What's your take on Managerial Settings? Topic

Quoted from the help manual.

"There are positives and negatives associated with every tendency. Users are recommended to choose the brand of baseball they most believe in and stick to it. Changing managerial settings often is not recommended as consistency fosters player development."

These two sentences have made me increasingly paranoid when it comes to Managerial Settings.  I feel pretty comfortable with my understanding of the individual settings listed on that page.  Most of the categories are pretty self-explanatory and the more complicated ones have been discussed on these forums.  What I have not seen discussed is the validity of the quoted statements above.

Have you noticed stunted player development when frequently changing your settings?  Is there any proof to substantiate that "sticking to your brand of baseball" has any impact whatsoever on player development?  I ask these questions because I see a real need to adjust some of those settings on a pretty regular basis.  For example, if I have a lineup of average to above average speed/baserunning players, I may want to dial a few settings up a notch or two if my opponent is starting a catcher with a weak and/or inaccurate arm.  Or I may want to do the opposite if he has an accurate cannon for an arm.  If I notice that the opposition's outfield is loaded with "super arms", it may be a good idea to be a little more conservative with the baserunning aggressiveness.  You get the point.  People are going to tinker with their settings.  But should they?

Is it possible that the only setting you should never change is your argumentative nature?  Is that the specific setting that the help page was talking about?  Or is it all just mumbo jumbo?

I'm tired of feeling paranoid every time I want to adjust a Managerial setting.  Your insights are appreciated.
11/24/2012 7:29 PM
Wow! I have never read that or heard about it before. And that applies at each level? I never change the minors, but I also rarely check it.
11/24/2012 8:29 PM
I would have to assume it applies to every level.
11/24/2012 9:52 PM
Considering WIS's credibility on such matters, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If it has any impact at all, I'll assume by "often" it means dozens of times a season or more. Still, I probably don't change MiL setting more than once or twice a season.
11/25/2012 11:53 AM
My vote is for "just mumbo jumbo" designed to give "flavor" to the description.

I think its impact on development is likely right between hometown and facial hair.
11/26/2012 3:40 PM
Yep.  Paranoid now.  Good catch selvendar. 
11/26/2012 4:08 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 11/26/2012 3:40:00 PM (view original):
My vote is for "just mumbo jumbo" designed to give "flavor" to the description.

I think its impact on development is likely right between hometown and facial hair.
I hope you're right.  Since there's a chance we'll never get an answer from the people in the know, I'll continue to be a little more paranoid than usual. 
11/26/2012 10:24 PM
It would seem that most players at the ML level should already be developed for the most part. I change settings on base running aggressiveness and base stealing depending on the opposing team's catchers and hit and run depending on opposing teams defense level. That means I'm tweaking just about every series. As far as the MiL levels I adjust the managerial settings depending on what my roster looks like. I seldom change MiL settings simply due to a time factor (not enough WIS hours in a day) not because WIS says not to.
12/17/2012 9:56 AM
But they can "un" develop too.

Anyway, I usually set my stuff for the season based on the type of team I have.  Sometimes I tinker in the playoffs though to gain an edge.

12/18/2012 4:41 PM
What's your take on Managerial Settings? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.