Leaving Less than 20 players on ML roster Topic

I'm looking to bring up a bunch of players after 21  games (sidenote is it 20, or 23, I keep seeing all these figures floated on there, how many games into the ML season do you have to wait to get that extra year of BL time?), to the BL level. I know the BL roster minimum is 20 in that it won't let me drop any players from the roster now, but do I need to ahve 20 players by the time season opens? What would happen if I have less than 20, would it auto promote players? 
11/4/2013 12:10 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
To be fair, I'm not sure you need more than 20 to start the BL season because of all the off days.  However, running 18-19 out there certainly looks bush league if nothing else.   9-10 position players, 9 pitchers?   No team would even think to do that.
11/4/2013 2:32 PM
I'm not tanking.. I'm trying to bring a bunch of prospects who all developed together at once. Check my team history and look at my payroll the past few seasons. Thus I have like 8 guys in the minors ready to bring up but I'm trying to get an extra season out of them. So I'm trying to figure out how many I can hold back for the 20 games at once and then bring them up.
11/4/2013 2:35 PM
OK, I'll answer the question that hasn't been asked.

If you bring 8 players up all at once, you'll have 8 players going thru arb together and 8 players going thru FA together.  You probably don't want that so, IMO, your problem is solved.   Bring up 4 to start, 4 after 20. 
11/4/2013 2:48 PM
Good point mike. Thanks. I read your post a few days ago about holding players back, but could you or anyone else shed more insight as to whether it's better to hold sp, or rp or position players back the 20 games vs bringing them up right at the start.

Thanks
11/4/2013 3:02 PM
It's better to hold pitchers back if you're playing that game.    They'll hold their ratings deeper into their careers.   Position players will start to decline in their early 30s.
11/4/2013 3:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/4/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):
It's better to hold pitchers back if you're playing that game.    They'll hold their ratings deeper into their careers.   Position players will start to decline in their early 30s.
Just to elaborate a bit (and repeating what Mike has said on other threads):  Range and power tend to decline first.  So if you have a line-drive hitting C or 1B he'll retain his value later than a slugging CF or SS.
11/4/2013 3:36 PM
Physical traits decline earlier to be a bit more specific.
11/4/2013 3:55 PM
I didn't say you were tanking but palying with less than a full roster certainly will look like you are.
11/4/2013 6:43 PM
So you're saying that you would never join a world where it "looked" like someone "might" be tanking? Ya that makes a lot of sense...

To the OP - bringing up good prospects 20mL cycles into the season (usually 19 ML games) doesn't have anything to do with tanking. Tanking is when you don't intend to do much winning. Bring them all up at once if you want to so long as you can handle it fatigue-wise and have a legit person to defensively cover each position until then.

On a side note, maybe once every 4 seasons or so I end up with 23-24 players on my ML roster. It may be that I have an injury and simply don't see any need to find another body, or I may just roll the whole season that way, and these are teams with winning records. If guy #25 isn't going to help you win one more game then there's really no point in wasting money on him. JMO.
11/5/2013 6:56 AM
I started my most recent season in Coop with 22.    I claimed a guy off waivers 15 games in(owners like to attempt to pass guys thru waivers when rosters are set) and promoted a pitcher after game 22(waiting for him to be back to 100%).   Only have 24 on the roster now at game 36.   I have players with 5 AB(WW claim) and 13(defensive spec that's played in 25 games).   I've got pitchers with 13, 17 and 17 IP.    I dare say I could be sitting at 22 right now without a problem. 

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ellie Harris is due to come off the DL on 11/10 and I'm going to give him a shot as a PH off the bench barring an injury bomb.
11/5/2013 8:10 AM
I've gone with less than 25 before as well.  But going with 19 or 20 will be an issue before game 20, I'm almost positive.  And yea, if I'm in that league, I'm not happy if/when he's losing games because the 3rd reliever he throws out there from games 10-20 is fatigued.

EDIT: On second thought, If you're an AL team, you can probably get away with it if you only have 9 or 10 hitters.  But again, I'm uncomfortable with it if it's obviously affecting team performance.

11/5/2013 9:10 AM (edited)
I'm not sure, over the first 20, that you'd see fatigued pitching.  Unless, of course, the dreaded back to back extra inning games occur.    As I said, 35 games in, I've got 47 IP split between 3 pitchers.   I'm not sure I couldn't have covered those extra 20ish innings over the first 20 without those three pitchers.
11/5/2013 10:03 AM
12 Next ▸
Leaving Less than 20 players on ML roster Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.