Minimum Wage Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 6/25/2014 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/25/2014 4:19:00 PM (view original):
I can actually tell you that I've worked at a place where the CEO and other C-level executives were considered (probably correctly) 10x more valuable to business operations than I was.
Sure. We're they 1,000x more valuable than an entry level worker?

In the 70's, the average CEO pay was 8x and entry level worker in their business. Are CEOs exponentially more valuable now?
I think I have more of a problem with the 10x rule because of the actual number. If you want to make it 100x, I would say "I get it." But would be uncomfortable.
6/25/2014 4:41 PM
I can actually tell you that I've worked at a place where the CEO and other C-level executives were considered (probably correctly) 10x more valuable to business operations than I was.

In the 70's, the average CEO pay was 8x and entry level worker in their business. Are CEOs exponentially more valuable now?
I repeat ... They get paid that much because they have a certain skill set and experiences. I can teach a guy to flip burgers in an hour... Or by having him watch a YouTube video ... I can't teach a guy to run JPM in an hour, or probably even a year.... Hell I don't even have the skill set to run that bank so I couldn't even teach that person at all.
6/25/2014 4:43 PM

BL on his way to sell his plan to a group of CEO's:

6/25/2014 4:44 PM
Posted by moy23 on 6/25/2014 4:44:00 PM (view original):

I repeat ... They get paid that much because they have a certain skill set and experiences. I can teach a guy to flip burgers in an hour... Or by having him watch a YouTube video ... I can't teach a guy to run JPM in an hour, or probably even a year.... Hell I don't even have the skill set to run that bank so I couldn't even teach that person at all.
Yea...Peyton Manning gets paid $20M for his services because he's very valuable to the Broncos.  He has a very rare set of skills that's very valuable to his organization.  It doesn't mean that the ticket sales guys should get paid $2M each.  Manning is actually 400x more valuable than the ticket sales guys because you can find many many MANY other people to do that job, but very few, if any, person can do Manning's as well as Manning does.  And Manning's job is also incredibly important.
6/25/2014 4:48 PM
Imagine how many posts BL would have if there was still something left to argue. 
6/25/2014 4:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/24/2014 12:09:00 PM (view original):
I want you to say this out loud:

"I specifically created a username to argue social issues on a simsports internet site.   I post before I go to work, while at work, after I leave work and on the weekends."    If that doesn't make you feel a little weird, tell a co-worker or your wife.  
Has anyone done this?
6/25/2014 5:32 PM
To be fair, I could say "I argue social issues on a sim sports site and I post several times a day" and I'd feel a little weird.
6/25/2014 5:38 PM
Do you play the games?   Nerdy enough but reason enough to be here. 
6/25/2014 5:40 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/25/2014 4:39:00 PM (view original):
What about the CFOs and CMOs who make a million every year?  You bet your *** they're 20x more valuable then many employees, especially the bigger businesses. Many employees make $40K a year who are basically replacement-level employees.  If I tell my CFO that he has to take a 50% paycut to comply with a new law, because there's no way in hell I'm raising salaries for my 22-year old morons, he's not going to be happy.

Are you honestly this comfortable telling businesses how to distribute salaries? 
Are you comfortable with the government breaking up monopolies? Or setting a minimum wage?

I'm just as comfortable instituting a ratio that must be adhered to. Sure C-level executives can be very valuable, but there's no reason that their pay needs to be 500-1000 times more. 10-1 is just an idea, I'd be ok with a different number if it makes sense.
6/25/2014 6:39 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/25/2014 6:39:00 PM (view original):
What about the CFOs and CMOs who make a million every year?  You bet your *** they're 20x more valuable then many employees, especially the bigger businesses. Many employees make $40K a year who are basically replacement-level employees.  If I tell my CFO that he has to take a 50% paycut to comply with a new law, because there's no way in hell I'm raising salaries for my 22-year old morons, he's not going to be happy.

Are you honestly this comfortable telling businesses how to distribute salaries? 
Are you comfortable with the government breaking up monopolies? Or setting a minimum wage?

I'm just as comfortable instituting a ratio that must be adhered to. Sure C-level executives can be very valuable, but there's no reason that their pay needs to be 500-1000 times more. 10-1 is just an idea, I'd be ok with a different number if it makes sense.
You'd be comfortable instituting a limit on children per family and cars per household.... You know no bounds.
6/25/2014 6:57 PM
Posted by moy23 on 6/25/2014 6:57:00 PM (view original):

You'd be comfortable instituting a limit on children per family and cars per household.... You know no bounds.
No. Those aren't necessary.
6/25/2014 7:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/25/2014 7:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 6/25/2014 6:57:00 PM (view original):

No. Those aren't necessary.
Really? We have an overpopulation problem and a global warming issue at hand.
6/25/2014 7:10 PM
I don't think the US has an over population problem.
6/25/2014 7:59 PM
Daily tally!!!!    Starts at 6:24 AM, makes 31 posts and stops at 4:59 PM.    This is after declaring "There's nothing left to argue."     I don't know guys but, in my book, that's a busy day of arguing nothing.
6/26/2014 7:54 AM
Come on now, Mike.  Let's be fair to BL.  After all, he did share Bill James' fantastic idea about how limiting the salaries of highly compensated employees will save the U.S.
6/26/2014 8:03 AM
◂ Prev 1...104|105|106|107|108...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.