DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 4/9/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 4/9/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
The federal government doesn't recognize civil unions.  (Am i wrong?)

"Happy and equal" is a great reason.  It's the reason for many of our amendments for the constitution, right? We realized there were many people who weren't equal to other citizens of the country, and they were upset about it.  So we changed the laws.
You are correct.  You receive no federal spousal benefits if you are in a civil union.  Nor can you make decisions with regards to your partners medical care, if they are incapacitated in a hospital, in most states.
And if civil unions received all those benefits, would everybody be happy?  Or would marriage still be demanded?
Page 52.

4/8/2013 3:36 PM
4/9/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Sure, if you want, and it bothers you.  Apparently people have won lawsuits on fighting "ladies nights."  I was surprised that bothered anyone.  People don't offer senior citizen discounts because they don't want young people at their restaurant. 
I guess that's where we differ. 

I wouldn't fight for the right to be married or get a senior citizen discount.  

I'd rather argue on the internet, because it's very fruitful, than waste my time on either of those things.
I also wouldn't fight for a senior citizen discount.
4/9/2013 1:18 PM
If my fiance wanted to get married, and we had to fly to a different state to get married, I'd do it.  And I'd be angry I couldn't get married in my state.
4/9/2013 1:22 PM
Not allowing a group of people to use your business based on race, sex, or sexual orientation violates rights.
I maintain no one has a "right" to use my business.

In fact, I maintain I have a right to run my business as I see fit, which includes the right to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for whatever reason I wish.

I say it's a violation of MY rights to force me to do business with anyone.

I have EVERY RIGHT to tell someone I don't want to do business with them and to go somewhere else. They have the right to tell me the same thing. That's how business works.
Because it doesn’t bother men.  It’s not hate towards men.  Allowing a discount to white people, because they are white, is hateful towards minorities.
It bothers me, and I'm a man. I do feel discriminated against as a result of it, whether that was intended or not.

I maintain I should not have to pay (or pay more) for a service just because I am a man. If it's wrong to do it because of race, then it's also wrong because of gender.

Honestly I think one of these days I'm going to file a lawsuit against a bar for ladies' night. I may also sue places that offer senior citizen discounts on the basis of age discrimination.

Edited as I noticed that someone mentioned ladies nights are illegal, which might explain why I haven't seen one in a while.

I'm still going to sue over senior citizen discounts one of these days when I finally have the time and the desire all at once.

4/9/2013 1:23 PM
You can claim to maintain all the rights you want. Reality disagrees.
4/9/2013 1:25 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
If my fiance wanted to get married, and we had to fly to a different state to get married, I'd do it.  And I'd be angry I couldn't get married in my state.
Why?  Would being married in a different state somehow make your union different?
4/9/2013 1:26 PM

If I could find a way to get the government out of my marriage I would love to do it, and I'm angry that I can't. I want to be married but I want it to have nothing to do with the government.
4/9/2013 1:26 PM
You can claim to maintain all the rights you want. Reality disagrees.

How does "reality" disagree?

If anything, reality agrees with my position, because that's how business works.

If I don't want to buy something from you, I probably have other choices and I can buy it elsewhere. Similarly, if I want to buy something from you and you refuse to sell it to me, it looks like I won't be buying it from you and will need to go elsewhere to get what I need.

Both the buyer and the seller can refuse to do business with each other at any time, and neither needs to explain a reason. As I said, that's how business works.
4/9/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Why?  Would being married in a different state somehow make your union different?
No.  But I'd be forced to go to another state to do something I feel I should do in my state.  And make my friends and family who want to celebrate with me go to another state.

If you had to do anything in a different state than the one you're living in, does it make what you're doing any different?  Or would it just **** you off that you had to go to another state to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.
4/9/2013 1:32 PM
"In fact, I maintain I have a right to run my business as I see fit, which includes the right to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for whatever reason I wish."

And this makes you an ***.
4/9/2013 1:33 PM
"Different" customer:  "I want to buy some ice cream please."
Biz: "No."
DC: "Why?"
Biz: "Because you're <insert difference>"
DC: "You're an ***."

See?
4/9/2013 1:35 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
No.  But I'd be forced to go to another state to do something I feel I should do in my state.  And make my friends and family who want to celebrate with me go to another state.

If you had to do anything in a different state than the one you're living in, does it make what you're doing any different?  Or would it just **** you off that you had to go to another state to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.
If it was worth doing, it wouldn't bother me. 

So, in your opinion, if you "feel" something, that's good enough reason for it to be so?
4/9/2013 1:37 PM
If you couldn't buy a gun in your state (but could own one), would that bother you?  It's worth buying one, right?  So just go to another state and get it.

I don't understand your second question and how it relates to this.  No, that's not a good enough reason.
4/9/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:35:00 PM (view original):
"Different" customer:  "I want to buy some ice cream please."
Biz: "No."
DC: "Why?"
Biz: "Because you're <insert difference>"
DC: "You're an ***."

See?
OK, one more point.

How does "ladies night" bother you when you argue any business should be able to do whatever they want?
4/9/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
If you couldn't buy a gun in your state (but could own one), would that bother you?  It's worth buying one, right?  So just go to another state and get it.

I don't understand your second question and how it relates to this.  No, that's not a good enough reason.

No.  If I wanted a gun, I'd do what was required(like fill out a form or go to another state).   If my state made guns illegal, I wouldn't have a gun.   If my state had never had legal guns, I imagine I wouldn't want one.

You said "I feel I should be able...."     So, you agree, how one "feels" isn't necessarily a great guideline to follow?

4/9/2013 1:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...54|55|56|57|58...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.