DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Actually, I can respond.

If the Mets changed their uniforms from blue and orange to neon green, it would also drive me batty.  When the Mets introduced black in their uniforms about 15 years ago, it drove me insane. (racist) So I get it.

Neon green would significantly change what the Mets are.  You associate the Mets with those colors.  If you changed the definition of marriage to homosexual couples ONLY, this would be the proper analogy.  

The pinstripes are gone from the Yankees.  But tec's marriage is no less if homosexuals were allowed to marry each other.  Tec has said so himself.

6/20/2013 9:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Do you understand what an analogy is?

Do you, or do you not, see how that analogy relates to SSM?
I understand an analogy. Do you understand when you've made a terrible one?

No one is taking your "pie." No one is changing your "pie." They want their own pie. Why do you care what flavor it is?
He cares what they're calling the "pie", dumbass.

He doesn't want people calling a blueberry filled pie an "apple pie".

****.  Goddam.   ****.
The pie on his plate is apple. Why does it matter to him if, in another house, someone is enjoying blueberry pie but calling it apple? Tec's pie remains unchanged.
6/20/2013 9:57 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/19/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Do you understand what an analogy is?

Do you, or do you not, see how that analogy relates to SSM?
I understand an analogy. Do you understand when you've made a terrible one?

No one is taking your "pie." No one is changing your "pie." They want their own pie. Why do you care what flavor it is?
He cares what they're calling the "pie", dumbass.

He doesn't want people calling a blueberry filled pie an "apple pie".

****.  Goddam.   ****.
The pie on his plate is apple. Why does it matter to him if, in another house, someone is enjoying blueberry pie but calling it apple? Tec's pie remains unchanged.
It doesn't.  Unless the government approves of calling all pies "apple pies". 

To break it down a little better, since you're "slow", if gays want to call their civil union a marriage, I doubt tec cares.   He just doesn't want it to be legally recognized by our government. 
6/20/2013 10:00 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/20/2013 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Actually, I can respond.

If the Mets changed their uniforms from blue and orange to neon green, it would also drive me batty.  When the Mets introduced black in their uniforms about 15 years ago, it drove me insane. (racist) So I get it.

Neon green would significantly change what the Mets are.  You associate the Mets with those colors.  If you changed the definition of marriage to homosexual couples ONLY, this would be the proper analogy.  

The pinstripes are gone from the Yankees.  But tec's marriage is no less if homosexuals were allowed to marry each other.  Tec has said so himself.

So you don't think SSM significantly changes what "marriage" is?
6/20/2013 10:01 AM
If tec doesn't want his church to recognize gay marriages, that's fine. But when the government gives benefits based on the legal definition of marriage, it needs to include gay marriages in marriage.
6/20/2013 10:04 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 10:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/20/2013 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Actually, I can respond.

So you don't think SSM significantly changes what "marriage" is?
Nope.
6/20/2013 10:05 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/20/2013 9:13:00 AM (view original):
"I value the traditional meaning of marriage."
"What is it about marriage that's so important to you?"

I'm asking why.  Why is the traditional meaning so important to him.  Let tec answer.
Because I believe that honoring and valuing tradition is an important aspect of human culture that should not be discarded lightly.
6/20/2013 10:06 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 10:04:00 AM (view original):
If tec doesn't want his church to recognize gay marriages, that's fine. But when the government gives benefits based on the legal definition of marriage, it needs to include gay marriages in marriage.
I believe that the government should provide benefits to civil unions,

I've already stated this a gazillion times in this thread.

You're the *** who insists that that's still not good enough.
6/20/2013 10:08 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2013 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 10:04:00 AM (view original):
I believe that the government should provide benefits to civil unions,

I've already stated this a gazillion times in this thread.

You're the *** who insists that that's still not good enough.
And I don't think the government should recognize marriage at all--civil unions for everyone and leave marriage to religion. But that's not reality. The government doesn't give equal rights to civil unions.
6/20/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2013 10:06:00 AM (view original):

I'm asking why.  Why is the traditional meaning so important to him.  Let tec answer.
Because I believe that honoring and valuing tradition is an important aspect of human culture that should not be discarded lightly.
Yes. But it doesn't apply to everything. Your pie example, for example, wouldn't bother you so much. A more realistic example? Maybe if the Redskins changed their name. I'm guessing that wouldn't get you to argue here for months. What is it about marriage that's so important?
6/20/2013 10:32 AM

Marriage is a fundamental aspect of human society.

6/20/2013 10:50 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/20/2013 10:32:00 AM (view original):

Yes. But it doesn't apply to everything. Your pie example, for example, wouldn't bother you so much. A more realistic example? Maybe if the Redskins changed their name. I'm guessing that wouldn't get you to argue here for months. What is it about marriage that's so important?
HOLY ****!!!!  YOU'RE A LAUGH A MINUTE TODAY!!!!

Are you seriously comparing the "value" of pie-naming or team-naming to the committment expected for marriage?

****.  Goddam.  ****.
6/20/2013 10:51 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/20/2013 10:50:00 AM (view original):

Marriage is a fundamental aspect of human society.

Which is why we shouldn't deny gay couples the right to marry.
6/20/2013 11:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/20/2013 10:32:00 AM (view original):

HOLY ****!!!!  YOU'RE A LAUGH A MINUTE TODAY!!!!

Are you seriously comparing the "value" of pie-naming or team-naming to the committment expected for marriage?

****.  Goddam.  ****.
I don't think he's saying anything about the commitment of marriage. Just the value of a restricted definition.
6/20/2013 11:08 AM
So you think the same of your team name as you do of your marriage?

OK then.
6/20/2013 11:10 AM
◂ Prev 1...216|217|218|219|220...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.