Can this guy be a starting pitcher? Topic

64stamina  93accuracy  80/90 L/R splits 31velocity  22 durability?
2/20/2013 3:53 PM
Yes.
2/20/2013 4:07 PM
Very much so. Wouldn't be an innings eater, but he's definitely able to start.
2/20/2013 4:09 PM
Yes, but all else equal it's less than optimal use. 

He'll manage about 150 IP as an SP.  If he is an SuA, he'll pitch 120 innings of much higher leverage; he'll have a greater impact on wins and losses pitching the 7th and 8th of 60 close game a year than the 1st-5th of 30 random games. 

That said, if you don't have 5 competent starters and/or you have a deep bullpen, it could be right to use him as a starter.

2/20/2013 9:11 PM
Disagree 100%.

I want 150 innings from my best pitcher not 120.    I present Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Arthur Relaford as exhibit A.

I'm CHR, dedel is OAK.
2/20/2013 9:54 PM
I was wrong to use Relaford the way I did-- but Relaford's DUR/ST is 16/84, not 22/64.  He can pitch more innings as a starter without in-game fatigue than the 22/64 guy can.  Not a good comparison.
2/20/2013 10:49 PM
22/64 with those numbers? I bet you get AT LEAST 180 innings out of that stud.
2/20/2013 11:15 PM
Even without pitches entered, I'm getting 170 IP as a starter in my formula.
2/20/2013 11:31 PM
I know that my post in off-track, but it is funny that velocity is listed, but not pitches.
2/21/2013 6:51 AM
Getting back on track, I agree with Mike, it's better to get more innings out of your better pitchers, rather than worrying about "leverage".  At around the 45 game mark, I converted Felipe Lee into a starter, and with 60 games still remaining in the season, he has now surpassed his career high in IP.  I figure with his 53 stamina, he should be good for 140-150 IP per season
2/21/2013 7:01 AM
Posted by dedelman on 2/20/2013 10:49:00 PM (view original):
I was wrong to use Relaford the way I did-- but Relaford's DUR/ST is 16/84, not 22/64.  He can pitch more innings as a starter without in-game fatigue than the 22/64 guy can.  Not a good comparison.
I look at it this way.  I have approximately 1458 innings to cover.     I can have my best pitchers pitch as many as possible or I can worry about who's pitching in the 7th inning.    It seems crazy that I'd want my 15/50 DUR/STM combo absolute ace pitching 100 innings as a RP rather than him pitching 135 as a SP.   If I have a great pitcher who can throw 50 pitches a game without wrecking the rest of my staff, he's a starter.   He may never see the 5th inning.  He may finish the season 0-6 because of that.   But, if he has a WHIP of 1.02 and an ERA of 2.78, he'll get over not getting a win.    And I'll be happy that he gave me almost 4 extra games of innings. 
2/21/2013 7:11 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Andres Castilla and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Will Mahoney will be part of my rotation in a couple of seasons.   Castilla will likely be 26/46 and Mahoney 19/55.   Both will be set at 50-60 PC(more or less) and neither will likely see the 5th inning.  They'll join Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jimmy Powell and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kyle Anderson.   I'll probably add a high inning 5th starter and build my bullpen so it can handle the work Castilla and Mahoney will put on them.

Not getting the max innings from Castilla/Mahoney seems amateurish HBD play.
2/21/2013 7:53 AM
I have a 15/72 guy on one of my teams.  He arguably has the best ratings of all my SP types on that team.

I don't have him in the rotation, but what I will do is tandem-B him whenever he's at 100% with whoever my regular starter is for that day.  I'll also decrease the TPC/MPC for the A starter to try to ensure that my B guy gets his maximum innings, both for the game and, long term, for the season.

One of the side benefits of doing this is that my A starter won't get as fatigued and may be able to come back and pitch a day earlier than usual if he's a front of the rotation guy.  If he's a back of the rotation guy, then I'm minimizing his innings.

As Mike said, not getting the maximum innings out of your best pitchers is doing yourself a disservice.
2/21/2013 8:12 AM
It's all about how you build your staff.   As evidenced by my 7:53 post, I know I have two low inning SP on the horizon.    I planned on that by trading for Anderson(26/99) who'll be a workhorse.   Providing nothing changes over the next couple of seasons, Powell will be my SP1 with either Mahoney or Castilla at 2 and Anderson, saving the bullpen after a heavy workload from the previous day, at 3.    Then the SP4 is whichever guy wasn't the SP2.  I expect, at some point, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ivan Bonilla, another big innings guy, to round out my rotation.   He was signed a month ago with that expectation.

This isn't rocket science.   You can project your future team pretty easily and make moves to correct weaknesses. 
2/21/2013 8:33 AM
Given all this... I have a 19 yr old 19/56 prospect who projects to be this type of starter.  Should I be doing anything special to maximize his development, or is a regular turn in the rotation good enough?

2/21/2013 8:39 AM
12 Next ▸
Can this guy be a starting pitcher? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.