DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 2:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/21/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/21/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Yes, DOMA, which will be thrown out next week.

No.
So, only once in US history has the Feds stepped in regarding marriage laws?
Maybe the Feds have passed other laws regarding marriage. I didn't say that was the only time.
Maybe?   Haven't you been screaming a particular year out for 200 pages saying "THEY CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE ALREADY!!!!"?
Oh, I see. You're a special kind of idiot.

The Supreme Court ruled interracial marriage bans (state laws) unconstitutional. That's not the Feds(or anyone) passing a law. Didn't you watch School House Rock when you were a kid?

The Supreme Court can only "step in" if a law violates the constitution.
6/21/2013 2:10 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/21/2013 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Yes.  I don't consider "defining marriage" a "power".
I think that in the language of the Constitution it's obviously a power.  It's something you can do.  That's pretty much a power as defined in that document...
6/21/2013 2:20 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/21/2013 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 2:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/21/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/21/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Yes, DOMA, which will be thrown out next week.

No.
So, only once in US history has the Feds stepped in regarding marriage laws?
Maybe the Feds have passed other laws regarding marriage. I didn't say that was the only time.
Maybe?   Haven't you been screaming a particular year out for 200 pages saying "THEY CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE ALREADY!!!!"?
Oh, I see. You're a special kind of idiot.

The Supreme Court ruled interracial marriage bans (state laws) unconstitutional. That's not the Feds(or anyone) passing a law. Didn't you watch School House Rock when you were a kid?

The Supreme Court can only "step in" if a law violates the constitution.
Nope, you brain-dead dumbfuck.

I'll quote my post within these posts:
"So, only once in US history has the Feds stepped in regarding marriage laws?"
"Maybe?   Haven't you been screaming a particular year out for 200 pages saying "THEY CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE ALREADY!!!!"?"

Wanna play the "Point out where I......" game again?

In this case, please quote the post where I said the Feds passed a law regarding marriage.

Arguing with you is like shooting fish in a barrel.   Really dumb fish.   The kind of dumb where the fish jumps out of the barrel, lands in a pond and desperately tries to jump back in the barrel.   That's you.
6/21/2013 2:30 PM
And I'll quote my post:

"Maybe the Feds have passed other laws regarding marriage. I didn't say that was the only time."

Your response:

"Maybe?   Haven't you been screaming a particular year out for 200 pages saying "THEY CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE ALREADY!!!!"?"

Clearly you are responding to my "I don't know if they've passed other laws" post with an example of a Supreme Court decision.

So, just to make it absolutely clear:

The feds can't pass laws regulating marriage. That's for the states to do. The Supreme Court can rule laws (state or federal) unconstitutional when they violate the constitution.

6/21/2013 2:41 PM
How long has DOMA been around?    What was that?   A suggestion?

6/21/2013 2:42 PM
6/21/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 2:42:00 PM (view original):
How long has DOMA been around?    What was that?   A suggestion?

Since 1996. Do you want to bet on how many more years it will survive?
6/21/2013 2:54 PM
I thought the Feds couldn't make laws regarding marriage.    Was it a strongly worded suggestion?
6/21/2013 2:55 PM
It was law. Unconstitutional laws get passed all the time. They have to be challenged in court, though. DOMA is being challenged now. It's already been overturned in every trial and will very likely be overturned by the Supreme Court next week.
6/21/2013 3:08 PM (edited)
So would it be fair to say the Federal Government CAN pass laws pertaining to marriage(or pretty much anyfuckingthing they want)?
6/21/2013 3:18 PM
You're being dumb on purpose.

They can pass any law they want. It has to be constitutional if they want it to stand.
6/21/2013 3:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/21/2013 3:18:00 PM (view original):
So would it be fair to say the Federal Government CAN pass laws pertaining to marriage(or pretty much anyfuckingthing they want)?
Similarly, the Feds could pass a law making all guns illegal and confiscating existing guns. If the president signs it, it would go into law even though it's unconstitutional. It wouldn't stop being law until it was challenged in court.
6/21/2013 3:32 PM

What's the average lifespan of an American?   Let's just say 85 to make this easy(even if I'm sure it's not that old).    The Feds pass a law that, per you, they cannot pass.  17 years later, that law is put in front of the Supreme Court.   What's that?   20% of the average American's life? 

With that in mind, would it be fair to say "They CAN'T...." is kind of dumb?

Almost dumb fish kind of dumb?

6/21/2013 4:01 PM
No...  It would not be fair to say that.  Just because the Supreme Court took longer than it should have to hear a case on this particular law doesn't imply that it was ever Constitutional...  This certainly isn't the longest a law has stood before being struck down.
6/21/2013 4:09 PM
If it stands for a day, it was passed.    So, with that in mind, would it be fair to say anyone insisting the Feds CAN'T pass whatfuckingever law they see fit is kind of dumb?

You know, dumb fish kind of dumb?
6/21/2013 4:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...225|226|227|228|229...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.