Released Player Question Topic

If I claim a player who was released outright and they still have 2 years left on their contract after this season, do I have to pay the salary for the additional years or does the original team?

Also, if he clears the waiver wire and I sign him as a FA, I'm only responsible for what I sign him for correct?
3/12/2013 5:23 PM
From the help section:

"Released Versus Waived - If a player has been waived and you are awarded the claim, then you are responsible for a prorated amount of his full salary for the current season and the full amount of all subsequent years under his current contract. If the player was released, then you are only responsible for a prorated amount of the league minimum for the current season and the league minimum for all subsequent seasons under his current contract."
3/12/2013 5:58 PM

Hm, does that mean if he has years left on his contract, at anything over the league minimum, you could actually save money by claiming him rather than waiting to sign him as an FA?  Because if you signed him off the street, you'd be responsible for negotiating any additional years, right?

3/12/2013 7:06 PM
No.  If he's in the FA pool after being released, and has additional years on his contract, you're only going to be paying him the league minimum for the remainder of his contract.
3/12/2013 8:12 PM
The dumbest thing to do in HBD is release a player making more than the minimum.   You're responsible for the entire contract, for every season, sans the pro-rated league minimum.
3/13/2013 8:32 AM
Is that dumber than holding back your ace starter from Game 7 of the LCS so that he can pitch in Game 1 of the World Series, and then losing the LCS with an inferior starter (i.e. "pulling a Crump")?
3/13/2013 9:16 AM
In the grand scheme of things, I think so.
3/13/2013 9:19 AM
I thought the consensus was that this was to be called, "Crumping the bed"
3/13/2013 10:42 AM
My first year, I signed a minor league free agent to a horrible contract, 3 years at 3.6 million per.  He's terrible and just taking up money and an extra roster space.  Our season is almost done, and I have a bunch of money I didn't use (via prospect payroll and player payroll).  If I release him, can the money for his subsequent years come out of my player payroll this year, thus freeing up space for the subsequent seasons?  Is the release a buyout?

Or will this guy be stuck on my payroll for next year no matter what?
3/23/2013 11:50 AM
Stuck on your payroll.  No matter what.  And money doesn't roll over, you'll pay the 3.6 million every season.  I have been in the same position, I suspect many others have too.  Sometimes you give away a bad contract.

Don't release him, waive him and see if someone else takes him off your hands.  If he's as bad as you say, it's not likely, so use him in your minors to make some ML team better - he's probably a decent player in the minors - but don't let him block the way of a prospect.

3/23/2013 11:57 AM
I know money doesn't rollover, i was hoping that releasing a player with years on his contract could act as a buyout if you have a surplus of money.  Crap.
3/23/2013 12:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2013 8:32:00 AM (view original):
The dumbest thing to do in HBD is release a player making more than the minimum.   You're responsible for the entire contract, for every season, sans the pro-rated league minimum.
This right here.  "Dumbest" wouldn't be my choice of words, but why spend money on nothing at all?  At least if you stash him in the minors, you still get some value for what you're paying.
3/23/2013 12:39 PM
Do major league teams release players with contracts paid

3/23/2013 7:08 PM
Yes, all the time.  But they're not constrained by a salary cap.
3/23/2013 8:21 PM
Instead of the Marlins letting Ozzie go, he could have coached in the minors.
3/23/2013 9:48 PM
123 Next ▸
Released Player Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.