Critical news debate Topic

• Owners will only be able to view historical ratings for players within their franchise. If the player isn't in your organization, you'll only be able to see Current Ratings, Projected Ratings and other rating changes from the current season.
  • Prospects (until signed) will only display projected ratings instead of both current and projected ratings.  This change was necessary to best accomplish the next item...
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
  • International prospects will now hit the market with low demands, so supply/demand can better dictate the player's skill and so that bonus demand can no longer be used to infer player quality*
  • Diamonds in the Rough logic has been improved so that there will be fewer, yet more impactful player bumps.
  • A few other prospect-player development adjustments we'd prefer not to explicitly detail.*
  • Hall of Fame Voting page has been revamped
5/7/2015 4:37 PM
My world is going to roll probably right when this happens so we'll be the beta testers.... wish our season ended a week or two ahead so that we could see how it was affecting other worlds.. 
5/7/2015 4:38 PM
Without knowing just how extreme the "fuzziness" is going to be, fuzzier projections only further magnifies how important current ratings would be for evaluating a prospect.

I'd have rather seen current prospect ratings be tied to if they wanted to make things fuzzier than eliminate them altogether.

5/7/2015 4:42 PM
Good discussion so far. Please keep it coming.
5/7/2015 4:46 PM
My assumption on projected ratings is that they'll be better the more $$$ you put into scouting.   I'm sure of this.   My 2nd assumption is that "fuzzy" does not mean a projected 88/88/73/71/86 with 20m in scouting will NOT be a 43/61/37/51/48 when he's fully developed.     This I am not sure of.    My 3rd assumption is that the fuzzy will not project a 60 current and a 75 current to the same fully developed number with proper $$$ in scouting.   I'm pretty sure of this.
5/7/2015 4:50 PM
Posted by alleyviper on 5/7/2015 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Without knowing just how extreme the "fuzziness" is going to be, fuzzier projections only further magnifies how important current ratings would be for evaluating a prospect.

I'd have rather seen current prospect ratings be tied to if they wanted to make things fuzzier than eliminate them altogether.

They had to eliminate current ratings for those of us who have zeroed both draft budgets in some worlds. With 0/0, I've still been able to make some decent draft picks using the current ratings.
5/7/2015 4:52 PM
Again, to repeat myself, if I can see current ratings, I'm less inclined to care about projections.    Give me a current 75 and I'll take him over a 60 current every time.    And, if I can get that with 0 scouting, I'm all in with 0 scouting.    Which changes nothing from what happens today.
5/7/2015 4:53 PM
IMO, for the advanced scouting really to have an impact...it should also impact what current ratings you see for opposing teams players in the minors. Or, maybe you only see projections for minor league players. 
5/7/2015 4:55 PM
I think, and I will be corrected if wrong, that this will stop the people who lose 110 games on purpose for two years, because the #1 pick is now not 300 times more valuable than #8 pick. You can draft a guy up there who do only so-so
5/7/2015 5:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Again, to repeat myself, if I can see current ratings, I'm less inclined to care about projections.    Give me a current 75 and I'll take him over a 60 current every time.    And, if I can get that with 0 scouting, I'm all in with 0 scouting.    Which changes nothing from what happens today.
So, again, tie a prospect's current ratings to your scouting instead of eliminating current ratings entirely.

e: honestly, it may not be a bad idea to tie *all* ratings of all players to scouting, current and projected
5/7/2015 5:14 PM (edited)
Posted by alleyviper on 5/7/2015 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
So, again, tie a prospect's current ratings to your scouting instead of eliminating current ratings entirely.

e: honestly, it may not be a bad idea to tie *all* ratings of all players to scouting, current and projected
If all ratings were tied to scouting, that would just swing the pendulum to the opposite spectrum with everyone budgeting 16-20M and leaving it alone.  The trick is making it have some value to make people budget for it but also leaving the option for folks to choose not to.
5/7/2015 5:18 PM
Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Am I missing something?  Other than losing the ability to predict the final ratings for other people's prospects, I am not seeing a strong pull to alter my Advanced scouting budget in this update.
Yes, I thought this as well. I think we should be allowed to change our ADV by more than 4M the first season that this change takes affect.
5/7/2015 5:20 PM
I really like most of these proposed changes. The fight over high value IFAs will now be more interesting in that you won't be able to automatically infer value based on initial demands. You will also have to budget more carefully now that ADV might carry more weight.
5/7/2015 5:20 PM
Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 3:43:00 PM (view original):
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
This is the one that seems like the most concerning.  How fuzzy are we talking?  Do we suddenly start drafting first rounders or paying big money to IFAs and have them turn out to be busts even with high draft or IFA scouting budgets?

Like having high DPs or expensive IFAs were never busts in the real ML? You might not be happy when it happens, but it will be more realistic than it is now.
5/7/2015 5:24 PM
I like the updates as posted. I hated the $0 advanced scouting scheme. I seldom participate in international hiring. It's so far fetched from reality I can't make myself a serious competitor. There also seems to be something else waiting in the wings. Can't wait.

BRAVO.
5/7/2015 5:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.