Free Agent Resign Question Topic

Elite pitcher  in question is 32, and declined slightly this offseason from the end of last year.

Last year, he said he wanted to test FA.

This year, it says his priority is "making the playoffs" and wants 3 years 8 million.  

Do you think he would actually resign for this, and how much should i factor in that he wouldn't sign last year?  what would you offer?
1/9/2013 9:42 PM
Messages from FA are completely unreliable until after budgets are set; it's kind of a bug.  On the other hand, if you can make the offer he wants right now-- if the budgets are set and the signing period is open-- he will sign for what he wants.  Players will always sign for their (actual, not bug) demands.

What he wanted last year plays no role.
1/10/2013 11:43 AM (edited)
i've had it happen before where a player you are trying to resign gets exactly what he asks for, and turns it down.  has anyone else had that?
1/13/2013 10:38 PM
Posted by david575 on 1/13/2013 10:38:00 PM (view original):
i've had it happen before where a player you are trying to resign gets exactly what he asks for, and turns it down.  has anyone else had that?
Only as a rounding error on a 3 year contract that could be corrected by adding one dollar.

Unless you're talking about the open signing period, in which case he will sometimes "accept" it but not sign, waiting to see if he can get more money.
1/14/2013 12:30 PM
What they say from the time budgets are set & FA starts can't be trusted.  Go by what they said at the end of the previous season. If the season starts and they're saying "I'll play for whoever shows me the money" that seems to mean they are going to test FA, even if you match their offer. I've had it happen more than once. Never had a FA with that statement accept an offer.
1/14/2013 2:51 PM
The only time I've seen this is when a guy says something like " Unless you blow me away with a great offer I'm testing free agency". In this instance he will reject an offer that is exactly what his "demands" are.

Posted by david575 on 1/9/2013 9:42:00 PM (view original):
Elite pitcher  in question is 32, and declined slightly this offseason from the end of last year.

Last year, he said he wanted to test FA.

This year, it says his priority is "making the playoffs" and wants 3 years 8 million.  

Do you think he would actually resign for this, and how much should i factor in that he wouldn't sign last year?  what would you offer?
I am pretty sure that in the case you refer to here, the guy will sign for 8M X 3.

1/14/2013 6:24 PM (edited)
ok...so we are now almost to the last cycle, and he rejected 5 years 84 million with a player option and a no trade clause.

Message went from " i just want to be in the playoffs" to "i want to have enough to buy an island when i retire" to " you should have signed me when you had the chance"

Annoyed. Screws up my planning
1/15/2013 7:06 PM
He is saying you should have re-signed him last season, before rollover.

If you offered him 84M over 5 seasons (what's that like just under 17M per season?) and he rejected THAT, then he's probably not interested in re-signing at all.

Plan B time IMO.

1/15/2013 7:15 PM
he wouldn't sign last year....this is kind of what i was nervous about when in the offseason i was looking at a very pretty 3 year, 8 mil per contract.  this sucks
1/15/2013 9:30 PM
Free Agent Resign Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.