Why is this guy declining? Topic

<a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3501959" target="_blank">George Fultz</a>

$20M in training, good makeup.

The only thing that I did differently with him last season is that I moved him to SS and switched his primary position to SS from 2B (we don't need to debate the merits of that decision - he did fine). But is there any reason that would affect his ratings? I wouldn't think so, but I just can't think of any other reason he would decline in range and dur.
2/21/2013 11:23 AM
No apparent reason.
2/21/2013 11:38 AM
OK. I guess I've never really cared enough to notice, but is this kind of random decline common?

I thought declines were strongly correlated to makeup and training.
2/21/2013 11:42 AM
No, I've not seen it from a 28 y/o with 20m in training.   My first reaction is injury.   But, unless it happened with a dozen games left, that's not it as he played in 149.   
2/21/2013 11:50 AM
Yeah, no injury. He played all through the playoffs. I guess maybe he got hurt in the final game of the series and I never noticed or got a message about it, but that would seem really odd to me.

I'll send a ticket and update here.
2/21/2013 11:57 AM
More of that would make the game better but only if it doesn't happen to my players.

Varying improvement/decline is something many have asked for but, as I said, it sucks when it's you.  Say you signed that guy to a 5 year deal at the end of last season because you "knew" he wouldn't really hit the wall until 32 or so.  Now, at 28, you're looking at range declines of 2-6 each season.  Ugh, he's a poor LF at 32.
2/21/2013 12:23 PM
What kind of fielding coach did you have?  A poor one could cause a drop in range fairly easily.
2/21/2013 12:32 PM
Range is a physical attribute, developed and maintained by training.  Fielding instructors have no impact on range.
2/21/2013 12:35 PM
I've seen this at 28 (but not younger) with $20M training, though not this bad (2 points each of range and durability).  I think this is just the far end of the spectrum of random variation.
2/21/2013 12:35 PM
Well that sucks, because however mediocre he was at SS (1+/2-), he is bound to be worse now.

For what it's worth, my FI coach was 79. Not good, not terrible. But as tec said, I don't think that affects range, and it certainly doesn't affect dur.

And I could be wrong, but does a coach affect a player's decline, or just his development?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Maybe it was random variation.
2/21/2013 12:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/21/2013 12:23:00 PM (view original):
More of that would make the game better but only if it doesn't happen to my players.

Varying improvement/decline is something many have asked for but, as I said, it sucks when it's you.  Say you signed that guy to a 5 year deal at the end of last season because you "knew" he wouldn't really hit the wall until 32 or so.  Now, at 28, you're looking at range declines of 2-6 each season.  Ugh, he's a poor LF at 32.
I'd actually be ok with it if we got random 2 point bumps at age 28, too. But I never see that, either.
2/21/2013 12:40 PM
Posted by isack24 on 2/21/2013 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Well that sucks, because however mediocre he was at SS (1+/2-), he is bound to be worse now.

For what it's worth, my FI coach was 79. Not good, not terrible. But as tec said, I don't think that affects range, and it certainly doesn't affect dur.

And I could be wrong, but does a coach affect a player's decline, or just his development?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Maybe it was random variation.
For veterans, who are already fully developed, good coaches will help maintain ratings.  Poor coaches may cause some ratings regression (different from decline due to age).
2/21/2013 12:47 PM
Here's what I got:

Hi Isaac,

Every player has a peak age and some player's decline in ratings faster than others. Unfortunately, it look like this player is past his peak and is starting to decline.
2/21/2013 4:54 PM
Not what you wanted to hear. Ask if he gets a 2nd peak later.
2/21/2013 4:58 PM

I was sure that's what you'd get.    I bet there are so few examples that there's an unknown glitch.

2/21/2013 5:08 PM
123 Next ▸
Why is this guy declining? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.