I'm curious what people think about 
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Del Swann
My advanced scouting (which isn't very good) tells me that he could end up with a range of 100 and a glove of 95... freakin' gold glove material. 
It also says he could end up with a contact rating of 100, a power rating of 42, a vL of 41, and a vR of... 16. (Eye potential: 73, Speed: 94, Baserunning: 89)
Is he a viable starter? That vR has me worried. 
Thanks!

5/6/2013 11:45 PM
I cant see his entire profile as the firewall at work stops them for soem reason... ,...

but based on the stats you told me... no... bench player, def replacement/pinch runner on a contenting team... IMO
5/6/2013 11:59 PM
He has only one more season of really good development left.
Going by his current ratings and looking at how he has progressed so far, I would say the following things are likely true:

His range isn't going to gain 15 points. He may hit 90, but I doubt it.
He will not get to an 80 glove, (probably more like 75-77) so not really a gold glover.
His Vs L will not hit 40.
16 is probably about right for Vs R.
His eye will not get to 70.
He may get to 90 contact, but probably not.
Power at 42 seems a bit of a stretch. I'd say he never gets to 40.
His eye will probably max out at 65 or so, which combined with his 0 temper makes him a guy who will have a decent OBP compared to his AVG, but still pretty poor most of the time.

As fast eddy said he'd be a def replacement /pinch runner type.

Which might allow for a sub par defensive 2B starter who can rake.
5/7/2013 1:29 AM
I should also say that he could also start on a "rebuliding team" who was not looking to contend or had  a hole at CF , he is ML servacable player who ould do in a pintch if your stuck ..

But always looking for an upgrade and now woth more then a 300k salary.

And nothing more then a bench player to a team looking to contend for playoffs.. your need more "pop" form a CF
5/7/2013 2:59 AM (edited)
He's a decent bench player.    Moreso if you're a running team.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ed Dunn is the best example I have.   He's won two consecutive GG in CF but I'm constantly looking for an upgrade.   It's hard to carry a bat like that.   That said, his D makes my patchwork pitching staff look good.
5/7/2013 8:17 AM
Posted by dunkingchunk on 5/6/2013 11:45:00 PM (view original):
I'm curious what people think about 
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Del Swann
My advanced scouting (which isn't very good) tells me that he could end up with a range of 100 and a glove of 95... freakin' gold glove material. 
It also says he could end up with a contact rating of 100, a power rating of 42, a vL of 41, and a vR of... 16. (Eye potential: 73, Speed: 94, Baserunning: 89)
Is he a viable starter? That vR has me worried. 
Thanks!

If he hit those projections, yes he'd be a viable starter on a contending team in most Worlds. 

But, as others have mentioned, he won't hit those projections, and his glove won't be sufficiently above average for him to be a truly stellar D guy. He might be worth a bench spot while he is paid the league minimum, nothing thereafter. He's the sort of player I'd look for to fill out a roster cheaply when the Rule 5 draft comes.
5/7/2013 9:39 AM
Thanks for all your input. 

Let me throw a follow-up question out there:
I'm guessing that the relevant offensive ratings are Contact, Power, vR, vL, Eye, and Speed. Sometimes these seem so jumbled I don't know what to expect. 
What do ya'll think about players like this:

PLAYER A
Contact: 80     Power: 80     vR: 30     vL: 30     Eye: 60     Speed: 60

PLAYER B
Contact: 30     Power: 30     vR: 80     vL: 80     Eye: 60     Speed: 60

Sometimes I see folks with great splits but tough contact/power... what would you think about guys like this?
Thanks again! 
5/7/2013 11:34 AM
And another question:
Will someone explain to me how much to read into Patience, Makeup, and Temper? What do these mean? 

5/7/2013 11:39 AM
Posted by dunkingchunk on 5/7/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
And another question:
Will someone explain to me how much to read into Patience, Makeup, and Temper? What do these mean? 

On the main World page, click Help to the right of World Office. Scroll down and click Player Ratings.
5/7/2013 2:30 PM
Dunk, neither A or B is going to be much good, unless they are SS/CF with seriously good defense.  Say at least the minimum recommended.  But B would be ever so slightly better.  Batting wise the ratings go in importance like this (giving an importance out of 10)
10 vsR
9 power
7 vsL
7 eye
6 contact
5 baserunning
3 speed

Though a massive contact with massive speed, running, eye, and ofcourse splits even with practically no power is very very useful too as a leadoff hitter too.
5/7/2013 3:24 PM
Thanks. How would you rank pitching ratings in terms of important? (I think I've got a pretty decent grasp, just curious)

5/8/2013 12:15 AM
Posted by greeny9 on 5/7/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Dunk, neither A or B is going to be much good, unless they are SS/CF with seriously good defense.  Say at least the minimum recommended.  But B would be ever so slightly better.  Batting wise the ratings go in importance like this (giving an importance out of 10)
10 vsR
9 power
7 vsL
7 eye
6 contact
5 baserunning
3 speed

Though a massive contact with massive speed, running, eye, and ofcourse splits even with practically no power is very very useful too as a leadoff hitter too.
I would but. A Guy like that in 9... It is nice to have some pop and base at the top of line up especially with a obs fiend at 9...

I also have power and con tact a little more equal
5/8/2013 1:15 PM
Posted by greeny9 on 5/7/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
10 vsR
9 power
7 vsL
7 eye
6 contact
5 baserunning
3 speed

I'd agree with this depending on the place in the batting order. For example, a good 2 hole hitter needs a better eye/split/contact than an 8 hole hitter. A leadoff hitter similarly needs a eye/split/contact/BR/SP.
5/8/2013 3:09 PM
Pitching is similarish in terms of importance that is VSR is the most important...

10 vsR
8-9 1st pitch
8 control
7 vsL
6 2nd pitch
5 velocity
4 GB/FB
4 3rd pitch
3 4th pitch
2 5th pitch

fast eddy and mburgy; Im just giving general importance to individual ratings.  You can go up or down from these according to what spot in the lineup you plan on putting the guy, and ofcourse defense enters into the equation too, but those add too many variables that I think has to be decided upon by each person.
yah contact maybe should be more like 6-7, but for a leadoff hitter its more like 10 with power being more like 5  But splits are always important esp VsR

5/8/2013 3:48 PM
Put more simply what would be an ultimate hitter that is actually not impossible to see:
batting line of:
60 90 70 100 70 50
Any ratings that are better then above is gravy ofcourse.
5/8/2013 3:54 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.