DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

'cause they like dick?
4/10/2013 3:04 PM
Yes.  And I like how I said "I'm not having this conversation with you" and then tried to continue that conversation.  I'm smart or something.

Forget that part.  Just the first question.  Are the laws in place to try to prevent people from being gay?
4/10/2013 3:06 PM
You're probably getting me confused with someone else.

Because the answer from me is "Of course not.  Did I imply they were?"
4/10/2013 3:14 PM
You blocked biz, I'm replying to him.  Like an idiot.
4/10/2013 3:24 PM
I know you understand I was making an analogy.

And I know you understand I was explaining how it didn't work.
But are you suggesting there are laws prohibiting gay marriage to persuade people not to be gay?

No.

I'm suggesting the laws in place preventing gay marriage aren't discriminatory because they're based upon choices rather than something inherent such as gender.
Why would someone CHOOSE to be gay?
I'm really not sure why you would ask a question like this.

People make the choices they do for a variety of reasons, as I'm sure you are aware. The choice of sexual preference is really no different than any other choice people make.

The only reason people like MikeT23 block me or avoid debates with me is because they don't want to have to deal with the logic I present in the face of their emotion-based opinions.

It's nice to see you're better than that, burnsy.

Simply having the guts to attempt to argue with a master debater like me isn't a reason to call yourself an idiot.
4/10/2013 3:41 PM
"master 'bater".

Heh.
4/10/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/10/2013 3:25:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, good luck with that.

4/10/2013 3:53 PM
People make the choices they do for a variety of reasons, as I'm sure you are aware. The choice of sexual preference is really no different than any other choice people make.

It's pretty silly to think that homosexuality is a choice.  People don't "choose" to be homosexual any more than people "choose" to be attracted to other aberrant sexual behavior such as pedophilia, necrophilia or beastiality.

Or are those merely "choices" too?
4/10/2013 4:50 PM
It's pretty silly to think that homosexuality is a choice.

It's silly to think it's something other than a choice, because logic dictates that it IS a choice.

I'll spell it out for you so you might understand: You choose who you are with in romantic and/or sexual encounters. In any kind of normal circumstance, no one forces you to choose who those people are.

If you're with people of the opposite gender, you're "straight". If you are with people of the same gender, you're "gay". If it's both, you're "bisexual".

It's not a hard concept to grasp, but there is a major propaganda push to make it seem like none of these choices matter when in fact they are all that matters in determining sexual preference.
 People don't "choose" to be homosexual any more than people "choose" to be attracted to other aberrant sexual behavior such as pedophilia, necrophilia or beastiality.

Or are those merely "choices" too?

Of course they are choices - the same way any action you take is a choice you have made. I'm not sure how you don't get that because it's a simple thing to understand.

Desire or attraction means absolutely nothing despite the propaganda I'm sure you've heard - your actions are what matter.

4/11/2013 9:05 AM
I misspoke.  Well, actually, you chose to misinterpret my statement for the sake of being disagreeable.

Who (or what) you are sexually attracted to is not a choice.  Acting (or not acting) upon your attractions is a choice.
4/11/2013 9:27 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/10/2013 3:42:00 PM (view original):
I know you understand I was making an analogy.

And I know you understand I was explaining how it didn't work.
But are you suggesting there are laws prohibiting gay marriage to persuade people not to be gay?

No.

I'm suggesting the laws in place preventing gay marriage aren't discriminatory because they're based upon choices rather than something inherent such as gender.
Why would someone CHOOSE to be gay?
I'm really not sure why you would ask a question like this.

The only reason people like MikeT23 block me or avoid debates with me is because they don't want to have to deal with the logic I present in the face of their emotion-based opinions.

It's nice to see you're better than that, burnsy.

Simply having the guts to attempt to argue with a master debater like me isn't a reason to call yourself an idiot.
So what you're saying is that not just that gay people can't marry, but that you think it's reasonable to suggest that they could easily just be unhappy if they want to be married so badly and marry someone they have no attraction to.  I don't think that's fair.  It's a choice, yes.  Just like I have to choice to hit myself in the head with a hammer or not do that.  It's obvious what choice I'll make.  So in that sense, it's only a choice in the most literal sense.

You are not a master debater when your arguments are vague, yet somehow also wordy, and usually lacking much evidence of anything when pressed.
4/11/2013 9:49 AM
"you think it's reasonable to suggest that they could easily just be unhappy if they want to be married so badly and marry someone they have no attraction to"

Didn't you suggest EXACTLY the same thing when I asked about sterile siblings marrying?
4/11/2013 10:09 AM
I think that's a line that can be drawn. Only attracted to your sister and no one else? Tough ****, we don't allow incest.

Only attracted to people of the same sex? That's ok, get married.
4/11/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/11/2013 10:09:00 AM (view original):
"you think it's reasonable to suggest that they could easily just be unhappy if they want to be married so badly and marry someone they have no attraction to"

Didn't you suggest EXACTLY the same thing when I asked about sterile siblings marrying?
I guess I'd tell you it's impossible that you're attracted to just one person out of 7 billion.  And what a coincidence, it's your sibling....no.
4/11/2013 10:32 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/11/2013 10:16:00 AM (view original):
I think that's a line that can be drawn. Only attracted to your sister and no one else? Tough ****, we don't allow incest.

Only attracted to people of the same sex? That's ok, get married.
The obvious response to this is "Tough ****, we don't allow gays to get married."

However, the "only attracted to your sister and nobody else you've ever met, ever" scenario is impossible.
4/11/2013 10:34 AM
◂ Prev 1...62|63|64|65|66...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.