12/8/2015 12:35 PM
12/8/2015 12:36 PM
12/8/2015 12:36 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/7/2015 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/7/2015 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/4/2015 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2015 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/4/2015 12:26:00 PM (view original):
Where in the article does it say that he wishes anybody a "slavery filled holiday"?

In fact, where in the the article does it say that the person in question associates the Confederate flag with slavery?

"May your Christmas be filled with memories of a happier time when South Carolina’s leaders possessed morals, convictions and the principles to stand for what is right" - referring to the decision to remove the Confederate Flag.
Nope.  Don't see ANY references to slavery there.

So WTF are you talking about?

Back to THIS.

Where in the article does it say anything about slavery?  Or that the person in question associates the Confederate flag with slavery?

Because your subsequent post said flat-out that that's what was meant by his Christmas message.  This, despite your subsequent claim that you "never said I get to decide what something means to someone else".

So which is it . . . do you or don't you get to decide what things mean to people other than yourself?
So, if a politician complained about a US state removing a swastika from its capitol building by wishing for a happier time when leaders stood up for what was right, you'd argue that the swastika means different things to different people and that he isn't in favor of nazis or an anti-semite?

Correct?
I guess I missed this in the news.  Which state capitol is or was flying a swasika flag?

But that's besides the point.  Back to my question: do you or don't you get to decide what things mean to people other than yourself?  You said that you don't shortly after you did just that.

12/8/2015 12:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/8/2015 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/7/2015 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/7/2015 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/4/2015 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2015 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/4/2015 12:26:00 PM (view original):
Where in the article does it say that he wishes anybody a "slavery filled holiday"?

In fact, where in the the article does it say that the person in question associates the Confederate flag with slavery?

"May your Christmas be filled with memories of a happier time when South Carolina’s leaders possessed morals, convictions and the principles to stand for what is right" - referring to the decision to remove the Confederate Flag.
Nope.  Don't see ANY references to slavery there.

So WTF are you talking about?

Back to THIS.

Where in the article does it say anything about slavery?  Or that the person in question associates the Confederate flag with slavery?

Because your subsequent post said flat-out that that's what was meant by his Christmas message.  This, despite your subsequent claim that you "never said I get to decide what something means to someone else".

So which is it . . . do you or don't you get to decide what things mean to people other than yourself?
So, if a politician complained about a US state removing a swastika from its capitol building by wishing for a happier time when leaders stood up for what was right, you'd argue that the swastika means different things to different people and that he isn't in favor of nazis or an anti-semite?

Correct?
I guess I missed this in the news.  Which state capitol is or was flying a swasika flag?

But that's besides the point.  Back to my question: do you or don't you get to decide what things mean to people other than yourself?  You said that you don't shortly after you did just that.

It's a hypothetical, dipshit.

As you pointed out earlier, a swastika doesn't always signal anti-semitism. Yet, if there were a politician arguing that it should be flown over the state capitol building, it would be fair to criticize that politician for being a ******* idiot because the swastika has a general symbolism that is offensive and completely inappropriate for a government building.

In the same way, yes, some people view the confederate flag as an inoffensive symbol of southern pride but, in general, it's a symbol of the south's fight to keep slavery legal.
12/8/2015 1:01 PM
So is BL now comparing the Confederate Flag to the Swastika?

12/8/2015 1:18 PM
On a scale of bronxcheer to infinity, exactly how retarded are you?

Just because YOUR OPINION is that the Confederate flag is "a symbol of the south's fight to keep slavery legal" DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE.

Repeating YOUR OPINION over and over and over and over and over again DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE.

You DO NOT GET TO DECIDE what things mean to everybody.  Not even, IN GENERAL.

Hope this clears things up for you.

12/8/2015 1:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/8/2015 1:18:00 PM (view original):

I don't think he has a clue about what he's doing.
12/8/2015 1:20 PM
I'm almost positive he's clueless.

He should read a book on the Civil War and the events that preceded it.   It can even be a children's book because I think he'll gain knowledge he currently doesn't have.

12/8/2015 1:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/8/2015 1:19:00 PM (view original):

Just because YOUR OPINION is that the Confederate flag is "a symbol of the south's fight to keep slavery legal" DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE.

Repeating YOUR OPINION over and over and over and over and over again DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE.

Is the confederate flag a symbol of the south's side of the civil war?
12/8/2015 1:32 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/8/2015 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/8/2015 1:18:00 PM (view original):

I don't think he has a clue about what he's doing.
YOU brought up the swastika. 
12/8/2015 1:32 PM
Tec:

You said before that it the flag should not be flown over the state capitol building. Why do you think that?

12/8/2015 1:37 PM
This would be a good start.   Looks like it has lots of fun pictures.

12/8/2015 1:46 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/8/2015 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/8/2015 1:19:00 PM (view original):

Is the confederate flag a symbol of the south's side of the civil war?
It's different things to different people.  There's no single universal definition of what it means, despite your insistence that there is.
12/8/2015 1:55 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/8/2015 1:37:00 PM (view original):
Tec:

You said before that it the flag should not be flown over the state capitol building. Why do you think that?

Asked and answered.  Go look it up in the other thread if you're so interested.
12/8/2015 1:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
south carolina...LOL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.