Critical news debate Topic

Posted by dcbove on 5/7/2015 6:56:00 PM (view original):
Not sure how it'll turn out, but with an ADV of 10 I would rather see good information in 50% of cases and nothing in the others as opposed to suspect information in 100% of the cases.  

I guess the RL analog would be that with ADV of 20 my good scouts can cover the whole country but with an ADV of 10 I can only afford to send good scouts to half the country.  In no case do I want to spend $10M on ADV to send crappy scouts to the entire country.
agreed. I've always hated this about scouting. Unless you actually spend $14m (or so), projections are just very much blatantly wrong. And if there was true stud, even if your budget is zero, you should always be able to see him. 
5/7/2015 6:58 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 6:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dcbove on 5/7/2015 6:46:00 PM (view original):
I only read the first few pages so forgive me if this is a duplicate.

Here's the scenario:
  • Two teams, one with ADV of 0 and one with ADV of 20, are considering signing a 33 year old FA position player to a three-year deal.
  • Each can only see the current and projected rankings for the current season (which, unless there is a change I"m missing, will be the same).
So, is it true that the team with good ADV has no advantage over the the other team with regards to whether the player has already begun declining?

---

TL;DR:  ADV only applies to projecting prospect development.  Everyone is equally in the dark about veteran decline.  Correct?
I think this is all correct.

I can't think of a scenario where this wouldn't be true pre or post update.
I was hoping (maybe?) that ADV would apply to helping view the decline of players as opposed to leaving everyone equally in the dark regarding potential decline.  (i.e., if you pay in ADV, you get the services of a scout that says:  Joey Ballplayer's bat speed is slower this year than last year).
5/7/2015 6:59 PM
Not sure how it'll turn out, but with an ADV of 10 I would rather see good information in 50% of cases and nothing in the others as opposed to suspect information in 100% of the cases.  

I guess the RL analog would be that with ADV of 20 my good scouts can cover the whole country but with an ADV of 10 I can only afford to send good scouts to half the country.  In no case do I want to spend $10M on ADV to send crappy scouts to the entire country.
And truth be told that was the real reason I went to 0 ADV. 
There was no reason for it. I had tried 20 and the projections weren't really all that accurate IMO. 
I could run a formula and get just as close and sometimes closer.

In your scenario, how would you know which half of your projections were valid?
5/7/2015 7:00 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/7/2015 6:11:00 PM (view original):
Actually, this is going to result in a big blitz of people downloading entire rosters in every league before the change.  A smart commissioner would work a quid pro quo with commissioners in other leagues or have the rosters posted somewhere, so n00bs aren't at a total disadvantage entering a new league.

I don't see this happening. Why? Please elaborate.
5/7/2015 7:01 PM
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 6:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:03:00 PM (view original):
My feelings are if they're going to try and coerce you into putting more money into scouting then they should include fixing the injury issue's so we don't have to keep dumping 20M into training and medical and free up some budget space.

No one is forced to put $ into training or medical.   There are a lot of 0 medical owners out there.    Not so many 0 training because it affects development.

True but if they're making the $ put into scouting more indicative of a players numbers then the same should be done to medical, it's ridiculous to have a 90 health player get long term injuries in back to back seasons while a 20 health player can go years without a scratch.
But that's how life works.  Jason Kendall was one of the most durable C in baseball until he broke his leg running to first.
5/7/2015 7:01 PM
Posted by dcbove on 5/7/2015 6:59:00 PM (view original):

Here's the scenario:
  • Two teams, one with ADV of 0 and one with ADV of 20, are considering signing a 33 year old FA position player to a three-year deal.
  • Each can only see the current and projected rankings for the current season (which, unless there is a change I"m missing, will be the same).
So, is it true that the team with good ADV has no advantage over the the other team with regards to whether the player has already begun declining?

---

TL;DR:  ADV only applies to projecting prospect development.  Everyone is equally in the dark about veteran decline.  Correct?

I was hoping (maybe?) that ADV would apply to helping view the decline of players as opposed to leaving everyone equally in the dark regarding potential decline.  (i.e., if you pay in ADV, you get the services of a scout that says:  Joey Ballplayer's bat speed is slower this year than last year).
Everyone declines. It's just a question of how fast from season to season. In real life you don't know this about any player and I think that's fair. In fact with a high MU and a high training budget you can do better than real life in that regard.
5/7/2015 7:02 PM
Posted by jrnyfan01 on 5/7/2015 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Seems like 5 seasons to bring your ADV or INT/HS/COLL scouting from zero to 20. Without 20, who will trade with you? Players you have drafted/acquired prior to that number are suspect at best once the update is incorporated.
Then, 3.5 or 4 seasons to see those better projected draft picks progress through the minors and play for your ML team (if lucky because you still could draft someone crappy). At least 2 calendar years and $200+ to adjust to the new world order for each team owned. I think they might be overestimating my love of the game...
Virtually everyone in the two worlds I commish are 0 ADV.   We're all starting at the same place.
5/7/2015 7:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 6:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:03:00 PM (view original):
My feelings are if they're going to try and coerce you into putting more money into scouting then they should include fixing the injury issue's so we don't have to keep dumping 20M into training and medical and free up some budget space.

No one is forced to put $ into training or medical.   There are a lot of 0 medical owners out there.    Not so many 0 training because it affects development.

True but if they're making the $ put into scouting more indicative of a players numbers then the same should be done to medical, it's ridiculous to have a 90 health player get long term injuries in back to back seasons while a 20 health player can go years without a scratch.
But that's how life works.  Jason Kendall was one of the most durable C in baseball until he broke his leg running to first.
I agree with this 100%. Injuries are a crapshoot, because that's how they are in real life.

Personally I think a health rating is silly anyway. What's it supposed to be based on in RL? The guy has great MU and your running a 20/20 Training/Medical but the guy has a 35 health and it never improves?

What is he eating Whoppers 3 times a day and smoking a pack of Camels in the dugout?

5/7/2015 7:05 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 7:00:00 PM (view original):

And truth be told that was the real reason I went to 0 ADV. 
There was no reason for it. I had tried 20 and the projections weren't really all that accurate IMO. 
I could run a formula and get just as close and sometimes closer.

In your scenario, how would you know which half of your projections were valid?
In this hypothetical scenario, with a ADV of 10 I could get decent scouting results for half the players and N/A for the other half.
5/7/2015 7:06 PM
But in Mike's scenario ADV would reflect the accuracy of projections while the amount allocated to HS/COL/INTL would determine how many you see.

So I don't think it could work that way.
5/7/2015 7:08 PM
Here are my predictions about what effect this will have (with the obvious caveat that we don't know exactly how the changes will work yet):

1. IFA budgets will decrease. We'll see a lot fewer people spending $20 million on payroll and $40 million on prospects, since IFAs will be riskier and money will be tighter.

2. Free agency will be more competitive, but the number of huge contracts won't necessarily increase. First because without player history, it will be risky to sign a possibly declining player. Second, because some people will be incentivized to spend more on adv and less on payroll.

3. A slight decrease in tanking. There's less incentive to tank for the #1 pick if the guy might be a bust.

Honestly, I think all three would be good for the game.
5/7/2015 7:09 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 7:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dcbove on 5/7/2015 6:59:00 PM (view original):

Here's the scenario:

---

Everyone declines. It's just a question of how fast from season to season. In real life you don't know this about any player and I think that's fair. In fact with a high MU and a high training budget you can do better than real life in that regard.
You're right.  One hypothetical solution just to illustrate "everyone declines but how fast" would be that with an ADV of 20 I could see last year's ratings and this year's ratings for players over 27.  Then teams with good ADV would know more about a player's decline than a team with ADV of 0 would.

And I was just assuming (!) that the change in ratings would include changes to the decline phase as well as the development phase, but maybe I'm wrong. 
5/7/2015 7:10 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 7:10:00 PM (view original):
Here are my predictions about what effect this will have (with the obvious caveat that we don't know exactly how the changes will work yet):

1. IFA budgets will decrease. We'll see a lot fewer people spending $20 million on payroll and $40 million on prospects, since IFAs will be riskier and money will be tighter.

2. Free agency will be more competitive, but the number of huge contracts won't necessarily increase. First because without player history, it will be risky to sign a possibly declining player. Second, because some people will be incentivized to spend more on adv and less on payroll.

3. A slight decrease in tanking. There's less incentive to tank for the #1 pick if the guy might be a bust.

Honestly, I think all three would be good for the game.
I think it is GREAT. I just worry that if they get too fuzzy, or if there are too many 1st round "busts" then you're going to have lots of owners complaining that their #1 pick was a dud, while a playoff team got a better player.

I don't think that's good for the game at all.

Ultimately it greatly reduces the incentive to tank for that #1 pick, but in a world where there isn't much tanking it could be a bit messy.

5/7/2015 7:16 PM
So here is my thought then. My budget will be 20 million High school, 0 college. 10 for IFA and wait for others to outbid me. Roll the dice in every draft.
5/7/2015 7:19 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/7/2015 7:19:00 PM (view original):
So here is my thought then. My budget will be 20 million High school, 0 college. 10 for IFA and wait for others to outbid me. Roll the dice in every draft.
That's how many currently do HS/COL. Makes no sense to go 10/10. May as well go 20/0. 

In your budget outline you didn't mention ADV though.
5/7/2015 7:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.