How much time do you spend preparing for a draft? Topic

Taking into account downloading ratings, formula building, reviewing, ranking, sorting, etc. etc., how much time do you guys spend on draft preparation all-in?
11/1/2011 4:48 PM

depends how much i spend on scouting

spend 0/0 and it takes like 10-15 secs.

otherwise it really depends how much i care.  if i have a late 1st rounder and a few comp picks and i'm spending like 12/12 or w/e, i'll probably spend 5-10 mins a day every day leading up to the draft.  i start off by ranking all the players roughly and then every time i log back in i'll realize that i have somebody too high or too low.  my rankins are pretty close to perfect (imo) by the time the draft runs.

11/1/2011 4:51 PM
Posted by deanod on 11/1/2011 4:51:00 PM (view original):

otherwise it really depends how much i care.  if i have a late 1st rounder and a few comp picks and i'm spending like 12/12 or w/e, i'll probably spend 5-10 mins a day every day leading up to the draft.  i start off by ranking all the players roughly and then every time i log back in i'll realize that i have somebody too high or too low.  my rankins are pretty close to perfect (imo) by the time the draft runs.

What do you see when you spend 0/0?  That is, how many prospects do you generally see rankings for?
In the world where I run 20 mill in HS/ 0 in College, I see 180-270 prospects a year.  Where I run 20 college, 0 HS, I see 500 pretty much every year.  Based on that, I would expect to see maybe 30 prospects at 0/0... is that the case?
I would think that if you were seeing 200ish prospects still with 0/0, it would be worth the time to sort the prospects based on current ratings to get a quality player, but the 10-15 seconds makes sense if you see almost no one.
11/1/2011 4:56 PM
And to answer the OP's question, I spend 1-2 hours going through prospects ordering my top 50-100, then 10-15 minutes a number of other times before the draft finding players I've missed and moving them up, and going through the list making sure I like the order.
11/1/2011 4:58 PM
30-40 minutes.

Copy/Paste.   Remove the slugs.   Run my formula.  Rank and tweak. 
11/1/2011 5:07 PM
Posted by kcden on 11/1/2011 4:56:00 PM (view original):

What do you see when you spend 0/0?  That is, how many prospects do you generally see rankings for?
In the world where I run 20 mill in HS/ 0 in College, I see 180-270 prospects a year.  Where I run 20 college, 0 HS, I see 500 pretty much every year.  Based on that, I would expect to see maybe 30 prospects at 0/0... is that the case?
I would think that if you were seeing 200ish prospects still with 0/0, it would be worth the time to sort the prospects based on current ratings to get a quality player, but the 10-15 seconds makes sense if you see almost no one.
You still see a couple hundred prospects, but you know that they're projected ratings are not even close.  Doesn't make much sense to rank based on inaccurate ratings.
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/1/2011 5:07:00 PM (view original):
30-40 minutes.

Copy/Paste.   Remove the slugs.   Run my formula.  Rank and tweak. 
"Rank and tweak."  Sounds like it hurts.
0/0 scouted 46 prospects, 6 that went in the first/comp round in the draft.

it's actually not the worst thing in the world, with a little bit of luck you can find somebody pretty decent wrt their slot.  you normally get **** and you never get options, but i don't mind it at all since i never cared much for the draft anyway.
11/1/2011 5:13 PM
Posted by mhulshult on 11/1/2011 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kcden on 11/1/2011 4:56:00 PM (view original):

You still see a couple hundred prospects, but you know that they're projected ratings are not even close.  Doesn't make much sense to rank based on inaccurate ratings.
so you rank based on current ratings, not the worst deal in the world.

really the lack of prospects scouted is by far the greater issue.
11/1/2011 5:16 PM
I usually spen Dan hour or so.m last year I didn't have a pick at all unit
The late 50s and honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. And you can tell
11/1/2011 11:06 PM
Posted by hatfieldms on 11/1/2011 11:06:00 PM (view original):
I usually spen Dan hour or so.m last year I didn't have a pick at all unit
The late 50s and honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. And you can tell
This was sent from my iPhone.
11/2/2011 9:14 AM
Posted by kcden on 11/1/2011 4:58:00 PM (view original):
And to answer the OP's question, I spend 1-2 hours going through prospects ordering my top 50-100, then 10-15 minutes a number of other times before the draft finding players I've missed and moving them up, and going through the list making sure I like the order.
That's pretty much exactly how I do it, but maybe only an hour or so on the front end. I rank catchers on PC first, then high-glove players, then hitters based on a couple of favored categories and then pitchers on a couple of favored categories. I always rank certain types of players in the same numerical zone (high power/eye 1B/DH types go in the 80s, for example), and then I go down the list to about 120, weeding out non-prospects or players that won't sign. Then I go through and tweak the top 20-40 a couple of times leading up to the draft.
11/2/2011 9:18 AM
Maybe an average of about 30 min per draft.

I have a general idea about what is important to me...pitching pitching pitching.  I then use formula builder to create a prospect list that meet my general ideas.  Then I browse for anomalies.  Decently rated guys with unacceptable ratings in any one spot (control, contact, health, etc) and I punt them to the end of the list.  Otherwise crappy rated guys with outstanding single ratings in a useful category get punted up in the list.  I keep an eye on those guys that I don't like but I know have numbers (or are overly rated IMO) that others will trade for get listed accordingly too, even though I know I will never use them other than trade bait.  I keep an eye out for positions that are rare, such as decent catchers that can play everyday and/or middle of the road splits pitchers with pitches to make up for it.

Then I grab the seat of my pants and pray.

11/4/2011 1:00 PM (edited)
If you don't have a lot of time you can really make your draft work by removing every pitcher in your top 100 with splits and control lower than 40-45, and then ranking the best players through your first pick.  After that put 4-6 players like catchers, 1B's, and relievers in your next slot after that and chances are you will get one of them with your next pick.  If you have supplemental picks though, then you really need to spend an hour getting it right.
11/2/2011 3:29 PM
I agree with the earlier post where I will spend about 45 minute to an hour at the beginning getting things generally in the order I want and then 10-15 minutes each day going over it again and tweaking.  That first day I just look at the pitchers and get them in the order I want, then look at the position players.  I usually spend the next few days tweaking players within those rankings - ie. while Joe Smo maybe the 15th best pitcher on my board I may want him above the 12th best position player, not below him. I also spend those next couple of days weeding out players that may not sign, etc.
11/2/2011 4:23 PM
12 Next ▸
How much time do you spend preparing for a draft? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.