Free Agency and Franchise Players Topic

So you have your cornerstone franchise player, annual Cy Young candidate that you have groomed since you traded the farm for him. He burns his minimum salary years, you take him to arbitration once (I know I should have taken him twice but the rules have changed), and then sign him to a maximum 5 year deal. At the end of the deal, he is 31 years old and has been with your BL squad for 10 seasons.

Now, he refuses to re-sign with you and will hit the open market no matter what, a decision that I assume is generated at random by WIS. You'll never get true value in the open market bacause he is a rent-a-player and the best that you can hope for is two draft picks for one of the best players in the World. 

Someone will sign him to a max contrat for max years, a contract that someone else will most likely have to deal with four seasons later when he will be declining rapidly.

Now, I know this makes it more realistic, but it makes the game less enjoyable. Shouldn't there be a better alternative? A sign and trade option? A page out of NFL and have Franchise Players? Knowing a season earlier that he won't sign with you so that you can get more value? is there any way to avoid this in the future?

6/29/2010 5:13 PM
Yes. Trade him before he opts for FA.

Do you follow MLB at all?

Roy Halladay
Johan Santana
CC Fatass-ia
Greg Maddux, for crying out loud!!

...the list goes on.
6/29/2010 5:28 PM
Is JR Beckett the guy? 

If so, it's not "random chance". It's his 44 patience that's driving him to FA.

6/29/2010 5:47 PM
If you really want to keep him, you can offer him a max-value contract. If anyone should pay for past production, should it not be you?
6/29/2010 6:02 PM
Surely you didn't think this would turn out well, did you?

You had him for 10 seasons.   Be glad.   And recognize that the VAST MAJORITY of BL players don't even come close to playing their entire careers with one team.   Think about it.  Ripken, Gwynn and Jeter(and his career isn't over).   Isn't that about it for stars playing their entire career with the same team since the mid 70s?
6/29/2010 6:39 PM
Barry Larkin, dammit!
6/29/2010 7:44 PM
Weird that I always forget him yet I talk him up every time "Best SS you've seen" comes up. 

Looks like Chipper Jones will be added to the list soon.  I also left off a couple of retired Yanks, Bernie and Donnie Baseball, just because I'm not sure they qualify as "stars".
6/29/2010 7:58 PM
Chipper Jones
6/29/2010 7:59 PM
god dmanit
6/29/2010 8:00 PM
George Brett, Frank White
6/29/2010 8:02 PM
Frank White?  GTFO!  I said "stars".
6/29/2010 8:04 PM
Bagwell and Biggio
6/29/2010 8:05 PM
White had 8 gold gloves, 5 All-star games
6/29/2010 8:07 PM (edited)
Frank White?  GTFO!  I said "stars".
6/29/2010 8:12 PM
Kirby Puckett and Edgar Martinez
6/29/2010 8:13 PM
1234 Next ▸
Free Agency and Franchise Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.