Critical news debate Topic

Posted by sgmedia on 5/7/2015 5:49:00 PM (view original):
I have a problem with not being able to reset my 0 ADV with only one of my teams.  Most of my teams I made my bed and now have to lie in it...but my team in Billy Beane I took over just a couple of weeks ago, in the playoffs, and it had a 0 ADV budget.  I have a problem with the fact that I took that on with no knowledge that the update was coming, and now cannot change it to accommodate the update and never had any of the perceived pre-update benefits of it.  I'm sure that's a rare scenario, but there must be at least a few people who will be affected very negatively by that, and whom WIS should allow to reset their budgets.
So you think WifS should make "special exceptions"?
5/7/2015 5:54 PM
I like the changes. As more of a causal player who always uses a high ADV its nice that this will not put me at as much as a disadvantage.  As far as seeing the current rating of unsigned prospects, it seems to me that if MikeT is right and and they use a grading system for projections (1-8 or A-F) they could, in theory, use the same grading system for current ratings.  That way you would get an idea.  
5/7/2015 5:57 PM
I have a problem with not being able to reset my 0 ADV with only one of my teams.  Most of my teams I made my bed and now have to lie in it...but my team in Billy Beane I took over just a couple of weeks ago, in the playoffs, and it had a 0 ADV budget.  I have a problem with the fact that I took that on with no knowledge that the update was coming, and now cannot change it to accommodate the update and never had any of the perceived pre-update benefits of it.  I'm sure that's a rare scenario, but there must be at least a few people who will be affected very negatively by that, and whom WIS should allow to reset their budgets.
I couldn't disagree more.
You had the pre-update benefit of having 20M being spent elsewhere.
It is no different than the rest of your teams.
If you HAD been running the team for 3 seasons or more it would be at 0.

It is really not a game changer in terms of hurting current owners with 0 advanced. It will take awhile to get to a reasonable number, but as is already being discussed some will play the wait and see game anyway. It doesn't hurt your current players at all. It doesn't affect your HS/College projections at all. It doesn't hurt your IFA scouting at all. All it hurts is your ability to "project other teams prospects for a few seasons. 

It makes ADV Scouting more relevant but I seriously don't buy that it is somehow a devastating blow to the owners running 0 for the last 20+ seasons.

5/7/2015 5:57 PM
Posted by themergerguy on 5/7/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):

It is really not a game changer in terms of hurting current owners with 0 advanced. It will take awhile to get to a reasonable number, but as is already being discussed some will play the wait and see game anyway. It doesn't hurt your current players at all. It doesn't affect your HS/College projections at all. It doesn't hurt your IFA scouting at all. All it hurts is your ability to "project other teams prospects for a few seasons. 

It makes ADV Scouting more relevant but I seriously don't buy that it is somehow a devastating blow to the owners running 0 for the last 20+ seasons.

In a sick way, I hope you're wrong.

I hope ADV affects all domestic/international prospect projections.    The HS/Coll/IFA could show how MANY of those you see while ADV gives the accurate projections.   THAT would make ADV important.

That would be a little bit of a kick in the sack for us 0 ADV guys but, if you're in MG/Coop, we're all starting at the same point.  
5/7/2015 6:00 PM
Posted by mik182bre on 5/7/2015 5:45:00 PM (view original):
I would also like to know.  Will a draft prospect's projections be based on HS/Coll scouting $$ or Adv scouting $$?

I believe in the past HS/Coll $$ provided more accurate projections for potential draftees while ADV provided projections for players currently on your(or someone elses) roster. I would see better projections for my draftees because I put more money there. Once they signed I would see a change because of 0 ADV, but it seems the HS/Coll projections were more accurate.

5/7/2015 6:02 PM
My feelings are if they're going to try and coerce you into putting more money into scouting then they should include fixing the injury issue's so we don't have to keep dumping 20M into training and medical and free up some budget space.
5/7/2015 6:03 PM
Yes, that's how it worked.
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 6:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by themergerguy on 5/7/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):

In a sick way, I hope you're wrong.

I hope ADV affects all domestic/international prospect projections.    The HS/Coll/IFA could show how MANY of those you see while ADV gives the accurate projections.   THAT would make ADV important.

That would be a little bit of a kick in the sack for us 0 ADV guys but, if you're in MG/Coop, we're all starting at the same point.  
Good point. I guess this is something that should be clarified.
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:03:00 PM (view original):
My feelings are if they're going to try and coerce you into putting more money into scouting then they should include fixing the injury issue's so we don't have to keep dumping 20M into training and medical and free up some budget space.

No one is forced to put $ into training or medical.   There are a lot of 0 medical owners out there.    Not so many 0 training because it affects development.

5/7/2015 6:05 PM
I really think that the budgets for scouting should not be so wide (and correspondingly the overall budget of 185 can be shrunk down), basically anything below $10 are pretty meaningless projections (but it's not as if you can $9 million means you're off by 5 points, and $8m means you're off by 7 points, etc.), I think the difference in scouting budgets should really just be between 0-10, if not less. 
5/7/2015 6:05 PM
In the long run, owners will get about the same results as they always have. There might be a slight transition period, and maybe this will inject a bit more luck into it. But it will still come down to effort spent analyzing the game and individual ability to analyze.
5/7/2015 6:08 PM
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Training is very important to development as well as affecting how quickly or slowly your aging vets decline. I can't see a benefit to reduce that. Medical is different in that I finally came to a decision to punt the medical budget for the most part and just suck it up if a player got hurt.

I had seen too many guys with 90+ health get season ending injuries as well as quite a few guys with sub 50 health ratings go their entire career without a major injury. It is basically a crap shoot, and that's true to real life. IF you go 20 on medical then the severity of the injury and the recovery time is lessened, but ultimately I just didn't find it to be worth 20M any longer. I don't think these need tweaking, with the possible exception of fixing the injury bug, and I don't even have a big issue with that either.
5/7/2015 6:08 PM
Posted by rbedwell on 5/7/2015 6:08:00 PM (view original):
In the long run, owners will get about the same results as they always have. There might be a slight transition period, and maybe this will inject a bit more luck into it. But it will still come down to effort spent analyzing the game and individual ability to analyze.
This is what I really hope they didn't do. 
IMO, the introduction of "more luck" takes away from a very complex and well designed game.

5/7/2015 6:10 PM
Actually, this is going to result in a big blitz of people downloading entire rosters in every league before the change.  A smart commissioner would work a quid pro quo with commissioners in other leagues or have the rosters posted somewhere, so n00bs aren't at a total disadvantage entering a new league.
5/7/2015 6:11 PM
Do you really believe that?    Not even a consideration for me and I've got as much free time as anyone.
5/7/2015 6:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.