DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I have a buddy who is a Mets fan.   He said "I'm gonna miss Shea Stadium."   I said "Why?  It's a goddam shithole.  Maybe 2nd worst in the majors just ahead of Tropicana."    He said "Yeah but it's the only shithole I've known.  My dad took me to games there when I was a kid."

Do you think history and tradition was meaningful to him?  
Exhibition Stadium!

Alas, they still tore it down. Because history and tradition didn't trump moving forward.
4/9/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
I have a buddy who is a Mets fan.   He said "I'm gonna miss Shea Stadium."   I said "Why?  It's a goddam shithole.  Maybe 2nd worst in the majors just ahead of Tropicana."    He said "Yeah but it's the only shithole I've known.  My dad took me to games there when I was a kid."

I said this.  Do we actually know each other?
He's married so, unless you're going for full-on polygamy with your engagement, I don't think you're the same person.

Can I say "Well, that's just ******* stupid" since you miss Shea based on history and tradition?
That depends.  Does missing Shea mean I'm treating a group of people unfairly?

Perhaps those opposing gay marriage don't think they're treating gays unfairly.   You know, because the historical and traditional definition of marriage is one man/one woman.

In whose history and tradition?  Certainly not America's, where polygamy was practiced by many Native American tribes and white religions, and was not against the law until the mid-1800s.  Not Judeo-Christianity, either - if I'm not mistaken, there are examples of polygamy in the Bible.

4/9/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 4/9/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):

Exhibition Stadium!

Alas, they still tore it down. Because history and tradition didn't trump moving forward.
It's a good point.  I didn't want them to tear down Shea and use a new stadium, but it was done anyway, and I know it was ultimately the right thing to do.  It WAS a shithole.  
4/9/2013 5:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):

I said this.  Do we actually know each other?
He's married so, unless you're going for full-on polygamy with your engagement, I don't think you're the same person.

Can I say "Well, that's just ******* stupid" since you miss Shea based on history and tradition?
That depends.  Does missing Shea mean I'm treating a group of people unfairly?

Perhaps those opposing gay marriage don't think they're treating gays unfairly.   You know, because the historical and traditional definition of marriage is one man/one woman.
And the historical and traditional definition of who could vote was white men who owned property.  We changed it when we realized it was unfair to groups of people.
4/9/2013 5:14 PM
4/9/2013 5:18 PM
Maybe a topic for a different thread, but...what does being against gay marriage have to do with wanting less gun control?  What percentage of people are for gay marriage across the board but are also NRA members?  I feel like it would be very low.

The 2 seem to have nothing to do with each other.  But they're obviously correlated.  

I guess what I'm asking is - why, overall, are topics like this, that appear to have nothing to do with each other, have to be correlated.  

4/9/2013 5:32 PM (edited)

Exhibition Stadium!

Pretty fitting comparison since that was all about the money.   

And so is gay marriage. 
4/9/2013 5:43 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Maybe a topic for a different thread, but...what does being against gay marriage have to do with wanting less gun control?  What percentage of people are for gay marriage across the board but are also NRA members?  I feel like it would be very low.

The 2 seem to have nothing to do with each other.  But they're obviously correlated.  

I guess what I'm asking is - why, overall, are topics like this, that appear to have nothing to do with each other, have to be correlated.  

Uh, have you heard of liberals and conservatives? 

And, for the record, I'm all for making it tougher to buy a gun.  I'm against the govt sending out collection goons to get legally purchased guns that are already in the hands of the people.

I'd also be for making it tougher to produce babies and even making it tougher to get a license for the traditional marriage. 
4/9/2013 5:47 PM
Of course I have.  But WHY do people who are pro-life also believe that we should have as strong a military as possible?  What do the 2 have in common, besides being "conservative" viewpoints.

I understand I'm showing how naive I am to politics now.
4/9/2013 5:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):

Exhibition Stadium!

And so is gay marriage. 
Go on...I'm not following.
4/9/2013 5:52 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/9/2013 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Of course I have.  But WHY do people who are pro-life also believe that we should have as strong a military as possible?  What do the 2 have in common, besides being "conservative" viewpoints.

I understand I'm showing how naive I am to politics now.
And nevermind, it's not important.
4/9/2013 5:55 PM

Exhibition Stadium!

And so is gay marriage. 
Remove benefits from the equation.

"OK, Mark and John.  You can get married but there will be no cross medical coverage, SS benefits, no tax advantage, etc, etc. associated with said marriage."

4/9/2013 5:57 PM

Exhibition Stadium!

And so is gay marriage. 
Also fitting because it was the right move and just because Shea was demolished didn't mean we had to go demolish every old stadium.
4/9/2013 5:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 5:57:00 PM (view original):

Exhibition Stadium!

And so is gay marriage. 

"OK, Mark and John.  You can get married but there will be no cross medical coverage, SS benefits, no tax advantage, etc, etc. associated with said marriage."

So you're saying gays want to go through all this trouble just to have a fraudulent marriage? Stupid. If that was the motivation they would just set up a sham heterosexual marriage.
4/9/2013 5:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 5:57:00 PM (view original):

Exhibition Stadium!

And so is gay marriage. 

OK, then you're fighting the same battle again.  It's called marriage, but you're taking away benefits, which, again, is unequal.  
4/9/2013 6:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...57|58|59|60|61...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.