Spring Training Survey Topic

As I'm sitting here filling out my pre Spring Training lineups, I was wondering how much effort other coaches put into Spring Training
Votes: 39
(Last vote received: 11/26/2016 5:45 PM)
11/7/2013 12:52 PM
You probably have to define "tweak".    My BL players get 10 AB or 3 appearances.   The rest of ST "tweaking" is me moving minor leaguers in/out in an effort to get them at least 10 AB.
11/7/2013 12:56 PM
I get my 25-man roster about 20 ABs and 5-10 IP and then play all minor leaguers (prospects or not) the rest of the way.

Not sure that's any of the above.
11/7/2013 1:06 PM
I maintain all my usual settings.  My starters play the first 4 games and then are rested for the duration of ST; 2 or 3 more "platoons" of position players come in behind them and play 4-7 games each.  I maintain a 6-9 man rotation, make all other pitchers SuA, and rest any bullpen pitcher who hits 5 IP.

As long as pitchers and position players don't lose DUR, ST, or HE over the offseason and have to "rebuild it" during ST, I see no reason to do the extra work to mimic real ST.

11/7/2013 1:10 PM
Tweak would mean, putting any effort in.
11/7/2013 1:34 PM
Then I probably need to change my answer.  
11/7/2013 2:09 PM
recently, and I may have hallucinated this, but my feeling from reading in between the lines of HBD site staff is that appearances count more than anything.  I make sure my prospects appear in as many games as I can get them and that Big Leaguers get 6 games
11/7/2013 5:10 PM
I used to give my starters some play time, but then I lost my ace for 80 days in his first ST appearance after he threw 5 pitches.  Now I send all my starters away on vacation until the regular season begins.  
11/7/2013 5:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/7/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
You probably have to define "tweak".    My BL players get 10 AB or 3 appearances.   The rest of ST "tweaking" is me moving minor leaguers in/out in an effort to get them at least 10 AB.
Almost exactly what I do with position players.  My BL pitchers get one start or a couple/three relief appearances.  Once the get past 5 innings, they're done.  The remaining lion share of minor at bats/innings goes to my future ML prospects.
11/8/2013 9:25 AM
I can't think of a good reason to play anyone between the ages of 27-30 in ST, and pitchers up to age 33 or so.  But I do it anyway in case I'm missing something.  
11/8/2013 9:26 AM
Posted by timb116 on 11/7/2013 5:10:00 PM (view original):
recently, and I may have hallucinated this, but my feeling from reading in between the lines of HBD site staff is that appearances count more than anything.  I make sure my prospects appear in as many games as I can get them and that Big Leaguers get 6 games
I had staff respond in a ticket that it was games played that was the factor, not necessarily innings pitched or at bats. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone else got a different answer.
11/8/2013 11:32 AM
Play your ML starters enough to get them in opening day shape, and get your best young prospects as much PT as possible.
11/9/2013 5:31 PM
Spring Training Survey Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.