developing prospects in the playoffs? Topic

Hi,

Does anyone bring their prospects up once AAA season ends to get the most training? I assume after the 4th year you calculate how much service time + the 20 games in order to call them up much later then normal for their first real ML season and still claiming 0 ML service time come the following spring.

Or does this idea not work? Please confirm.

I guess what I'm saying is

Joe Prospect plays in 30 ML games season 1 during Roster Xpansion
He plays in 30 ML games in season 2 during Roster expansion
He plays 30 ML games in season 3 during Roster expansion
He plays 30 ML games in season 4 during Roster expansion
Season 5 Joe prospect plays 120+20 AAA games then is promoted for the rest of the ML year of season 5.
Season 6, Joe prospect still has 0 ML service time, and has more training than a normal prospect.

I'm asking because I don't understand exactly how long players develop for. I just know it's about 4 to 4.5 season according to player cards. I assume the Make Up ranking may affect how long he develops for. But I don't know if it's an finite # of games in which case my plan above has no relevance. If total length of training is based completley on age or time, cramming in an extra 120 games or so is almost an extra season of fleshing a max overall out. Anyone have a clue to all of these questions I've just asked?
3/2/2013 3:08 AM
So..

Does anyone play prospects during roster expansion and playoffs? Why or why not? 

3/4/2013 2:23 AM
Not sure I have anybody I would want to play everyday in the ML that soon even for 30 games
3/4/2013 7:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that no experienced owner in their right mind would even consider doing something like this.

The fallacy with this scenario is that Joe Prospect has burned through his three option seasons after season 3, and would have to clear waivers to go back to the minors.  If he's any good (and he would need to be VERY good to want to play him in the majors at all during his first season), he's going to get claimed.

If you want your prospects to get maximum playing time, surround them with other good prospects and tend to your minors to try to make the minor league playoffs every season.  Once they get added to the 40-man roster out of necessity (after 4 pro seasons), then you can do the above for up to three seasons.  But then, if he's any good, he should probably stick with the major league roster by season 4 or 5.

3/4/2013 8:02 AM
The positive sides of extra potential development in the first couple years is, IMO, drastically outweighed by losing that player for those amount of games in the first season that you really call them up.
3/4/2013 8:53 AM
not sure if i got the answer I was looking for.

I'm describing future type-A pros that you would never demote. If you could get an extra 1 point to your splits each year are you guys saying you'd rather have 76 74 splits instead of 80 78? What about a few extra points to range and glove? I'm not asking a baseball question I'm asking an online game theorycraft question.

If you can boost your prospect' rankings by 5-10% over the length of his training I would say it's worth promoting for xpanded and playoffs. The only thing I dont know is if training is capped so promoting wouldnt matter. I.e. 15 overal pts over 4 seasons or 3.5 seasons remains the same. For example I've had some decent prospects stop developing in year 2 or 3, so it makes me believe potential is capped so cramming in more in less time would have no added affect. Anyways, maybe I'll play a test team and my own conclusions.
3/4/2013 11:57 PM
Posted by mezirah on 3/4/2013 11:57:00 PM (view original):

I'm describing future type-A pros that you would never demote. If you could get an extra 1 point to your splits each year are you guys saying you'd rather have 76 74 splits instead of 80 78? What about a few extra points to range and glove? I'm not asking a baseball question I'm asking an online game theorycraft question.

If you can boost your prospect' rankings by 5-10% over the length of his training I would say it's worth promoting for xpanded and playoffs. The only thing I dont know is if training is capped so promoting wouldnt matter. I.e. 15 overal pts over 4 seasons or 3.5 seasons remains the same. For example I've had some decent prospects stop developing in year 2 or 3, so it makes me believe potential is capped so cramming in more in less time would have no added affect. Anyways, maybe I'll play a test team and my own conclusions.
You're contradicting yourself here with your original post.

You're saying you would never demote the guy, but the premise of your scenario is a cycle of promotions and demotions around roster expansion time.

You're referring to "potential is capped".  That is true.  Every player has a true projection that they theoretically cannot exceed (but are also not guaranteed to meet).  That does not correspond directly to the projections that you see through your advanced scouting, which is a "fuzzy" view of their true projections.  The lower your advanced scouting, the fuzzier your projections will be (either too high or too low).  Even at the max of $20m for AS, there is still some fuzz.
3/5/2013 8:51 AM
Posted by mezirah on 3/4/2013 11:57:00 PM (view original):

If you already are convinced, why don't you try it?
3/5/2013 9:37 AM
tec thanks for your reply. I would only consider maxxing out guys who have the projections that  will never get met. And I think I will try this but probably with a junk team first. You bring up a good point that I can only demote 3x, so I would have to sneak  the guy through during playoffs the last year with a revokable waive. Worst case the prospect stays on the ML team season 4 and I dont get a free 5th season at 0 service time. I'm now worried about demoting hits though.
3/5/2013 10:57 PM
There's no harm in burning options if you think it will work.  It might.  But you can only do it three times without waivers.  If you're OK with getting "stuck" with revocables, give it a shot with a couple of players.   If you demote after the regular season ends, you won't get demotion hits.

I did what you describe with Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Ryu because I wanted him on my playoff roster is S25/S26(he finally got the "real" call-up this season).    No damage was done.   I'm not sure the extra 300 AB(counting playoffs) helped but it didn't hurt.  And he got a ring.
3/6/2013 12:51 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5365600

This is all about this stud short stop prospect I got. I really want him to fulfill his potential and develop into a SS. So in my mind I want the most play time possible for the fielding instructor to work his magic.

Okay Mike, thanks for the info. Tec makes good points to buff my prospect's minor league team and try to take it into the minor league playoffs for more playtime. If they don't make it I think I will do what Mike did and promote and play him in ML during expanded playoffs, then demote him once I get knocked out.

Thanks guys

3/6/2013 10:15 PM
Ryu was only on my playoff team because his bat was good enough to help.  He got 72 AB, hit 6 homers, had 16 RBI and slugged .542.   I wasn't doing it for development purposes.  
3/7/2013 9:01 AM
wow mez, that dude is a stud.  Especially so if his defense improves enough to be a SS.  As a 3B he is still pretty decent though.  And he is only 20.  Its worth trying, but likely by the time he is 22 he will be more then good enough to stay in the bigs.  I hope this works out for you, and obviously am very interested for my own purposes too.  But Im guessing that what TEC said is probably your safest route, surround this dude with good talent (even if they are older) to insure this guy gets playoff experience in the minors.
3/7/2013 1:55 PM
cue the nerve irritation during the first expansion to ruin the experiment.
3/7/2013 8:10 PM
developing prospects in the playoffs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.