Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by moy23 on 5/2/2015 11:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by genghisxcon on 5/2/2015 7:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2015 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Like I said before, rioting isn't a good thing but sometimes the ends justify the means.
There is no justification for lawless behavior in a civilized society, despite how many times you insist on saying there is.
What is your opinion on the American Revolution and the Underground Railroad? Justifiable or no?
as justifiable as the iraq war and smuggling illegals across the US border.
Was that a yes or a no, tec/moy?
5/3/2015 3:13 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2015 12:10:00 AM (view original):
Somebody had to go back 200 years.   Society hasn't changed a bit since then.  

Dumbass.
Yes, you certainly are a dumbass. If you weren't a dumbass, you'd realize it was a philosophical question based on your buddy's assertion that lawless behavior is never justified, and whether the examples are 200-years-old, 2000-years-old or 2-years-old is irrelevant.

But sadly, you are a dumbass, and there's not much to be done about it now. If you had a shred of decency and self-awareness, you'd stop posting your drivel here and stick to the baseball forums. Little chance of that, I suppose.

Now if you're lucky, no one will quote this, so you can pretend you didn't read it.
5/3/2015 3:47 AM
Posted by genghisxcon on 5/3/2015 3:13:00 AM (view original):
Like I said before, rioting isn't a good thing but sometimes the ends justify the means.
There is no justification for lawless behavior in a civilized society, despite how many times you insist on saying there is.
What is your opinion on the American Revolution and the Underground Railroad? Justifiable or no?
You should really be more specific, I.e. what 'ends' were justified... But I gave you my answer.

Those events are as justifiable as the Vietnam war, world war II, the Iraq war etc..... And as justifiable as smuggling illegals over the US border. Do you think the events I listed are justifiable? I don't. I understand why they happen(ed), but that doesn't make it right.
5/3/2015 7:13 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/3/2015 12:10:00 AM (view original):
Somebody had to go back 200 years.   Society hasn't changed a bit since then.  

Dumbass.
Yeah, but people still want to hold the 2nd Amendment sacred, because Founders...

The problem is when people make absolute statements... Like ".......is NEVER justified."

5/3/2015 8:18 AM
Uh, the problem with going back 200 years(or less) is that is was legal to own human beings.    I'm not sure that's a "civilized" society.    Laws were changed over the years.    If you want to compare it to the 2nd Amendment, that's fine.   People are trying to change that too.  I don't see any looting and rioting associated with it but people are trying to change.

Truth is, America became "civilized" when women were given the right to vote.    It may have taken much longer for "equality", which hasn't been achieved, but the laws were in place to give equal rights to all people.
5/3/2015 9:54 AM
To summarize, it's never "right" to loot/riot in a civilized society.     The whole idea of "civilized" is that the people are more advanced.    Burning buildings and stealing isn't advanced behavior.
5/3/2015 9:56 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/2/2015 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2015 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/2/2015 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Are you now equating MLK to the Baltimore rioters?
Nope. I'm saying that sometimes breaking the law is acceptable. Sometimes the ends justify the means.
And what "end" were the Baltimore rioters trying to achieve?
I already said before, that, in this case, it's not clear that the rioting is justifiable. My point is that sometimes it is justifiable.
5/3/2015 10:40 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/3/2015 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/2/2015 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2015 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/2/2015 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Are you now equating MLK to the Baltimore rioters?
Nope. I'm saying that sometimes breaking the law is acceptable. Sometimes the ends justify the means.
And what "end" were the Baltimore rioters trying to achieve?
I already said before, that, in this case, it's not clear that the rioting is justifiable. My point is that sometimes it is justifiable.
two wrongs don't make a right
5/3/2015 10:48 AM
Posted by moy23 on 5/3/2015 7:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by genghisxcon on 5/3/2015 3:13:00 AM (view original):
You should really be more specific, I.e. what 'ends' were justified... But I gave you my answer.

Those events are as justifiable as the Vietnam war, world war II, the Iraq war etc..... And as justifiable as smuggling illegals over the US border. Do you think the events I listed are justifiable? I don't. I understand why they happen(ed), but that doesn't make it right.

Were the American Revolution and the Underground Railroad justifiable, Mr Moy?
As justifiable as the Iraq war and smuggling illegals across the US border.
Well, were they justifiable?
As justifiable as the Vietnam War, World War II, the Iraq War etc
Well, were they justifiable?
As justifiable as wearing white after Labor Day or rooting for the Yankees.
Umm... thanks for your "answer"

You hinted at "no," though why you couldn't just have said so initially, instead of making this into an Abbott & Costello routine is beyond me.

I did notice that you seem to believe that helping slaves to freedom isn't justifiable. Maybe you're not the one to question anyone's ethics, eh?

5/3/2015 1:33 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Do you ever even try to make sense, Dougie?
5/3/2015 3:10 PM
Which brings me back full circle....

Rioting in the streets, burning down property that's not yours, shooting people, and robbing stores is never justifiable.... But legally campaigning for a new law that all police wear body cameras to prevent or reduce police brutality is justifiable. Like I've pointed out before: How did 5 million illegals manage to get amnesty without one single riot? They politicked. That's how. Why can't blacks do the same? Its not like Sharpton doesn't have our Presidents ear.
5/3/2015 4:12 PM
MOY

<<I'm a law abiding citizen. Just because I don't believe in a law (and there are plenty of laws I think are stupid) doesn't mean, in my opinion at least, that I don't need to follow them. Those serving on the underground railroad were breaking the law and if caught they deserved to be prosecuted. Unfortunately at that time slaves were considered property. Fortunately however the 13th amendment changed that. Legally, as was done with the 13th amendment, would be the way to make permanent change with integrity... Not smuggling, stealing, rioting, etc.

Justification is always in the eye of the beholder (which is why we have laws to clarify what is just and what is not). Smuggling kids across the US border for a better life is no different than smuggling a slave north of the Mason Dixon line for the same. Do you think breaking the law today to help illegal immigrants across our borders is 'justifiable'?>>

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, if you were a Jew in Nazi Germany you would voluntarily go along with the program because it was "legal"? Or if you were an AMERICAN CITIZEN of Japanese heritage you would just sell off your property for cents on the dollar and head off to the prison camp the government had set up for you because of nothing you had done ...nor would you protest on behalf of your friends who were in such a situation?

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Not justifying the rioting or looting...because I don't see the higher purpose. But I can acknowledge that illegal behavior can be justified. And don't let the behavior of the knuckleheads detract from the legitimate claims of those who have peacefully and maybe not so peacefully protested the actions of police around the country that step over the line.
5/3/2015 7:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...130|131|132|133|134...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.