Critical news debate Topic

Agree. I don't want to make them worse hitters. Maybe there can still be a few who cannot field any position, and those guys will still be lifelong DHs. But there should at least be a few guys who are capable of handling first base. Right now they basically don't exist.
5/8/2015 12:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 5/8/2015 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 11:29:00 AM (view original):
The big question that I hope you can answer:

Will ADV affect projections of prospects?
Or will HS/IFA/College budgets still be responsbile for those projections?
While I like the idea that advanced scouting shows projections for prospects and HS/IFA/College is strictly for how many prospects you see, that is a major change that not only effects a lot of owners, but changes the whole scouting system drastically.

When owners moved Advanced scouting to 0 they did so with the understanding that will give them the worst possible rating for making trades, but it had no effect on scouting for prospects. If what you said comes to fruition then having a 0 advanced scouting will be devastating in all aspects of trying to improve your team. With the restriction of only increasing it by 4 a season will take a owner about 3-4 seasons before they can raise it to a level of respectability. That is about a year of real life time and about $100 in cash.

I think if this is true in the short term you will see a lot of owners abandon their team and the short term effect will be a large turnover. Why spend 3 seasons of very little trading and no quality prospects when you can move to another team and start over or in the case of some owners quit altogether.

Disagree.   In my worlds, virtually everyone is starting at the same place.     It will take everyone the same amount of time to make adjustments. 

And I can pretty much guarantee not one single owner in MG or Coop will dump his team because ADV can only be moved by 4m at a time.  Not one.  If one does, good riddance.    Anyone who likes their team, or their world, isn't dumping teams because of a change in ADV.
Everyone currently in the world may be in the same situation, but a incoming owner can start at 18 which means they raised their advanced scouting from 0-18 in 1 season.

I have no doubt across all the worlds that there will be a much larger than normal turnover rate for a few seasons from owners choosing to take the quick fix adjustment path.

With that said I do like the idea of making advanced scouting valuable in all aspects and changing HS/COL/INT to effect how many prospects you see, I just think that is a major change that is vastly different from the system that we are currently using, which is how we the owners set our budgets in the first place. If your going to transition to something radically different then exceptions should be made, just give every owner for 1 season the option to wipe away their budgets and start as if they  were a new owner, I don't think that is a unreasonable request.

5/8/2015 12:51 PM
Posted by plague on 5/8/2015 12:52:00 PM (view original):

While I like the idea that advanced scouting shows projections for prospects and HS/IFA/College is strictly for how many prospects you see, that is a major change that not only effects a lot of owners, but changes the whole scouting system drastically.

When owners moved Advanced scouting to 0 they did so with the understanding that will give them the worst possible rating for making trades, but it had no effect on scouting for prospects. If what you said comes to fruition then having a 0 advanced scouting will be devastating in all aspects of trying to improve your team. With the restriction of only increasing it by 4 a season will take a owner about 3-4 seasons before they can raise it to a level of respectability. That is about a year of real life time and about $100 in cash.

I think if this is true in the short term you will see a lot of owners abandon their team and the short term effect will be a large turnover. Why spend 3 seasons of very little trading and no quality prospects when you can move to another team and start over or in the case of some owners quit altogether.

Disagree.   In my worlds, virtually everyone is starting at the same place.     It will take everyone the same amount of time to make adjustments. 

And I can pretty much guarantee not one single owner in MG or Coop will dump his team because ADV can only be moved by 4m at a time.  Not one.  If one does, good riddance.    Anyone who likes their team, or their world, isn't dumping teams because of a change in ADV.
Everyone currently in the world may be in the same situation, but a incoming owner can start at 18 which means they raised their advanced scouting from 0-18 in 1 season.

I have no doubt across all the worlds that there will be a much larger than normal turnover rate for a few seasons from owners choosing to take the quick fix adjustment path.

With that said I do like the idea of making advanced scouting valuable in all aspects and changing HS/COL/INT to effect how many prospects you see, I just think that is a major change that is vastly different from the system that we are currently using, which is how we the owners set our budgets in the first place. If your going to transition to something radically different then exceptions should be made, just give every owner for 1 season the option to wipe away their budgets and start as if they  were a new owner, I don't think that is a unreasonable request.

He can only start at 14 and I'll move to 4. 

I have a lot of doubt on that.    You might see some owners do it but, if they're established in a good world, they won't.  They simply will not leave a good world for a quick fix.    I'm positive of this.

We will adjust.  Changes have been made before and the "Sky is falling crowd" was wrong.   The sky did not fall.
5/8/2015 12:54 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/8/2015 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Agree. I don't want to make them worse hitters. Maybe there can still be a few who cannot field any position, and those guys will still be lifelong DHs. But there should at least be a few guys who are capable of handling first base. Right now they basically don't exist.
They can play a poor 1B or a poor RF.    Basically you're asking for more player types.    Maybe a 30/30/65/65/46 d-guy.   Sure, fine.   But we still need guys who can hit and can't field a position because it happens in the real world.    Hello, David Ortiz!!!!
5/8/2015 12:56 PM
To each their own. I hate the idea of making adv affect everything. It just means you have made it the budget equivalent of the Fielding instructor and force everyone to use 15-20. 

That may be the one change that would lead me to drop all my current worlds including the one I now comish and perhaps drive me back to playing the sim and Hoops Dynasty instead of HBD
5/8/2015 12:57 PM
No, it doesn't force anyone to do anything.

I'm seldom interested in IFA because they're too expensive.    I could easily punt the draft because I expect to pick mid/upper 20s all the time.   I could easily run 0/0/0/0.   I'm sure some do and more might.     Training is really the only "forced" budget item in the game.    And, if you don't care about developing/preventing decline, you could 0 that out.
5/8/2015 12:59 PM
And nice "I may give up HBD" post.   I think that's #3.   Which seems pretty low for page 22.
5/8/2015 1:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 5/8/2015 12:52:00 PM (view original):

He can only start at 14 and I'll move to 4. 

I have a lot of doubt on that.    You might see some owners do it but, if they're established in a good world, they won't.  They simply will not leave a good world for a quick fix.    I'm positive of this.

We will adjust.  Changes have been made before and the "Sky is falling crowd" was wrong.   The sky did not fall.
I am not saying the sky is falling. We will adjust, but what's fair is fair. If your going to transition from a system where ADVANCED SCOUTING had 0% to do with showing the quality of INT/COL/HS recruit to where its 100% in showing us the quality of a recruit then I think a fair and reasonable solution is for owners to have the option to reset their budgets. Everyone has the option, I don't see how that is a unreasonable request.

Of course this is all moot if this is not the way HBD is transitioning, I am just saying if this is the direction that HBD is going.

5/8/2015 1:01 PM
I don't agree at all. If there is one ring to rule them all everyone will want it. If adv suddenly becomes the single most important budget item because it is the only budget item that affects 3 other budget items then you are being forced to either 0 out everything, after all why scout col, hs or int if you wont see decent ratings anyway, or max out adv.
5/8/2015 1:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 1:00:00 PM (view original):
And nice "I may give up HBD" post.   I think that's #3.   Which seems pretty low for page 22.
I didn't mean I would leave the game but I would drop my current teams and join new worlds.
5/8/2015 1:05 PM
But everyone at 0 has been enjoying the benefit of it.   Virtually every veteran owner is at 0.   We're all starting at the same place.   So what if the n00b has an advantage for a couple of seasons?   Or if the long-time owner wasted 14m for 9 seasons has an advantage?    They've been playing baseball with 1920s gloves.   They can use a little break.

This is all "IT'S NOT FAIR TO ME!!!!!" whining.   You benefitted before.   Not so much today.
5/8/2015 1:06 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 5/8/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't agree at all. If there is one ring to rule them all everyone will want it. If adv suddenly becomes the single most important budget item because it is the only budget item that affects 3 other budget items then you are being forced to either 0 out everything, after all why scout col, hs or int if you wont see decent ratings anyway, or max out adv.
I'm not bothering to check another owner but do you have any IFA, HS or College budget that is not 0 or 20?

If you do, your argument has no merit.    If you don't, I'll have to confirm before continuing on with you.
5/8/2015 1:09 PM
OK, I checked.  First one.   
12 4 15

Why these if you think 20 will become a "must"?
5/8/2015 1:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 1:06:00 PM (view original):
But everyone at 0 has been enjoying the benefit of it.   Virtually every veteran owner is at 0.   We're all starting at the same place.   So what if the n00b has an advantage for a couple of seasons?   Or if the long-time owner wasted 14m for 9 seasons has an advantage?    They've been playing baseball with 1920s gloves.   They can use a little break.

This is all "IT'S NOT FAIR TO ME!!!!!" whining.   You benefitted before.   Not so much today.
It's not some noob that will benefit, its every owner noob or veteran that gets a new team.

You make changes that are better for the overall game.. I don't see how anyone can argue that its better for the game to leave the budgets as is after making such a radical change.

5/8/2015 1:10 PM
You people are making arguments that your history proves to be complete crap.   Don't do that because it's easy to check your budgets and rosters.   
5/8/2015 1:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.