Blowing a lot of saves. Help. Topic

I dunno if my bullpen is just plain awful or what. But I seem to be blowing a lot of saves. If people could check out my pitching staff and tell me whose ML caliber and whose not. also which one should be my closer?

2/19/2014 11:12 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3136557

I suspect the engine recognizes the most effective attributes for closers as high durability + low stamina, high strikeout rate ("velocity"), high control, high "stuff" aka P1 and P2 as high as possible, high GB/FB, and high make-up (to avoid blow-ups, or something)
2/19/2014 11:40 PM
Your short RP(under 40 stamina) are horrible.  

Gomez is the only one I'd keep in a BL bullpen.
2/20/2014 9:34 AM
I'd only keep Griffith but I agree with Mike none of them are really that good.
2/20/2014 11:14 AM
Griffith is borderline for me.    Good pitch/bad pitch guys are always inconsistent for me. 
2/20/2014 11:20 AM
A lot of them have decent potential ratings that you guys can't see. So I guess the question is what are some baseline stat numbers I should look for
2/20/2014 11:24 AM
First, Griffith is the only one likely to improve and not a whole lot.   The others aren't getting better.

Simplistic breakdown, because everything can move down if another rating moves up, 70 control, 70+ splits, P1/P2 80+/70+.   The higher the velocity the better and I don't like RP with low GB.   If you were to look at my teams, you might find 1-2 with splits under 75.    So, for RP, I think that's the most important rating.  VR specifically.
2/20/2014 11:50 AM
Posted by kevintam90 on 2/20/2014 11:24:00 AM (view original):
A lot of them have decent potential ratings that you guys can't see. So I guess the question is what are some baseline stat numbers I should look for
Back to the ratings:
1) Potential ratings have nothing at all to do with how a player performs in the here and now.
2) For the most part, your bullpen is done developing, no matter what the potential ratings are.  Look at your 3 26-year old relievers, and what their actual development pattern has been-- do you think they'll all of a sudden jump up and reach those ratings?  Griffith and Rogers are going to develop a little more, but that's about it.
3) You have to remember that 70 is a just OK big-league rating for a pitcher; 75 is just a touch above average.  So for every important rating-- control, splits, P1 (most would say P2) that is below 75, you have to have some other rating much higher than that to justify the low rating.  You can use pitchers with an important rating in the 50s but other important ratings have to balance it out.
4) Given that, when I look at your bullpen I see Griffith who is solid but not special, Montgomery and Montero who are awful, and a bunch of other guys that are just marginal.  Having one or two of those guys at pre-arb salaries in a bullpen is OK, but you can't have 4 of them and expect to be happy, especially not with the M&M boys being even worse.  Invest a little in better key ratings and you'll be happier.
2/20/2014 11:55 AM
Wow, I have never agreed with Mike so much in my life.
2/20/2014 11:56 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2014 11:50:00 AM (view original):
First, Griffith is the only one likely to improve and not a whole lot.   The others aren't getting better.

Simplistic breakdown, because everything can move down if another rating moves up, 70 control, 70+ splits, P1/P2 80+/70+.   The higher the velocity the better and I don't like RP with low GB.   If you were to look at my teams, you might find 1-2 with splits under 75.    So, for RP, I think that's the most important rating.  VR specifically.
Could clarify by what you mean by if "Everything can move down if another rating moves up"?

I've never seen a rating go down when another one goes up at the same time in my much more limited experience compared to Mike. 
2/20/2014 1:07 PM
He wasn't talking about development patterns, he was giving his baseline rating for major league pitchers and saying that, for instance, if a guy had 80+ splits, he wouldn't worry about control being below 70.
2/20/2014 1:27 PM
Posted by dedelman on 2/20/2014 11:56:00 AM (view original):
On the bright side, you know that you're right today. 
2/20/2014 1:50 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 2/20/2014 1:27:00 PM (view original):
He wasn't talking about development patterns, he was giving his baseline rating for major league pitchers and saying that, for instance, if a guy had 80+ splits, he wouldn't worry about control being below 70.
Correct.

70/70/70  C/VL/VR  80/70 P1/P2, which is what I sort of call a minimum for short relievers, could be offset with 55/80/80  87/67.   

That sort of thing. 
2/20/2014 1:52 PM

Keep in mind no matter how old they are wont develop al lot after their 4th full season so you can ignore the potential ratings after that. Going up 1 point in VR between seasons 5-6 isn't going to change who they are. That's why we didn't really ask about potential with the guys you have on your ML team.

2/20/2014 2:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2014 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 2/20/2014 11:56:00 AM (view original):
On the bright side, you know that you're right today. 
True/True/unrelated
2/20/2014 3:34 PM
12 Next ▸
Blowing a lot of saves. Help. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.