Option this player? Topic

I have an interesting situation for your pro owners, maybe you can give me some good advice.

I just made a move for this guy;
http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4110877

The previous owner has already signed him to a 4-year deal. My gut wants to option him to AAA for a good chunk of this season to keep him under 6 ML service years played by the time this contract expires. I really don't want to lose him to Free Agency when his contract is up.

This season I still consider myself rebuilding as I did not sign any Type-A's because I didn't want to lose my 20th pick. I have 4 rental starters I signed to 1-year deals in my rotation and I will not be winning the WS.  I would like however to try and compete next season in S27. I can afford to demote Dwight for awhile. I'm just worried about demotion hits. If I option a player is there danger of demotion? Also is my math correct that If I option him, I can keep him under control in season 30?

I need some help!

Thanks

3/9/2013 11:15 AM
That guy should be playing in the majors.

If you demote him to the minors for the sole purpose of manipulating service time, that's flat out tanking.  Maybe that's condoned in Koufax, but would not be in many other worlds.
3/9/2013 11:46 AM
i'm not trying to get a better draft pick, or lose more. baseball is business, what i'm suggesting is control over the player. If dwight neil was a real person, it wouldn't happen obviously.
3/9/2013 1:54 PM
I would think winning is the most important and if he's one of your best 25 then he should be playing. Fake player or not. 
3/9/2013 2:06 PM
He's already got 3.043 years of ML service.  So you would need to keep him in the minors for the rest of this season and at least a quarter of next season as well to do what you are trying to achieve.

If he's one of your current best 25 in your organization, and you're banishing him to the minors for manipulation purposes after he's put up a .836 OPS in nearly 1700 major league plate appearances, you're tanking.  No matter what reasons you believe you have to justify this.
3/9/2013 2:39 PM
I would have to believe that a demotion at prime age 26, with a 6 million contract in the minors, and a 45 patience rating plus an end of season/start of season in AAA would HAVE to result in ratings hits.

3/9/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/9/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
He's already got 3.043 years of ML service.  So you would need to keep him in the minors for the rest of this season and at least a quarter of next season as well to do what you are trying to achieve.

If he's one of your current best 25 in your organization, and you're banishing him to the minors for manipulation purposes after he's put up a .836 OPS in nearly 1700 major league plate appearances, you're tanking.  No matter what reasons you believe you have to justify this.
Okay well thats what I needed to know. I only thought I had to demote him for like 30-40 games.

Thanks

3/9/2013 4:27 PM
No way should he be playing at SS.  That could even be considered tanking in some worlds.
3/9/2013 8:46 PM
Looks like he's been playing 2B since mezirah acquired him.
3/9/2013 8:57 PM
Option this player? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.