Critical news debate Topic

All good discussion points but the only thing that bothers me is that there was no "heads-up" to everyone on so drastic a change.  So folks could formulate a strategy and prepare.  Adv scouting was useless and now it may become important.  It remains to be seen how drastically it effects the game.   I'm not against the change.  But I think its pretty nasty to just drop it on the community without any warning.
5/7/2015 10:29 PM
That doesn't bother me because it was such an unrealistic thing to begin with (running with zero scouting). Outside of some perverse Marge Schott fantasy, that would never happen with a single franchise, much less the majority of a league.
5/7/2015 10:36 PM
In real life, scouting is all about a players current skills, stats, techniques, and age (experience). Future projections are only clairvoyance.
5/7/2015 11:09 PM
Posted by cougdawg on 5/7/2015 10:29:00 PM (view original):
All good discussion points but the only thing that bothers me is that there was no "heads-up" to everyone on so drastic a change.  So folks could formulate a strategy and prepare.  Adv scouting was useless and now it may become important.  It remains to be seen how drastically it effects the game.   I'm not against the change.  But I think its pretty nasty to just drop it on the community without any warning.
They're giving us about 3 weeks' warning. And most of the key changes won't take effect until each world's next rollover. Not sure how much more of a heads up they could give...
5/7/2015 11:12 PM
I do agree with coug that they should have given us a full season + warning. This is a pretty big change, and to say that you can still only change things by 4M per budget item is pretty harsh. It's like they are trying to stick a knife into those owners who ran with 0 ADV. Still, I don't think this is that much of a game changer for experienced owners, anyway.
5/7/2015 11:49 PM
It was obvious that whenever they got around to an update, ADV was going to be high on the list. There has been enough discussion about it over several years — Mike T alone probably has mentioned it dozens of times — that anyone who pays attention knew that $0 ADV ran the risk of being left behind when an update came along. I've used $0 ADV with all of my teams as soon as I could, and don't see how I can complain about a couple of seasons being behind after using that extra $10M-$20M every season. Without knowing whether or how ADV will be tied into the murkier parts of the update, it's hardly clear that this will be a "drastic" change. Numerous posts in this thread question whether the changes are even going to force $0 ADV owners to change their strategy.
5/7/2015 11:54 PM
I'll be honest, I don't see a lot of people capturing them ratings for every player every season. I have a spreadsheet that will do it automatically for every world I am in with q touch of a single button and I'm not even sure I am going to bother.
5/8/2015 12:02 AM
I think the most likely outcome is people who run 0 Advanced scouting will just avoid trades involving youth.

5/8/2015 1:26 AM (edited)
The more I think about it the less I think it will effect y advance scouting budgets and trading. If you took him 5th overall and he's 20 with 1.000 OPS at AA I'm going to assume he's pretty good. My draft/IFA strategy will be effected, but not my trading. I may just avoid them at all and just always have a 125 mil payroll. We'll see.
5/8/2015 2:04 AM
Posted by joshkvt on 5/7/2015 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/7/2015 7:48:00 PM (view original):
My two cents: I hate the proposed changes to the amateur draft system. When a professional team scouts a player they gain a firm understanding of the players current skill level. For us to scout and not be able to see current ratings is unrealistic. When I finish playing through the seasons I've already purchased I don't believe I'll be purchasing more.
Comparing this to RL doesn't work. Professional teams' scouts are wrong about players' current ability all the time. Because this is a game based on ratings as opposed to RL skills, a player's current rating is accurate. A scout's take on how an LSU junior hits a curveball is not always accurate, and less likely to be accurate for a HS power hitter. There are first-round picks who never get out of A ball; that would never happen if RL teams always have a firm understanding of current skill level. It's more unrealistic that as the game works now we all see the same, 100% accurate current ratings.

The purpose of the change is not to mirror real life but to introduce ways to make ADV important. Getting rid of current ratings for other teams' players accomplishes that to some degree.
I'd argue that professional scouts are very rarely wrong about a player's current skill level, unless of course they're somewhat inept at their job. Either a player can presently range to his left or he can't, he can hit a curve or he can't, he can frame a pitch or he can't... these are things a trained eye can see. Good scouts aren't going to evaluate these types of things incorrectly. They may however mistakenly misjudge a player's potential to learn and improve, which more often than not is when you see a 1st round pick fail to ascend above A ball.

That's why not being able to view any type of current rating is unrealistic. If the goal is to eliminate the predictability of prospect development, change the development patterns and "fuzzy" up the projections. That stuff doesn't bother me because it still somewhat mirrors real life. Sacrificing realism (things a scout could see from the stands) in an effort to make advance scouting more "important" seems a bit excessive, and will cheapen the game for me at least.

I realize some folks aren't going to share the same opinion, and that's fine. I just figured I'd have my voice be heard.
5/8/2015 2:14 AM
I agree with the suggestion that advanced scouting should coveraccuracy of future ratings. Its dumb to have every team magically "forget" the ratings of all the players on the other teams. It is incredibly easy to get a list of all current players. It doesn't make sense to make the value of advanced scouting tied to your memory of a player's rating history.
5/8/2015 2:49 AM

Everyone complaining about "not enough warning" or "only being able to adjust 4m at a time" needs to look at their league's budget.    You're probably starting at the same point as everyone else in your world.   I checked my worlds and we are.   I checked journeyfans world, because he was the first to complain, and he is too. 

NO ONE IS AT A DISADVANTAGE.

5/8/2015 7:02 AM
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/8/2015 2:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by joshkvt on 5/7/2015 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/7/2015 7:48:00 PM (view original):
My two cents: I hate the proposed changes to the amateur draft system. When a professional team scouts a player they gain a firm understanding of the players current skill level. For us to scout and not be able to see current ratings is unrealistic. When I finish playing through the seasons I've already purchased I don't believe I'll be purchasing more.
Comparing this to RL doesn't work. Professional teams' scouts are wrong about players' current ability all the time. Because this is a game based on ratings as opposed to RL skills, a player's current rating is accurate. A scout's take on how an LSU junior hits a curveball is not always accurate, and less likely to be accurate for a HS power hitter. There are first-round picks who never get out of A ball; that would never happen if RL teams always have a firm understanding of current skill level. It's more unrealistic that as the game works now we all see the same, 100% accurate current ratings.

The purpose of the change is not to mirror real life but to introduce ways to make ADV important. Getting rid of current ratings for other teams' players accomplishes that to some degree.
I'd argue that professional scouts are very rarely wrong about a player's current skill level, unless of course they're somewhat inept at their job. Either a player can presently range to his left or he can't, he can hit a curve or he can't, he can frame a pitch or he can't... these are things a trained eye can see. Good scouts aren't going to evaluate these types of things incorrectly. They may however mistakenly misjudge a player's potential to learn and improve, which more often than not is when you see a 1st round pick fail to ascend above A ball.

That's why not being able to view any type of current rating is unrealistic. If the goal is to eliminate the predictability of prospect development, change the development patterns and "fuzzy" up the projections. That stuff doesn't bother me because it still somewhat mirrors real life. Sacrificing realism (things a scout could see from the stands) in an effort to make advance scouting more "important" seems a bit excessive, and will cheapen the game for me at least.

I realize some folks aren't going to share the same opinion, and that's fine. I just figured I'd have my voice be heard.
I assume you'd be unhappy if a HBD HS player's "current" reflected what they'd be at the BL level.    Essentially, you take a good HS prospect and put him on the mound or at the plate.    Almost all get destroyed in real life.     So every HS split/contact/eye would be in the 20s/30s as those are "learned" skills.    Would that be helpful?  I don't think so.
5/8/2015 7:11 AM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 7:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 6:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rwings1927 on 5/7/2015 6:03:00 PM (view original):
My feelings are if they're going to try and coerce you into putting more money into scouting then they should include fixing the injury issue's so we don't have to keep dumping 20M into training and medical and free up some budget space.

No one is forced to put $ into training or medical.   There are a lot of 0 medical owners out there.    Not so many 0 training because it affects development.

True but if they're making the $ put into scouting more indicative of a players numbers then the same should be done to medical, it's ridiculous to have a 90 health player get long term injuries in back to back seasons while a 20 health player can go years without a scratch.
But that's how life works.  Jason Kendall was one of the most durable C in baseball until he broke his leg running to first.
I agree with this 100%. Injuries are a crapshoot, because that's how they are in real life.

Personally I think a health rating is silly anyway. What's it supposed to be based on in RL? The guy has great MU and your running a 20/20 Training/Medical but the guy has a 35 health and it never improves?

What is he eating Whoppers 3 times a day and smoking a pack of Camels in the dugout?

LOL, leave Chet Lemon out of this.
5/8/2015 7:23 AM
Two outcomes I would expect to see:
  1. There will be fewer vet-for-prospect trades pre-season, and more of those toward the trading deadline when there is at least a hint of progression of other teams' players.
  2. It may be more difficult to get new owners to take teams laden with prospects - you won't be able to see projections nor history of progression among those prospects. That may prove to be a big downside.
5/8/2015 7:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.