Indecisive owner re: roster decisions Topic

It's me.  I'm the indecisive owner.  I've had some turnover in my pitching staff from last season's 99 win team.  I'm running a thick budget, so I need to fill up the back of my rotation and the end of my bullpen with homegrown talent, despite the fact that a string of successful seasons means I haven't had better than a 26th overall pick in a while.  I have four pitchers, three of whom will end up on my ML roster.  Furthermore, I have some doubts about who my fifth starter should be.

First of all, the relievers...I'm debating whether to call up:

Jason Leonard

or

Charlie Purcell

Second of all, I'm waffling on who deserves to be an LRB and who deserves to be SP5:

youngster Ted Cook

or 

veteran black Irishman Roscoe O'Connor

I'm tempted to let the fans decide.  My temptation is to bring cook up, no matter what, since I think he's the best of the three minor-leaguers.  So the question is really whether he ought to be a back end starter or a long reliever.  Between Leonard and Purcell, the question is whether Purcell's control is sufficient compensation for his average splits and lackluster pitches.

4/8/2013 5:47 PM
geez, all lefties? They all look like bullpen inning eaters to me.

But I like the Irishman the best, by far!
4/8/2013 5:50 PM
None are anything special, but I'd prefer Purcell and start O'Connor.
4/8/2013 6:48 PM
Posted by mongoose_22 on 4/8/2013 6:48:00 PM (view original):
None are anything special, but I'd prefer Purcell and start O'Connor.
+1
4/8/2013 10:06 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, fellas.  I'll take you up on them.

But one last thing, you're really not enamored with Ted Cook?  Have you seen his progression?  His control stinks, but he's going to end up with splits around 80, as well as three (and maybe four!) 70+ pitches.  I've managed to convince myself that he's bound to be an SP2/SP3 once his development finishes.
4/10/2013 12:42 PM
Depends on the progression of his splits.  With low 70s splits and 50 control, he's certainly a major leaguer, but not a top-of-the-rotation kind of guy.  I've had success with this guy.

4/10/2013 1:05 PM
I think you're reaching a bit. From what I see, Cook will end up with spits in the high 70's; 1P around 80ish; 2P and 4P in the 75ish range and the 3P in the high 60's, maybe 70. He's a nice little piece I'd like to have in the pen, but I don't think I'd want him as my SP2/SP3.
4/10/2013 1:11 PM
Cook may push 60 in control and should get at least to 55+. I also think his splits should reach 80, and 4 70+pitches is attainable.

If he could be a workhorse, I'd be fine with him as a mid-rotation guy (#3). Unfortunately, his Dur/Sta are a bit light, and without top control he's going to burn up his PC faster. With that, he's more of a back of the rotation guy, and will make a very solid ML swingman.
4/10/2013 3:46 PM
Indecisive owner re: roster decisions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.