DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

How many heterosexuals do you know that decided that they wanted to be homosexuals instead?

How many homosexuals do you know that decided that they wanted to be heterosexuals instead?
4/12/2013 4:03 PM
If being homosexual isn't hard-wired into DNA, then why would people choose to be homosexual?  If you don't know, take a few guesses on why that might happen.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: People make choices for a variety of reasons, including the choice of sexual preference. I don't know all of the factors that would go into a decision like that for others. If I were presently a homosexual, I could give you my reasons for choosing to be homosexual, but I'm not so I can't do that.

If you're that curious and you can find a homosexual who actually understands its a choice and isn't either in denial or hiding behind propaganda, perhaps you can ask them why they chose to be homosexual and find out.
4/12/2013 4:05 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
If being homosexual isn't hard-wired into DNA, then why would people choose to be homosexual?  If you don't know, take a few guesses on why that might happen.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: People make choices for a variety of reasons, including the choice of sexual preference. I don't know all of the factors that would go into a decision like that for others. If I were presently a homosexual, I could give you my reasons for choosing to be homosexual, but I'm not so I can't do that.

If you're that curious and you can find a homosexual who actually understands its a choice and isn't either in denial or hiding behind propaganda, perhaps you can ask them why they chose to be homosexual and find out.
I have asked.  It's because they're attracted to the same sex and really don't have a choice in the matter.
4/12/2013 4:06 PM
I asked you to take a guess.  
4/12/2013 4:07 PM
Bis, are you more sexually attracted to blonde men or brunette men?
4/12/2013 4:08 PM
How many heterosexuals do you know that decided that they wanted to be homosexuals instead?

How many homosexuals do you know that decided that they wanted to be heterosexuals instead?

Who I personally know is irrelevant.

However, there are MANY established cases of people who were once heterosexual choosing to instead become homosexual, and there are also some where people who are homosexual decide to be heterosexual.

In fact, as it became more acceptable in American (and probably world) culture, some people have decided to go back and forth between men and women and be bisexual, when before they may have simply been heterosexual or even homosexual in an effort to "fit in" with either the mainstream "straight" people or the "gay" community.
4/12/2013 4:08 PM
I have asked.  It's because they're attracted to the same sex and really don't have a choice in the matter.

I said you need to find someone who isn't in denial or buying into propaganda, and clearly these people are one of those two.
Bis, are you more sexually attracted to blonde men or brunette men?

Given the choice between the two, probably brunettes. Blonde men just don't look right to me unless they're Brad Pitt or a surfer guy, and even Brad Pitt is rather squinty-eyed - his blond hair just isn't terrible.

Yes, I can distinguish between which men I find more sexually attractive even though I'm heterosexual. You can too if you're not in denial or buying into propaganda.
4/12/2013 4:11 PM

I'm not guessing as to why a random person makes a random decision. That's absurd.
4/12/2013 4:13 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):

However, there are MANY established cases of people who were once heterosexual choosing to instead become homosexual, and there are also some where people who are homosexual decide to be heterosexual.

In fact, as it became more acceptable in American (and probably world) culture, some people have decided to go back and forth between men and women and be bisexual, when before they may have simply been heterosexual or even homosexual in an effort to "fit in" with either the mainstream "straight" people or the "gay" community.
Yes.  They're called bisexual.  It's a percentage of the population.  I'm starting to think that you may be one of them (not that there is anything at all wrong with it) if you think there'e a possibility that you may be attracted to men at some point in your life.
4/12/2013 4:14 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):

I'm not guessing as to why a random person makes a random decision. That's absurd.
The things you find absurd are entertaining to me.
4/12/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/12/2013 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 4/12/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):

Yes.  They're called bisexual.  It's a percentage of the population.  I'm starting to think that you may be one of them (not that there is anything at all wrong with it) if you think there'e a possibility that you may be attracted to men at some point in your life.
I think you struck gold. The only way someone would think sexuality is a choice is if they are actually bisexual. That makes so much sense. Bis, I don't have a problem with you for being bisexual, but you should understand that most people don't have the same sexual fluidity.
4/12/2013 4:17 PM
I think that we get confused with what makes someone an actual homosexual.

It isnt having sex with someone of the same sex. It isnt even wanting to have sex with them.

It is wanting them. Being atttracted to them. Wanting to be with them.

Sometimes people get confused and have sex with someone. That may turn out to be a mistake.

They choose to have sex with them, but that doesnt make them gay.

You are who you are, that doesnt mean you may not act like someone else on occasion.
4/13/2013 3:26 PM

This is the kind of faulty thought process which is perpetuated by the propaganda. It's pure ignorance to assume someone's statues re: "straight", "gay", or "bisexual" is only determined by who they find attractive at the present moment.

Those feelings and attractions can and often do change over time, meaning the label you give to someone isn't necessarily always going to be accurate - and honestly, labeling people based upon their feelings at any given time and expecting that they will never act any differently is the height of ignorance.

Sure, there are people who are "bisexual", but it has nothing to do with attraction to both genders but rather engaging in romantic and/or sexual encounters with both genders within a relatively short period of time.

As for the possibility I may change my mind, that possibility exists in everyone - people do change their minds about a great many things, including those of a sexual nature. Tastes change, preferences change, and decisions change. To act as though someone must be "bisexual" to ever change their mind about their preference is also pure ignorance.

As I've said many times, the action is all that matters - how you "feel" about it is irrelevant. Anyone who says otherwise is either deliberately perpetuating propaganda to justify something that doesn't even need justified or they are someone who has unfortunately bought into what that propaganda is trying to sell.

The things you find absurd are entertaining to me.
The things you ask me to do, such as "take a guess" about a hypothetical random person, are quite entertaining to me.

I call it as it is - when you ask something that's completely absurd, I'm going to tell you about it. That's what I do: I tell it like it is. Too few people do that anymore because everyone's worried about being PC and what others will think of them.
I think you struck gold. The only way someone would think sexuality is a choice is if they are actually bisexual.
Again, this is the height of ignorance.

People change their minds all the time. Tastes change. Preferences change. The things people like and do not like to do in life change.

If you're stuck in the mindset that people are always the same, you are an ignorant fool, plain and simple.
Bis, I don't have a problem with you for being bisexual, but you should understand that most people don't have the same sexual fluidity.
I'm not bisexual, and I am offended that you would attempt to label me as such simply because I tried to explain to you the relatively simple concept that people can and do change their minds.

Your absolute ignorance of that concept gives you no right to label me as something I'm not.  Grow up and try to learn something rather than always trying to hurl insults.
It is wanting them. Being atttracted to them. Wanting to be with them.
This makes ZERO logical sense.

You can want to commit a crime in your mind, even visualize doing it, but unless you actually do it there is no chance you're going to be charged with that crime and face a possible penalty for it.

In the same way, you can want to be with someone as much as you want, even visualize it, but unless you actually do get with them romantically and/or sexually, there is no way to determine your choices since you haven't done anything.
They choose to have sex with them, but that doesnt make them gay.
If they're of the same gender, yes it does, until they make a choice that changes that status.
You are who you are, that doesnt mean you may not act like someone else on occasion.
The way you act and what you do DETERMINES who you are. Unless you're in a play or a movie or something of that sort, you can't say that your actions don't count because you were "acting like someone else". That's a cop out and it doesn't work in the real world - unless that murderer on death row can go free by saying he was "acting like someone else" and is therefore not responsible. In fact, that would be the defense for every criminal with half a brain if it actually worked that way.

4/15/2013 8:48 AM
2 questions, Biz-

Why do you feel it's a choice and people can change their sexual preference? 

Have you heard of a situation where someone who was once homosexual is now heterosexual?  I don't know of any.  I'm assuming since you feel that tastes and preferences in regards to sexuality can change over time, you must know someone who has made this transition. 
4/15/2013 9:17 AM
Why do you feel it's a choice and people can change their sexual preference?

I'm not sure how you think it's NOT a choice - unless you and everyone you know somehow doesn't choose their own romantic and/or sexual partners.
Have you heard of a situation where someone who was once homosexual is now heterosexual? 
Yes. I've heard of people who switch in both directions. It's not as uncommon as the propaganda would have you believe.
 I'm assuming since you feel that tastes and preferences in regards to sexuality can change over time, you must know someone who has made this transition.
Yes. I know of three people who have decided to change their preference, and I've heard of many others. As I said, it happens far more often than you think and than the propaganda would lead you believe.

No, not everyone changes their minds. In fact, more people remain the same than change. However, that does not mean it can't be done or that no one makes the change, and THAT is what you need to understand.

It's like any other decisions in life. Sometimes people change their minds - sometimes they do not. The fact that they CAN and DO change their minds sometimes indicates it IS, in fact, a choice.
4/15/2013 9:39 AM
◂ Prev 1...73|74|75|76|77...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.