Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by moy23 on 4/14/2015 10:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/14/2015 9:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 4/14/2015 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/14/2015 3:25:00 PM (view original):
I'd say it seems odd that BL can't see the other side of the story but that's sort of his M.O.     I think a murder conviction is possible but not likely.   IMO, a lot will depend on the "chase", the struggle and what Slager knew about Scott when he ran the first time.    The "chase" was less than 100 yards.   I imagine the entire incident was less than 30 seconds.    If Slager didn't say "I'm gonna shoot this ******" when he jumped out of the car, it's mostly just reaction to the situation.
In police dashboard camera video released Monday evening, Slager can be heard telling a fellow officer after the shooting he didn't understand why Scott ran away. "I don't understand why he took off like that," Slager said. "I don't understand why he'd run." So that's what the cop knew when he ran.
Pretty strong evidence that Slager didn't think Scott was likely to harm someone else. So that takes both of the Tennessee v Garner allowances for shooting a fleeing suspect off of the table.
also doesn't sound like a guy acting out of malice. typically murder requires premeditation. juss sayin' (again)
Not sure how that's strong evidence that he didn't think Scott was likely to harm someone else.

"It was just a simple traffic stop.  $50 ticket. I don't understand why he took off like that," Slager said. "I don't understand why he'd run.  He might have had a murder charge against him."
4/15/2015 6:59 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/15/2015 12:37:00 AM (view original):
Malice IS intent to do harm. Jackass.
No. Intent is intent. Malice is 'evil' intent. A cop saying he's not sure why the guy ran doesn't sound like a guy that had evil intent to gun him down.

malice
[mal-is]
noun
desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness:

Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others
4/15/2015 7:23 AM (edited)
Posted by moy23 on 4/15/2015 12:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 4/14/2015 10:58:00 PM (view original):
Murder does not require premeditation. Malice aforethought simply means that you intended to cause harm.
Voluntary manslaughter also means you intended to do harm, only without malice. Both charges have intention to do harm. Murder is typically premeditated whereas voluntary manslaughter is in the heat of the moment. Go read up on manslaughter and then tell me what differeciates the two charges if not premeditation.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/manslaughter
You still haven't told me the differences in the charges. I don't think you know what voluntary manslaughter is.
4/15/2015 7:17 AM
We don't have time, or bandwidth, to go thru the things BL doesn't know.    Pretty sure he said the charge was 2nd degree murder after he agreed 1st degree didn't apply.   Then, when he found out the SC doesn't have 2nd degree, he went with "Did you see the video?" as he go to response. 

Anyway, think about this.    You're stopped for a minor traffic violation on a Saturday morning.    Why would you run?   The cops have your name, your address and your car.   You aren't running over a broken tail light.    It's something bigger.    The cop doesn't know what it is but, when he catches you, you fight him for his taser.  WTF do you think goes thru the cops' mind at that point?    If you say anything other than "That guy is dangerous", you're full of ****.    You've gone from minor traffic violation to resisting arrest to assaulting a police officer in 30 seconds.    Why the **** wouldn't the cop think you're a danger to him and, possibly, society in general?
4/15/2015 8:14 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/15/2015 8:14:00 AM (view original):
We don't have time, or bandwidth, to go thru the things BL doesn't know.    Pretty sure he said the charge was 2nd degree murder after he agreed 1st degree didn't apply.   Then, when he found out the SC doesn't have 2nd degree, he went with "Did you see the video?" as he go to response. 

Anyway, think about this.    You're stopped for a minor traffic violation on a Saturday morning.    Why would you run?   The cops have your name, your address and your car.   You aren't running over a broken tail light.    It's something bigger.    The cop doesn't know what it is but, when he catches you, you fight him for his taser.  WTF do you think goes thru the cops' mind at that point?    If you say anything other than "That guy is dangerous", you're full of ****.    You've gone from minor traffic violation to resisting arrest to assaulting a police officer in 30 seconds.    Why the **** wouldn't the cop think you're a danger to him and, possibly, society in general?
by law the jury has to put themselves in the cops shoes since he was on duty. that will only strengthen the case you just laid out. its manslaughter, that's what this cop did imo... at least at this point. more evidence will still come in, like that second witness that saw a 'tussle', etc.

Edit: found what I was looking for...

"police have an extra layer of legal protection from the Supreme Court, which ruled in 1989 that officers' actions "must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene," and that the "calculus must embody an allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions about the amount of force necessary in a particular situation.""
4/15/2015 9:03 AM (edited)
RACISM -- ALIVE AND WELL IN AMERIKA

VERY SAD
4/15/2015 8:55 AM
I KNOW.  WHY DO YOU HATE WHITE COPS JUST DOING THEIR JOB!?!?!?
4/15/2015 9:06 AM
Posted by moy23 on 4/15/2015 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/15/2015 8:14:00 AM (view original):

by law the jury has to put themselves in the cops shoes since he was on duty. that will only strengthen the case you just laid out. its manslaughter, that's what this cop did imo... at least at this point. more evidence will still come in, like that second witness that saw a 'tussle', etc.

Edit: found what I was looking for...

"police have an extra layer of legal protection from the Supreme Court, which ruled in 1989 that officers' actions "must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene," and that the "calculus must embody an allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions about the amount of force necessary in a particular situation.""

Yeah, manslaughter would have been a walk in the park to prove.

As I said many pages ago, the conspiracy theorists will come out of the woodwork when he's found not guilty of murder and walks away with time served.   "THE DA WAS IN ON IT!!!!   THEY COULD HAVE PUT HIM AWAY FOR 5 YEARS AND NOW HE'S A FREE MAN!!!!!"

4/15/2015 9:08 AM
Murder is premeditated, with very few exceptions. BL isnt necessarily wrong that what slager did could be considered murder its just that its a loooooong shot to prove in court. They need to get a 'cop' who already gets leniency pegged on very rare murder 'exceptions', not norms. Murder typically is the charge for premeditated events like say taking a bomb to a marathon, going into the workplace or a school with a machine gun, or pulling a Scott Peterson. I still can't find a case where an on-duty cop was convicted of murder. That's how rare it is.
4/15/2015 9:31 AM
Why would you believe anything the cop says in this case? He drops the taser by the body and lies about CPR on the police report.
4/15/2015 9:39 AM
First degree murder. A deliberate, premeditated killing is generally considered a first degree murder. Where the defendant planned the killing (as in a poisoning), she will usually be charged with first degree murder. The Los Angeles district attorney charged O. J. Simpson with two first degree murder counts in the deaths of his ex-wife Nicole Simpson and another person. The district attorney brought the first degree murder charges based on crime scene evidence, including a bloody glove, and on evidence that Simpson allegedly spied on his wife prior to the killings. Such evidence could have indicated a plan or premeditation to commit the crimes.

Second degree murder. In the widely-reported shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, the prosecutor in Seminole County, Florida, charged neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman with second degree murder. The reason that the prosecutor charged Zimmerman with second degree murder is that Zimmerman shot Martin and there is no evidence that the killing was premeditated. To win a conviction of Zimmerman on the charge, the prosecutor will have to prove to the jury that Zimmerman intended to inflict grievous bodily harm on Martin.

Felony murder. Let’s assume by way of example that Bonnie and Clyde rob a bank. Clyde shoots and kills the guard during a confrontation. Clyde is charged with first degree murder and Bonnie is charged with felony murder because the guard died during Bonnie’s participation as an accomplice in committing the dangerous felony of armed robbery. Now let’s assume instead that Bonnie waits behind the wheel of the getaway car while Clyde robs the bank. After the robbery, Clyde jumps into the car and Bonnie speeds off, accidentally hitting and killing a pedestrian. Both Bonnie and Clyde are charged with felony murder, again because they accidentally killed the pedestrian while committing a dangerous felony.

Aggravating circumstances. Murder committed under certain circumstances, such as by laying in wait, or murder targeting a person in a particular position, such as a police officer, judge, or firefighter, can lead to a more severe sentence, including the death penalty.
4/15/2015 9:42 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2015 9:39:00 AM (view original):
Why would you believe anything the cop says in this case? He drops the taser by the body and lies about CPR on the police report.
The assisting BLACK cop lied about the CPR.
4/15/2015 9:55 AM
As for what he says, I'm not sure much of what he says beyond what he felt(and you can't prove how he felt) will matter.   Seems to me that most of it is on video.
4/15/2015 9:58 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/15/2015 9:42:00 AM (view original):
First degree murder. A deliberate, premeditated killing is generally considered a first degree murder. Where the defendant planned the killing (as in a poisoning), she will usually be charged with first degree murder. The Los Angeles district attorney charged O. J. Simpson with two first degree murder counts in the deaths of his ex-wife Nicole Simpson and another person. The district attorney brought the first degree murder charges based on crime scene evidence, including a bloody glove, and on evidence that Simpson allegedly spied on his wife prior to the killings. Such evidence could have indicated a plan or premeditation to commit the crimes.

Second degree murder. In the widely-reported shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, the prosecutor in Seminole County, Florida, charged neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman with second degree murder. The reason that the prosecutor charged Zimmerman with second degree murder is that Zimmerman shot Martin and there is no evidence that the killing was premeditated. To win a conviction of Zimmerman on the charge, the prosecutor will have to prove to the jury that Zimmerman intended to inflict grievous bodily harm on Martin.

Felony murder. Let’s assume by way of example that Bonnie and Clyde rob a bank. Clyde shoots and kills the guard during a confrontation. Clyde is charged with first degree murder and Bonnie is charged with felony murder because the guard died during Bonnie’s participation as an accomplice in committing the dangerous felony of armed robbery. Now let’s assume instead that Bonnie waits behind the wheel of the getaway car while Clyde robs the bank. After the robbery, Clyde jumps into the car and Bonnie speeds off, accidentally hitting and killing a pedestrian. Both Bonnie and Clyde are charged with felony murder, again because they accidentally killed the pedestrian while committing a dangerous felony.

Aggravating circumstances. Murder committed under certain circumstances, such as by laying in wait, or murder targeting a person in a particular position, such as a police officer, judge, or firefighter, can lead to a more severe sentence, including the death penalty.
South Carolina does not have second degree murder, or third degree (which some states have) as far as I can tell. They seem to lump it in with voluntary manslaughter.
4/15/2015 10:43 AM
Add Aaron Hernandez to the list of examples for 1st degree murder.
4/15/2015 10:44 AM
◂ Prev 1...109|110|111|112|113...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.