Do the base coaches BR rating influence performance in-game, or just development?
2/5/2013 1:03 PM
Just development.  In-game is all about the player ratings.
2/5/2013 1:28 PM
Is there proof of this?  Just doesn't make sense to me that WiFS would not program in-game as well, I mean it's a sim right, and base coaches are typically out on the field of play directing base runners.
2/6/2013 11:21 AM
Posted by rangerup on 2/6/2013 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Is there proof of this?  Just doesn't make sense to me that WiFS would not program in-game as well, I mean it's a sim right, and base coaches are typically out on the field of play directing base runners.

From the Player's Guide:

"Building a strong coaching staff is essential in HBD. The coaching staff plays a significant role in player development.

At the big league level, you'll need a bench coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, 1B & 3B coach. The 1B & 3B coaches contribute to the development of players' basestealing and baserunning. The hitting coach, with a little help from the 1B & 3B coach, contributes to the development of all hitting ratings. The pitching coach, with some help from the bullpen coach, contributes to the development of pitcher ratings. The bench coach takes over as manager after any managerial ejection.

At the minor league levels, only hitting, pitching and bench coaches are needed. The bench coach plays a role in all rating developments. The hitting coach focuses on hitting and baserunning ratings and the pitching coach impacts pitching ratings.

A franchise must also hire a fielding instructor that roves the system. He impacts a player's fielding ratings.

Coaches improve with age. And their demands for role, level and money also increase with age."

It's all about development.  Nothing about in-game performance.

2/6/2013 11:34 AM
Tec, I think you are entirely right...concerning the reporting of what WIS states.  But if you look at their wording, it says "the coaching staff plays a significant role in player development," NOT "only in player development."  This makes no statement whatsoever about in-game performance, leaving it to pure speculation (as we are performing here) whether or not the absence of any other statement was oversight or a testament to BR's lack of impact in-game.

That said, I am certain BR-coaching affects in-game performance.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
2/6/2013 3:25 PM
That seems like a bizarre interpretation and application of what was said, but whatever works for you . . . 
2/6/2013 5:42 PM
I'm familiar with the quote from the Player's Guide and I too have been under the perception it only affects development. It seems a little silly though, as most MLers are done developing or close to done by the time they reach the level this specialized coaching kicks in - and yes, I realize that for one development cycle in ST each year, prospects get that bump. Base coaches therefore seem extraordinarily inefficient to me then if that's the case.

Until I read this quote from the FAQ about coaches -

"Bench coaches don't just have an impact when they take over for the manager (i.e. you). They impact all of the ratings and performance of the players.

The main ratings that the bench coach has an effect on for position players are hitting, pitch calling, and base-running. For pitchers at the minor league level they take over (to a lesser extent) the bullpen coaches role.

At the minor league level bench coaches play a role in all facets of player development. That is why they are one of the most desired and highly compensated components of your coaching staff."

How you interpret "ratings and performance" and "effect" in these quotes is my question then...as in "ratings and thus performance" or "ratings and performance."
2/6/2013 8:42 PM
Why don't you submit a ticket and ask WIS? They seem to like to be vague. And it's possible that since the developers of HBD are no longer associated with WIS that nobody at WIS really knows. I'd hope they'd give a straight answer to something as direct as  - Do coaches impact what happens in a game at all, or do they only impact player development?
2/6/2013 8:49 PM
Posted by dwboyce on 2/6/2013 8:42:00 PM (view original):
I'm familiar with the quote from the Player's Guide and I too have been under the perception it only affects development. It seems a little silly though, as most MLers are done developing or close to done by the time they reach the level this specialized coaching kicks in - and yes, I realize that for one development cycle in ST each year, prospects get that bump. Base coaches therefore seem extraordinarily inefficient to me then if that's the case.

Until I read this quote from the FAQ about coaches -

"Bench coaches don't just have an impact when they take over for the manager (i.e. you). They impact all of the ratings and performance of the players.

The main ratings that the bench coach has an effect on for position players are hitting, pitch calling, and base-running. For pitchers at the minor league level they take over (to a lesser extent) the bullpen coaches role.

At the minor league level bench coaches play a role in all facets of player development. That is why they are one of the most desired and highly compensated components of your coaching staff."

How you interpret "ratings and performance" and "effect" in these quotes is my question then...as in "ratings and thus performance" or "ratings and performance."
Performance is a by-product of ratings.  Better development of ratings = better performance from the player.

"Effect" --> effect on the development of ratings.

I'll admit that the information that WIS supplies is often vague and sometime open to interpretation.  My interpretation is that coaches are for development only, since most/all of the information very definitively refers to development and only vaguely makes unspecific references to performance.
2/6/2013 9:52 PM
The oddest thing for me about that quote was the specific mention of pitch calling, which seems like an insignificant rating to call out - except in the context of in-game performance, where it really comes to bear. Which then made me question the "why" of base coaches, unless of course they also had some bearing in the game performance.
2/6/2013 10:08 PM
Development of pitch calling.

I should also point out that "development" should really be read as "development and maintaining" of ratings.  As you pointed out, most MLers are done or close to done developing by the time they reach the big leagues.  But good coaches help them to maintain their fully developed ratings.  Bad coaches can result in a regression of ratings.
2/6/2013 10:17 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.