Andrew Hawkins Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 12/16/2014 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/16/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/16/2014 2:14:00 PM (view original):
How about this guy?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justice/south-carolina-trooper-shooting/

Yea, that's criminal.

IMO, the police in the Rice killing were justified because they believed Rice had a gun, and was aiming it at people. They believed him to be dangerous.
The cop in SC believed he was in danger, too. He didn't decide, "I'm going to go shoot a black person today."
There's an obvious difference between the 2 situations. One police officer is told that a suspect has a gun and is pointing it at people. When he tells the suspect to put his hands up in the air, and instead he reaches for his gun, the shooting makes sense.

Telling someone who didn't have his seat belt on to get his license, and when he goes to do that, you shoot him? That shooting makes no sense.
12/16/2014 2:51 PM
When did the police tell Rice to put his hands in the air? They literally shot him within 2 seconds of their arrival. This shooting also makes no sense. Anyone can see that the way to handle this is to stay farther back and take more than 2 seconds to assess the situation. No one was being threatened.
12/16/2014 2:58 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/16/2014 2:58:00 PM (view original):
When did the police tell Rice to put his hands in the air? They literally shot him within 2 seconds of their arrival. This shooting also makes no sense. Anyone can see that the way to handle this is to stay farther back and take more than 2 seconds to assess the situation. No one was being threatened.
Holy ****.  You are so ******* stubborn, it's pathetic.

The kid was like three feet from the car and presumably either had the gun in his hand, or was reaching for it.  How the hell do you "take more than 2 seconds to assess the situation" when the ******* situation is immediately unfolding right in front of you?

Do you even stop to think what you are posing before your fingers hit the keyboard?

12/16/2014 3:06 PM
How did Rice get 3 feet from the car?
12/16/2014 3:11 PM
Watch the video.
12/16/2014 3:17 PM
Lol
12/16/2014 3:18 PM
You're an idiot. So the cops couldn't possibly have taken more time to assess the situation because, "the kid was like three feet from the car."

Yep. The car the cops drove right up to him.

Stop 30 feet away and everything is probably fine.
12/16/2014 3:20 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/16/2014 1:59:00 PM (view original):
OK, so it's the cop's fault.

As it always is with you.

Business as usual.

Carry on.

Good job.
12/16/2014 3:24 PM
One could argue that people in the park were being threatened by a crazy man with a gun.  If that's what the cops believed, I understand their reaction.

I'll disagree that driving up to Rice, rather than staying back, makes their situation criminal.  And generally, when cops are told "this person has a gun" they don't stay back to watch him for a bit.  I'd also argue that if they're 30 feet away, rather than 5 feet away, I doubt much changes. You think that distance will keep a cop from firing his gun if Rice reacts the exact same way?

Is there a situation where a cop makes a mistake, and it involves the death of someone innocent, where the cop could be innocent of criminal charges?
12/16/2014 3:51 PM
It's funny when BL puts his stake in the ground and refuses to budge from his idiotic position of the day.
12/16/2014 4:04 PM
How about this guy?

Yea, that's criminal.

IMO, the police in the Rice killing were justified because they believed Rice had a gun, and was aiming it at people. They believed him to be dangerous.
Criminal?   Not so much.    He was fired for being incompetent.  

Nonetheless, when dealing with cops, you have to let them know what you're doing while you're doing it if you'll be out of their view.   Cops don't like not being able to see what you're doing.
12/16/2014 4:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/16/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):
How about this guy?

Yea, that's criminal.

Criminal?   Not so much.    He was fired for being incompetent.  

Nonetheless, when dealing with cops, you have to let them know what you're doing while you're doing it if you'll be out of their view.   Cops don't like not being able to see what you're doing.
He was charged with assault and battery.  If he killed this man, I'd argue he should be charged with manslaughter in the same way we argued about the Garner case.
12/16/2014 4:08 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/16/2014 3:52:00 PM (view original):
One could argue that people in the park were being threatened by a crazy man with a gun.  If that's what the cops believed, I understand their reaction.

I'll disagree that driving up to Rice, rather than staying back, makes their situation criminal.  And generally, when cops are told "this person has a gun" they don't stay back to watch him for a bit.  I'd also argue that if they're 30 feet away, rather than 5 feet away, I doubt much changes. You think that distance will keep a cop from firing his gun if Rice reacts the exact same way?

Is there a situation where a cop makes a mistake, and it involves the death of someone innocent, where the cop could be innocent of criminal charges?
You could argue that. But there weren't any other people in the frame. That doesn't mean there weren't other people in the park, but the video shows Rice standing around or sitting on the bench for more than ten minutes. Anyone fearing for their life had ample opportunity to leave.

Generally, the protocol for dealing with a person with a gun is this:

"When approaching someone who's either holding a gun or indicating that they have one, police are trained to first take cover at a safe distance and create a barrier between themselves and the other person. This usually means ducking behind the police cruiser or a building. 

Next, officers should draw their weapons and command the suspect to drop their gun and get on the ground. The dialogue that happens between an officer and the suspect is what some experts call the most important aspect of police work."

12/16/2014 4:08 PM
And ****, he just said "show me your license," so he went to do that. Maybe the cop should have moved quickly towards him to see what he was doing, maybe he could yell "come back, hands up", something different.  Again, he wasn't a threat, there was no reason to shoot him. Thinking he was was very wrong, and shooting him was criminal, in my opinion.
12/16/2014 4:10 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/16/2014 4:04:00 PM (view original):
It's funny when BL puts his stake in the ground and refuses to budge from his idiotic position of the day.
You mean like you just did with your:

"What else could the cops have done? The situation was literally unfolding three feet away from them! Derrrrr, no time to think."

12/16/2014 4:10 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...26 Next ▸
Andrew Hawkins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.