mine and mine only". 

4/5/2013 2:47 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):

I've known a couple people who have "swung both ways."  Ultimately, they make a decision on what they're looking for.  I don't think they're any more or less likely to want to marry multiple people than someone who was straight or gay, and I'm confused why you think they are.
If you don't want to accept my bisexual marriage argument, say so.  

I'll make a straight out polygamist argument.

A man loves two women.   They are aware of each other and are fine with it.   One man/one woman has been removed from the books.   Man decides he wants to marry both women.  They say "**** yeah.  We knew you'd never pick but, now that one man/one woman is off the books, we can head to Vegas and tie the knot!!"   And off they go.    Three consenting adults wanting to get married.

Don't say polygamy can't work.   It works in a lot of countries.
4/5/2013 2:52 PM
I feel like I can make a decision on same-sex marriage.  You said "No, wait."  So I'm asking for how long.  If you're not telling me, then I don't feel like waiting for an indefinite amount of time.

I'm not necessarily saying polygamy can or can't work.  I don't know the answer.  You're the one who seems most concerned about it.
4/5/2013 3:07 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Another way of looking at this:

WHO ARE ALLOWED TO BE MARRIED?

Any 2 virgins of opposite sex of same race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of same race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of either race, children-bearing age over 18
Any 2 people of opposite sex of either race, any age over 18

"THE LINE"

Any 2 people of either race, any age over 18
Any amount of people of any race, any age over 18
1 or more people and any person or object(s) or any age

We've moved "THE LINE" before.  I think we can again without major repercussions.

This.
4/5/2013 3:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):

A man loves two women.   They are aware of each other and are fine with it.   One man/one woman has been removed from the books.   Man decides he wants to marry both women.  They say "**** yeah.  We knew you'd never pick but, now that one man/one woman is off the books, we can head to Vegas and tie the knot!!"   And off they go.    Three consenting adults wanting to get married.

THIS!
4/5/2013 3:27 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 3:07:00 PM (view original):
I feel like I can make a decision on same-sex marriage.  You said "No, wait."  So I'm asking for how long.  If you're not telling me, then I don't feel like waiting for an indefinite amount of time.

I'm not necessarily saying polygamy can or can't work.  I don't know the answer.  You're the one who seems most concerned about it.
Did you feel like you could make a decision on pedophile/child marriage yesterday?    I'd say that was a bad one. 

But, if you insist on a time period, let's go with 2/15/15.    Let me know how you feel then.   Thanks.
4/5/2013 3:30 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/5/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Suddenly?

Yes, suddenly. As I said, the government doesn't step in and sanction who you date, when your relationship with someone becomes monogamous, when you get engaged, etc.

But then when you want to take it to the level of marriage, SUDDENLY the government wants to get involved and mandate that they license and sanction your relationship.

I think the government should just stay out of people's relationships.
The government has been in the marriage business for a long time. As long as it is, gays deserve equal treatment under the law.
4/5/2013 3:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):

THIS!
Ok, fine. What's the problem with allowing polygamy?
4/5/2013 3:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):

Did you feel like you could make a decision on pedophile/child marriage yesterday?    I'd say that was a bad one. 

But, if you insist on a time period, let's go with 2/15/15.    Let me know how you feel then.   Thanks.
I think you understand I was making a point.  Unless you're more dense than I thought.

OK.  I'll let you know then.
4/5/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/5/2013 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/5/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):

I think you understand I was making a point.  Unless you're more dense than I thought.

OK.  I'll let you know then.

That point was almost as good as when you compared the African-American 100 year struggle for equality to the gays fight for marriage.

That was awesome.

4/5/2013 4:11 PM
And appropriate.
4/5/2013 4:32 PM
They're not exactly the same thing, I probably could have worded it better than that.  But I'm confident that 30 years ago if someone was out of the closet, they wouldn't have nearly the same opportunities that a straight person would have.  
4/5/2013 4:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...43|44|45|46|47...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.